Am I The Only One Who Over Paid For Their Gx?

studlee

I bought my 05 GX 3rd row, navi, and rear spoiler in dec for $52,000.

Did not have internet access for 2 months during that time and was pressed for time b/c account suggested we buy a suv before the end of the year.

I felt like a girl wallking into the dealer b/c i had no info on invoice prices and figures of what others are paying.

Bought from lexus of bellevue in WA.

am i the only one who over paid for their GX?

Bellevue typically does not budge on the first new model year cars. I looked there and ended up buying mine in Seattle (Lynnwood). I ended up with the first '05 they got in that had sport pkg. Lexus of Seattle is not even remotely close to me, but service is fantastic and they gave me a little deal on the '05 - not much mind you...Had I wanted one of the last '04's on the lot, I could have made a much better deal. I am sure you (and I) could have saved a few thousand if we waited for 6months or so.

Did not have internet access for 2 months during that time and was pressed for time b/c account suggested we buy a suv before the end of the year.

I felt like a girl wallking into the dealer b/c i had no info on invoice prices and figures of what others are paying.

We all overpay, to some extent. I am old enough to have paid $35 for my first car and now pay more than I have paid for my first home for a car/truck. Even if you could have saved $5000 your GX would not change. Just enjoy it and forget about the price stuff. Maybe next time just relax when you get the "new vehicle flu" and take it slower.

This is always a funny, heated, emotional and/or personal discussion. Kind of like s*x and religion. There will always be someone who aquired something similar at or below what you paid. But, you don't always here what the guy who paid to much has to say. If you paid below the MSRP, you did not pay TOO much. If you got it near invoice, you got a better deal. But, location and availabilty always dictate that fluctuation. I did not get a great deal on my truck. But, than again, there were FEW of my option package available in Southern California at time I made my purchase. So I do not feel I paid too much, nor do I think others who paid less got a better deal. In my last visit to the dealer for routine service they had 1 GX in inventory. It is too popular at this time around here. If I was looking for an LX ... they had about 10 of those. :)

To paraphrase the words of Robert W Wood Jr. and and SW03ES ... don't worry about the price stuff and forget about it, just enjoy it. B)

I agee... I wanted my GX when I wanted my GX. I was willing to pay a little more to have the first one with all the options that I wanted (plus a few.) I knew that I was not going to negotiate any great deal on a '05 when they still had a couple of new 04's on the lot. To me, a little extra $ to get me what I want when I want it is worth it. In the end, I was very satisfied with the deal I struck with the dealer and am totally happy with the car.

I bought my 04 on 10/01/04, and paid 50,000 for it. It has the Nav, rear entertainment, spoiler, hitch, ..basically everything except the KDSS. At the time, lexus was running a deal where they didn't charge extra for the third seat and rear AC package, so the sticker on mine was about 52,500.

I may have been able to get a better deal if I shopped dealers outside of my southeast wisconsin area, but I valued establishing a good realationship with my local lexus dealer. after 5 and a half months of ownership, I am still very pleased with my purchase, and glad to have a great local dealer to go to for service. Nothing has gone wrong at all with my GX, so all I have been in for so far is the thousand mile checkup that they include in the purchase. I was treated like royalty when I brought it in for that.

I have about 3,000 miles on it now, and am planning a cross country trip down to Phoenix in March to watch some baseball spring training games. I'm going to take it in for it's first oil change just before I go, but I think I'll wait until I get back for the tire rotation. I'll have less then 4,000 miles on it just before I leave.

I bought my 04 on 10/01/04, and paid 50,000 for it. It has the Nav, rear entertainment, spoiler, hitch, ..basically everything except the KDSS.  At the time, lexus was running a deal where they didn't charge extra for the third seat and rear AC package, so the sticker on mine was about 52,500.

I may have been able to get a better deal if I shopped dealers outside of my southeast wisconsin area, but I valued establishing a good realationship with my local lexus dealer. after 5 and a half months of ownership, I am still very pleased with my purchase, and glad to have a great local dealer to go to for service. Nothing has gone wrong at all with my GX, so all I have been in for so far is the thousand mile checkup that they include in the purchase. I was treated like royalty when I brought it in for that.

I have about 3,000 miles on it now, and am planning a cross country trip down to Phoenix in  March to watch some  baseball spring training games.  I'm going to take it in for it's first oil change just before I go, but I think I'll wait until I get back for the tire rotation. I'll have less then 4,000 miles on it just before I leave.

:o Look at www.ClubLexus.com for members complaining about paying for unneeded service at dealers.

This is always a funny, heated, emotional and/or personal discussion. Kind of like s*x and religion. There will always be someone who aquired something similar at or below what you paid. But, you don't always here what the guy who paid to much has to say. If you paid below the MSRP, you did not pay TOO much. If you got it near invoice, you got a better deal. But, location and availabilty always dictate that fluctuation. I did not get a great deal on my truck. But, than again, there were FEW of my option package available in Southern California at time I made my purchase. So I do not feel I paid too much, nor do I think others who paid less got a better deal. In my last visit to the dealer for routine service they had 1 GX in inventory. It is too popular at this time around here. If I was looking for an LX ... they had about 10 of those. :)

To paraphrase the words of Robert W Wood Jr. and and SW03ES ... don't worry about the price stuff and forget about it, just enjoy it. B)

I'm just curious to see what others have paid...It sounds like many of you did quite well at the dealer. I guess you win some and lose some.

cheers

• 3 weeks later...

I gladly would accept paying a couple of thou $ more just to complete the transaction as quickly as possible. For me, 2 extra hrs at the dealer are not worth the marginal savings or the relentless bargaining.

Keep in mind, everything in this world is relative!

• 1 month later...

Just bought an 05 GX. Took my time, found out what the invoice price was and comparative stats to other vehicles. Then went into the dealer ....

Saw the sticker price was 55K with the options I wanted and as I was looking around the vehicle a sales rep walked up.

Told him how much I loved driving my 02 SC430 and my wife was looking for a new SUV. He asked me if I bought the SC there (had him walk into that one) and I mentioned no.

1) The original sales rep was too pushy, calling every other day after I test drove the SC

2) After I mentioned to him I was deciding which convertable to buy he started treating me like I couldn't afford the car

3) The general sales manager lied to me when I asked if there was a 02 in Colorado. Gave me the run around and pushed hard for me to buy a new model.

After hearing this, the sales rep was more than willing to make my SUV buying experience worth it. I ended up buying the 05 GX for 47K (with 12 miles on it) and had them give me blue book for my trade in on a 98 Expedition (private sales blue book, not dealer blue book).

a) Lexus really tries to take care of their customers

B) It pays to do some research before walking into the dealership

• 2 weeks later...

Paid $ 47,500 today for GX 470 balck with dark grey interior with all options except DVD, trailer hitch and sport package.....list price was $ 52788, saved

$ 5,288....thought I did okay.....figure dealer made about $ 3,000........used msn.com info on GX and also internet reply from other dealer citing $ 300 over invoice for GX......I think I could should have tried for another grand, but pushed pretty hard.......happy with deal in the end......car had 8 miles at purchase and ultra clean...........showroom car....................wanted origionally to buy sport package vehicle that listed for $ 56, 138 and could have gotten for $ 50,000.....didn't like the sport package interior.............. :D

• 4 weeks later...

I'm just curious to see what others have paid...It sounds like many of you did quite well at the dealer. I guess you win some and lose some.

cheers

As someone else said, there is no use crying over spilled milk.

BUT... for the future, you should prepare yourself by READING EVERYTHING available about the TACTICS of New Car Dearlers. Then READ SOME MORE, get everything you can I usually start by going to the library (Pre computer days) and photocopying the pages I need from EDMUNDS NEW CAR GUIDE, those guys are right on the money when it comes to car pricing.

TO make a long story short, NEVER PAY RETAIL, when the car dealer says thats as low as we can go and your not satisfied WALK OUT!

PERSISTANCE PAYS OFF - I bought my $52k GX for $45,500 You just got to do your homework set a price your willing to pay and NOT BUDGE, you also have to be willing to go to several dealers to see who is willing to work with you or to see who would rather play games.

GOOD LUCK ON YOUR NEXT PURCHASE!

ok i seriously feel like i got ripped off, after tax i payed 58k. i have all options except sport suspension/package (i 4get). is this a bad deal? i think it was like around 54-55k without tax. hmmm its been a while so i dont remember. i have the 04' model

cheers

BUT... for the future, you should prepare yourself by READING EVERYTHING available about the TACTICS of New Car Dearlers. Then READ SOME MORE, get everything you can I usually start by going to the library (Pre computer days) and photocopying the pages I need from EDMUNDS NEW CAR GUIDE, those guys are right on the money when it comes to car pricing.

TO make a long story short, NEVER PAY RETAIL, when the car dealer says thats as low as we can go and your not satisfied WALK OUT!

PERSISTANCE PAYS OFF - I bought my $52k GX for $45,500 You just got to do your homework set a price your willing to pay and NOT BUDGE, you also have to be willing to go to several dealers to see who is willing to work with you or to see who would rather play games.

tshrtkng,

May I ask which dealer you dealt with to get that price? Did you walk in or was it through e-mail through the internet manager? I received quotes from several dealerships in the NYC area and the lowest I was able to get was $47000 on a $52,788 MSRP GX.

One other thing I was wondering, maybe someone can shed some light on, are there any drawbacks to purchasing the car but then having service done at a different dealership?

cheers

tshrtkng,

May I ask which dealer you dealt with to get that price? Did you walk in or was it through e-mail through the internet manager? I received quotes from several dealerships in the NYC area and the lowest I was able to get was $47000 on a $52,788 MSRP GX.

One other thing I was wondering, maybe someone can shed some light on, are there any drawbacks to purchasing the car but then having service done at a different dealership?

I once had the owner of a dealership tell me he did not care where I bought my car but did want me to bring to him for service as he told me they make more money off servicing than they do on the initial sale. But you might find some differences like when my local BMW dealer had no M3's I bought one from a dealer who was about an hour away. The local dealer was glad to service it but I could not get certain benefits they offered like free loaner and free car wash.

$47,000 is a great price stop shopping. The dealer is making less then a $1000. to deliver you a great automobile.

I heard that costo members can buy at $1500 over invoice through costo wholesale price program. can anyone confirm?

cheers

tshrtkng,

I once had the owner of a dealership tell me he did not care where I bought my car but did want me to bring to him for service as he told me they make more money off servicing than they do on the initial sale. But you might find some differences like when my local BMW dealer had no M3's I bought one from a dealer who was about an hour away. The local dealer was glad to service it but I could not get certain benefits they offered like free loaner and free car wash.

I bought the car from Smithtown Lexus in Long Island. I "worked on the dealer" thru email for about a month then went in 2x to close the deal.

im confused...costco? how can u save money with a costco membership? srry i dont understand

I don't know the details about costo auto purchasing program. A lexus salesperson mentioned to me that I could buy a GX470 at $1500 over invoice because I was a costo member. Anyway, I've negotiated an even better price than that so haven't spent much time on the costo thing:)

• 4 weeks later...

Borught a year end 05 here -- Nav Sys, DVD, Rear seat, hitch, ball mount,

spoiler, some kind of accessory pkg, 54,800 for 50,000 I too felt paid

more than should have for a year old model. BUT it was the color

wanted with right interior. All options plus some, so felt running

all over trying to find the deal, might not have run across another

with all the stuff. And most dealers were starting at knocking only 3K off.

I went in armed with all the guides and print out. But live 80 to

200 miles from Lexus dealers in 3 cities. Went to 4, really got

tired of all the running and returning calls. Some are still calling me

so yeah probably could have done better, but what is done is done