Rust On 2004 Rx330

curt

Hi All,

A few weeks ago I noticed rust spots on the hood (by the grill) of my 7-month old RX330. I have since taken it to the dealer and am told that it is not covered under warranty since it is most likely due to weather/environmental/driving conditions here in Massachusetts. I find these rust spots a bit premature for a car that is so new regardless of these conditions, as the dealer professes. I have owned other luxury cars in the past (older than 7-months) and have never in the years had rust issues.

Does anyone have any experience with rusting on their car? And, if so how was it dealt with and was it covered under warranty?

Thanks.

Hi All,

A few weeks ago I noticed rust spots on the hood (by the grill) of my 7-month old RX330.  I have since taken it to the dealer and am told that it is not covered under warranty since it is most likely due to weather/environmental/driving conditions here in Massachusetts.  I find these rust spots a bit premature for a car that is so new regardless of these conditions, as the dealer professes.  I have owned other luxury cars in the past (older than 7-months) and have never in the years had rust issues.

Does anyone have any experience with rusting on their car? And, if so how was it dealt with and was it covered under warranty?

Thanks.

Lexus is not good at honoring corrosion warranty. I noticed bubbles RX's clear coated silver rims and was told brake dusts are to blame.

Can you post pictures of the rust?

The warranty covers PERFORATION, not surface rust. If the surface rusted then metal had to be exposed to the air at some point. Thats why you've got to keep up with touching up stone chips in the winter. Every time I wash I head out with my touchup pen and make sure any exposed metal (even really light chips) are covered and protected from the salt. I had one very small ship on the A pillar next to the windshield that I let go through our most recent snow and sure enough it had surface rust, no bit deal I cleaned it out well with some alchohol which removed the surface rust and filled it in, can't even tell it was there. If its light then you can remove it and simply touch up over the spot.

My brother-in- law and I both have rust spots in the exact same location you describe. Some of rust is from paint chipping and some from underneath the paint. The paint job on these vehicles are very poor. The paint chips very easy.

I wouldnt say the paint is poor! But I dont see any vehicles taking rock/pebble hits at 50-80MPH while you are on the highway. The front end IS going to get rock chips period!!!! unless you have the invisable bra or a Bra on it?

Lexus paint does chip very easily, I agree with that. I advise everyone who purchases a Lexus to invest in a chip protection film for the front end, I wish I had. This is common on japanese vehicles, its just a difference in paint composition. Harder paints resist scratching but chip easily, softer paints dont chip but they scratch. Lexus paint is pretty middle of the road when it comes to hardness.

curt- What color is it? That may be "blooming". Blooming occurs on new cars when corrosive particles (rail dust and the like) become embedded in the paint surface when shipped to the dealership. If they aren't removed by claying the paint surface the imbedded shards of metal can rust and cause rust spots in the paint. Post pics if you can and I can give you better advice from there.

The paint job on these vehicles are very poor.  The paint chips very easy.

Lexus is a victum of the American lawmakers who came up with new "VOC" laws (volatile organic compounds).

The low VOC automotive paints chip easier than high VOC paints of the past.

Steve - the car is white. Tried taking a pic today but with the glare...just couldn't get a decent pic (any suggestions?). Spoke with someone at the dealership where the car was purchased and they seem to be more helpful than the dealership that the car got serviced at. Am taking the car back in for them to see and assess the condition...will keep you posted.

Oh yeah, if its white my bet is its blooming. You may not be able to get a very good pic unless you have a digital camera with a good close up setting.

You may be able to remove it by claying and polishing out the paint.

Can you post pictures of the rust?

The warranty covers PERFORATION, not surface rust. If the surface rusted then metal had to be exposed to the air at some point. Thats why you've got to keep up with touching up stone chips in the winter. Every time I wash I head out with my touchup pen and make sure any exposed metal (even really light chips) are covered and protected from the salt.

Agreed sw! B) The body panels actually have to have a hole through the metal before Lexus will do anything. Pretty much every car maker is the same with that type of thing. :rolleyes:

:cheers:

A friend of mine had the same thing on a suburban he bought new, the dealer buffed it out for free. It was rail dust, metal particles from the brakes on the rail cars. His was white also. Now you see most of the cars covered with a white plastic film on all top surfaces on the rail cars around here.

Jeff

The plastic sheeting wont help because it doesn't cover every painted surface, new cars MUST be clayed immediately to remove ferrous contaminants before they corrode.

The question is do you want the dealer to buff the car out, dealers are notorious for bad detailing jobs and paint can be messed up really bad by Bobby from the local highschool with the rotary buffer. They don't have real detailers because they refuse to pay real detailers. Why pay someone $50 an hour when the local kid will do it for $8! Mentality.

You may be better requesting a $150 detailing voucher and then pay a competent professional on your own. The finish will have to be waxed after being polished also.