1993 Ls 400 Tach And Speedo Work Intermitently

andybeandovecanyon

This problem is driving me crazy. Speedo and tach work for a week at a time.

Sometimes the speedo works and the tach does not. Soemtimes they both work.

Have found two sources for repair through my research on the internet.

Mr. Whizard.com says they rebuild the clusters for $189 including postage.

Also found some limited info on this web site re: Jim Walker.

Anyone have similar problems? Any experience with any of these two vendors?

Not having any problems with the needles lighting up. Speedo and tach just sit on zero.

Thanks

Andy

Andy@edsoninc.org

Jim Walker has been working on a fix for this problem, but I don't think he has it yet.

Try rapping on the top of the dash directly above the gauges. This usually brings mine to life. As a matter of fact, they have been working perfectly for about two weeks now. That last "high tech" blow on the dash must have been perfect.

mine use to do the same thing in my 93, i found out that it was related to a computer malfunction. but yours might not be as intense as my problem was bc the whole computer system went downhill after my gauges stopped working. 172K.

Jim Walker has been working on a fix for this problem, but I don't think he has it yet.

Try rapping on the top of the dash directly above the gauges.  This usually brings mine to life.  As a matter of fact, they have been working perfectly for about two weeks now.  That last "high tech" blow on the dash must have been perfect.

Recieved an email from Jim yesterday. He still does not have a fix. I am thinking about taking it to the dealer. They want $800 for the circuit board and 2.5hrs labor. Not even sure its the circuit board. The rapping seems to work on the tach but not the speedo. Damn thing has a peronality all of its own.

A

I have the same situation with my tachmeter and speedometer. My tachmeter has not acted up for a few months but the speedometer never got up again. There was another thread that mentions cleaning the ground connections but did not say where they are.