It’s Tune Up Time So How Much Time?

914lps

How much time on average should it take an experienced mechanic with all the needed tools to do the tune up (wires and plugs), if this is their first time on a Lexus and their using the tutorials.

Hi,

My guess is about 2 hours the first time and probably about 1 hr the second time around. Don't forget to change caps and rotors as well as they are sometimes overlooked. No special tools needed for this job.

This is just a guess as some people are slower or faster than others. I did it myself and I am a backyard mechanic and it took me 3+ hours the first time. Now I can replace plugs and wires in about 1 1/2hrs. Hope this helps, Daffy

Are you sure about caps and rotors? I know to do the plugs, and I know the wires need it, but it is a lot more work to get the caps off. And I though you left them allone unless you knew they were bad, or were taking them off to do other work anyway. Like water pump or timing belt????

Are you sure about caps and rotors?  I know to do the plugs, and I know the wires need it, but it is a lot more work to get the caps off.  And I though you left them allone unless you knew they were bad, or were taking them off to do other work anyway.  Like water pump or timing belt????

I had a miss in my car for about four years and Lexus dealer could not tell me where the problem was. I gave up on them and replaced everything myself (plugs, wires, cap and rotors) and even cleaned the throttle valve. My miss is gone and so I really feel the miss was coming from the caps and rotors. They do get a build up of some white stuff that prevents electricity from flowing. The price for the caps and rotors are not expensive so why wouldn't you change them? It wasn't picked up on the scope when I took it into Lexus so how do you know when to change them? I would recommend changing them every 100,000 miles max. That's long enough, Daffy