Cabin Filter Replacement

1lola1

Report from Magdelene...

"I've been trying to change cabin filter in my 97 es300 and its been a

nightmare. I went and ordered a filter, waited for three days, looked

thru manual, asked employees of a store, where is it located?. Someone

told me that it is behind a glovecompartment, looked there, nothing.

Searched web, found out that filter supposed to be next to the gas pedal,

looked there, couldnt really get to it. So, I went to mechanics, they

checked in their computer and told me that my car does not have a cabin

filter. Hovewer they called Lexus dealership, just to be sure, gave my

Vin number, someone in parts dept. said that my car has the filter.

Cutting to the chase today I finally found it, openned it and there was

no filter inside and ones that I bought do not fit.<br />Can someone

explain?"

Magdalene:

I would like you to read all of the replies in this post. The reason why I am stipulating this is because it tells you where it would be, and if it's not there you're car probably doesn't have it.

• 3 months later...

Lola,

don't feel bad, i have gotten responses like that and i AM a mechanical engineer!!!

don't give it a second thought if you have a question, some us will try to help you gracefully.

chargerucd

RTFM!!!!!

The filter replacement is the easiest DIY project and takes less than 5 minutes.

It is all covered in your owners manual WITH pictures. Look in the index under Air conditioning filter. (Page 167-168 in the 2002 ES Manual.)

I change it once a year.

Don't be surprised if the new filter emits a slight and distinct odor (but clean odor) too. They are not the same filters that were sold in 2003. I think the manufacturer changed when Toyota changed oil filter manufacturers. They have less charcol and are not as sturdy as the original ones. On the positive side, they are half the price they were sold for in 2003 also.

steviej

Wow. Why only 5 exlcamation points after the all caps RTFM? Shouldn't you have maybe used 12 to try and make me look like an idiot? It's true, my graduate degree is not in automobile mechanics, so perhaps I'm just a "dumb girl" when it comes to cars. However, when someone asks me a question pertaining to law, no matter how rudimentary the question may be, I don't treat that person like a fool. In attempt not to burden "Your Highness" with such banal questions, I won't return to the site. I would like to point out that according to the replies I got, several others did not know where the filter was either.

Mine is 2000 ES so the cabin air filter is located under dash and I know I have to pull the carpeting next to the gas pedal, but I can't seem to pull it all the way down. Should I use greater force? Wouldn't that damage the carpeting? I bought the filter online a couple months ago and I still have it in the trunk.

^^ Yeah, if the filter has never been changed, then more than likely it will take a great amount of force to pull down the carpeting in front of the access door for the A/C filter. Once you pull it down just enough, you'll see the a rectangular door for the A/C filter which you can remove (you may have to move some wirings out of the way to gain access), and then you can go from there to replace the filter.

• 11 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey guys. Regarding the cabin filter for the ES300... I own a 93 ES300 and when I pulled the carpet back near the gas pedal I noticed the white plastic cover. Naturally I took the cover off thinking there is a slot that the filter goes in. Well, I can't figure out where it goes because the are two coper colored tubes running horizontally and they are very warm to touch (I figure they are providing the heat for the ventalation). Does anyone know if I'm just not looking in the right place or am I on the right track?

FOUND THE FILTER AREA!!!!!!!!! WHOOOO. Ok for other people that can't find it the compartment is located down by the gas pedal just like everyone says, but it is located in a compartment toward the front of the car, by the gas pedal and is about 6 inches high by 1 1/2 to 2 inches wide. I opened mine up and found a lot of dried grass and dirt debris. Next task will be to vacume it out then install a new filter made by Fram. (FRAM Part # CF8638)

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...
<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>RTFM!!!!!</span>

The filter replacement is the easiest DIY project and takes less than 5 minutes.

It is all covered in your owners manual WITH pictures.  Look in the index under Air conditioning filter.  (Page 167-168 in the 2002 ES Manual.)

I change it once a year. 

Don't be surprised if the new filter emits a slight and distinct odor (but clean odor) too.  They are not the same filters that were sold in 2003.  I think the manufacturer changed when Toyota changed oil filter manufacturers.  They have less charcol and are not as sturdy as the original ones.  On the positive side, they are half the price they were sold for in 2003 also.

steviej

Wow.  Why only 5 exlcamation points after the all caps RTFM?  Shouldn't you have maybe used 12 to try and make me look like an idiot?  It's true, my graduate degree is not in automobile mechanics, so perhaps I'm just a "dumb girl" when it comes to cars.  However, when someone asks me a question pertaining to law, no matter how rudimentary the question may be, I don't treat that person like a fool.  In attempt not to burden "Your Highness" with such banal questions, I won't return to the site.  I would like to point out that according to the replies I got, several others did not know where the filter was either.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

When and if you return, please attempt to learn to use the quote feature. It ain't rocket science.

This string is a joke!!! I have found a wealth of information here. A nice man posted a how to for tail lights WITH PICTURES that helped me immensely. I posted a how to on hood struts...WITH PICTURES. But if you read through this string there is a lot of talk about how easy it is to find and replace and how the owners manual covers all...but no one says where or how to! The owners manual does not cover my 96 es300. This supposed filter is still elusive to me and this string was a waist of my time. Thanks for nothing guys!!!! *s* :P

Mine is 2000 ES so the cabin air filter is located under dash and I know I have to pull the carpeting next to the gas pedal, but I can't seem to pull it all the way down. Should I use greater force? Wouldn't that damage the carpeting? I bought the filter online a couple months ago and I still have it in the trunk.

Removing my cabin filter was never a problem.

post-26724-1264560233_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...

Hi all. Since Lexus is advising that I change the cabin filter in my '03 ES every 5,000 miles, I decided I'm going to try and do this myself. The guy at Lexus told me to spray Lysol in there when I take the old one out, but he didn't explain exactly where it is and how to do it. I think it's near the glove box? If someone could provide me with some basic instructions, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanx.:)

How about a video ?