Oil & Oil Changes

lexdog

Hello All,

I recently purchased a Rx300, :D I was wondering when is the optimal time to change the oil ? I've read & heard a few different things but Im use to changing oil 3000 miles ???? :blushing:

Also What brands & Types do you perfer ? Synthetic or Regular ?

Castrol or Mobile 1 ?

New Proud Lexus Owner :cheers:

Hey LEXDOG,

Congrats on the RX 300, just got mine as well and love it.

Well this subject may start flares going off but I will give my you my humble opinion :)

I have never changed oil every 3000 miles, however I have used Mobil 1 for the last 20+ years, going with either 5000 or 7500 mile changes. Honestly Mobil 1 is good for about 10,000.......the newer formula is good for 15,000 miles !!

I could never do 15,000 :D

My past vehicles Mazda RX7 101,000.....TOY Camery 118,000 and Nissan truck 168,000 ....all without engine troubles and extremely clean on the inside, periodic

inspections made removing valve cover and dropping oil pan, well on the Camery and Nissan. RX7 was rotory.

Anyway synthetic will always out perform regular oil on any test given. I would go synthetic and go with the 7500 mile interval unless you are doing harsh driving then 5000 but synthetic would hold up regardless. Get a good oil filter as well, Mobil 1 makes a top rated filter as well, pricey ...about 10.00 but it a very important part of the oil system. The OEM filters are pretty good but there are better ones like the Mobil 1 filter out there.

Hope this helps :cheers:

Hey LEXDOG,

Congrats on the RX 300, just got mine as well and love it.

Well this subject may start flares going off but I will give my you my humble opinion  :) 

I have never changed oil every 3000 miles, however I have used Mobil 1 for the last 20+ years, going with either 5000 or 7500 mile changes. Honestly Mobil 1 is good for about 10,000.......the newer formula is good for 15,000 miles !!

I could never do 15,000 :D

My past vehicles Mazda RX7 101,000.....TOY Camery 118,000 and Nissan truck 168,000 ....all without engine troubles and extremely clean on the inside, periodic

inspections made removing valve cover and dropping oil pan, well on the Camery and Nissan. RX7 was rotory.

Anyway synthetic will always out perform regular oil on any test given. I would go synthetic and go with the 7500 mile interval unless you are doing harsh driving then 5000 but synthetic would hold up regardless. Get a good oil filter as well, Mobil 1 makes a top rated filter as well, pricey ...about 10.00 but it a very important part of the oil system. The OEM filters are pretty good but there are better ones like the Mobil 1 filter out there.

Hope this helps  :cheers:

Congrads to you also :cheers:

My previous vehicle was a Ford Explorer EB and the manual stated 5000 miles but I tried to stay ahead of the game by changing it 3000 miles. I always used Regular Mobile 1 Oil but for some reason I thought Mobile 1 was optimal for Domestic Vehicles ??? I don’t know why I thought that :wacko: That’s good news cause Mobile 1 is brand I trust. 1300000 on my Ford and no Oil Related Troubles.

Have you tried Castrol or Valoline Synthetics ? Someone told me Castrol is better in Foreign Vehicles ???

Mobil 1 OR Amsoil synthetic......I'm personalyl switching from Mobil 1 to Amsoil (ASL series synthetic) 5W30, along with the Amsoil heavy duty oil filters. Also excellent filters to use are Mobil 1 or K & N. Good Luck! B)

:cheers: