2005 Ls430 Battery

anitafagina

I purchased a 2005 LS430 with all the options as a weekend car, I didn't know the battery could die in a week of parking in the garage. What should I do? I drive my other car to work most of the time because of parking issues. I do have SMART system on the LS, but I put the key fob on the 2nd floor - thinking that should cause the battery to drain out that quickly. BTW, if the batter drains out that quickly, what happens to all the LS in the dealer parking lot? Do they jump start them once a week? Just a bit annoyed when the weekend comes, I have to jump start the car I pay $75k for…maybe a bit more annoyed (frustrating) if I can't fix the problem…Thx.

That's not good.........

Take it back to the dealer immediately. You are completely under warranty.

If the Serpentine belt it tight, Alternator is good, you should get a new battery - COMPLIMENTARY.

Tell them you can't afford to be stuck anywhere (none of us can)...and you had to pay $75 for a jump.............

They should help you - if not, let us know....

The smart key will drain the battery really fast, especially if you walk past it in the garage it will "recognize" you and turn on the interior lights etc. If I were you I'd deactivate the smart key through the week when you aren't driving it. We have it on our Prius and it drains the battery fast.

Also batteries get low when cars are sitting on dealer lots. You got a really great price on that car so my guess is it was sitting there a while, that drains batteries too. That coupled with the smart key probably did you in. They routinely jump start cars on dealer lots because the batteries go dead all the time.

If you call Lexus roadside they'll bring you a new battery and install it right there at your house.

I have a 2004 LS 430 with Smart Key. I drive the car about one or twice every two weeks (winter season). Smart Key fob is stored less than 25 ft away in the house. Has not experienced battery drain. Dealer should be able to diagnose bad battery, alternator, belt, etc.

But you don't walk by the car with the key in your pocket. Thats what drains the system. The manual even says to deactivate the smart key system if parking for 2 weeks or more.

My guess is its the effect of the smart key on an already weak battery after sitting on the lot.

I picked up my 2005 LS430 ultra just after Christmas. I've been driving my vette for the last 1 1/2 weeks while I Zaino'd the lexus (I'm slow but the end results are good!) - and the LS430 battery seems to be just fine. I'd guess you've either got a weak battery or a short. I agree the smart key can cause trouble, but your post sounded like you weren't walking past the car with the key. I'd ask the dealer if they'd test/replace the battery. :cheers:

If a battery goes dead 2 to 3 times, it will never hold a full and complet charge again. If it keeps going dead, it will hold less and less of a charge. Unless it isa "deap cycle"

It should last more then a week, so I would agree the battery is not at it's best. As for how to avoid geting stuck with a dead battery. Two things. Get a small self contaned jump start unit, and keep it charged. Take it with you when you go to start the car. They run $30.00 to over $100.00. The other thing is to find a small solor battery charger. It is a small solor cell abut 2 inch by 12 inch. They are made to keep a small charge going into a car, boat, or RV battery. As long as some sun light hits the cell.