Flakey Fuel Gauge....

Grd4Spd

howdy yall,

wierd, sometimes (not too often) the fuel gauge will act up.....it will read totally empty (light on) when i know it has gas (if not full) in it......then slowly it will come up......or sometimes it will read partially. anyone have same/similar issue? any ideas?

regards,

terry

howdy yall,

wierd, sometimes (not too often) the fuel gauge will act up.....it will read totally empty (light on) when i know it has gas (if not full) in it......then slowly it will come up......or sometimes it will read partially. anyone have same/similar issue? any ideas?

regards,

terry

I have the same issue. I can turn my 2004 LX off with a little less than 1/4 tank left and the next morning, I will start the engine and show no gas and the low fuel light is glowing. I have also seen my gauge get confused if I leave the motor on while refueling and it won't even show full even though I just filled it up! :blink:

It's most likely the sending unit for the gas gauge. The needle in the cluster is controlled by a motor as the speedometer and tach etc. Electricity is sent to these motors which makes them move to show a reading. If the sending unit is not working properly then too much or no elecricity will be sent to the needles. I am not sure where the sending unit is on the GX.

• 7 years later...

Old thread I know - just for future info for people:

This is how to fix the problem - with the car engine turned off, unscrew your gas/petrol cap and then rescrew it back on so it clicks about 5 times. the problem is caused by an incomplete seal on the o-ring causing a pressure variance in at least one of the tanks.

Hope this helps someone in the future.

• 5 years later...

I have a 2004 LX 470 and the gas gauge [gage] went to empty with the warning light on with a full tank. I would suggest that checking the wiring harness near the front of the left rear wheel in the area of the rear suspension accumulator hardware under the vehicle. There is a wiring connector that is mounted horizontally to the body in this area. This plug and wiring is one of the main connections to the fuel pump and gauge etc. I tried to unplug this connector due to corrosion concerns, this area is subject to salt, rocks, icing etc. I was unsuccessful due to access, the suspension hardware made this difficult. Do not pull on the wires while trying to unplug. You do not want to damage the plug by prying, damaging the wiring harness is not a good idea. You can buy the cable that runs from the plug to the tank if you get too aggressive. While I was trying to unplug I did notice a chafed wire, the cable protection here is weak is has some black tape, foam, and a small piece of wire loom to protect the cable. The chafed wire was missing the copper in this area.  I used a crimp connector to reconnect and covered it with heat shrink and black tape. After that I used a length of wire loom 1/2" dia. on one side of the plug and 3/4" on the side I did not remove cable protection. The gauge is back to working! I would also recommend that this plug be disconnected to gain access to the fuel gauge sender, pump. When disconnected run engine to a stop to relieve fuel line pressure or fuel maybe spilled inside vehicle when disconnecting the hoses at the tank. Disconnecting the wiring at tank in this situation may cause a spark burning down your great car!   If you decide to go into the tank you might want to replace the whole unit only available as individual parts.The pump, gauge assy., filter, plate sub-assy., gasket and other parts is all over $500 the wiring is known to fail here, if you like to to the job twice go cheap. l highly recommend buying the Lexus factory repair manuals they are very good.They are not cheap but well worth it, they can pay for themselves with one repair or one mistake you did not need to make. Good Luck.