Towing Hitch Install

RobGX470

I have a 2004 GX470 and want to install a 2" receiver for connecting a towing hitch for trailering a boat. The dealer has informed me they cannot install a factory mount. (Lexus Nat'l does not allow this as a dealer installed option - only port or factory) Does anyone know anything about this? If so, what have you done?

Thanks.

I have a 2004 GX470 and want to install a 2" receiver for connecting a towing hitch for trailering a boat.  The  dealer has informed me they cannot install a factory mount.  (Lexus Nat'l does not allow this as a dealer installed option - only port or factory) Does anyone know anything about this? If so, what have you done?

Thanks.

To this regard, Lexus indeed really sucks @$$.:chairshot:

Most manufactures seem to allow some post modification with factory parts. I have a 2004 GX, with KDSS, in which the tow hitch was NOT an option. The dealership will not install it with the manufacture's components, nor will they sell them to you (they want to match the sale of the parts to your VIN). You have to install a 3rd party hitch system. You can look around, but there is a company called Draw-Tite that makes a bolt-in 2" reciever rated for 5000lbs. ( http://www.draw-tite.com ). The model number for the GX is #75155. I think the Ball and Hitch assembly will fall just under your rear bumber, so you do not have to remove the cover plate from the bumper itself. I have not had this item installed, but intend to. As yet I cannot comment on the whole package appearance. Draw-Tite does state that their product bolts into the existing holes and there is NO further drilling or modification. After that, all you need is your wiring loop to be located. There is a thread on this site which concerns that very topic:

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...12255&hl=wiring

From what I do understand, it is actually a better hitch than what Lexus offers anyway. Good Luck ... I will be joining you in the near future for that same addition. :)

My 2004 GX with KDSS did not have the factory hitch on when I saw it on the lot. In the deal I requested the hitch be put on. When I recieved the GX the hitch was on and everything looked great. I later learned that they had taken my GX to a third party vendor to have it installed. I was going to complain, but the hitch looks just like the factory 6500 rated hitch. It was added at no cost to me. So in my case, the dealer had the hitch added.

Thanks. My GX does not have KDSS and the dealer still can't get a factory hitch. Lexus Nat'l won't let the dealer install a hitch mount, only the factory or port. Seems assinine Lexus would not provide for this, given the car is designed to tow! Why buy a V8 SUV if you can't tow with it.

My dealer has been helpful and is pointing me in the direction of an aftermarket hitch - I think it was the drawtite one, but I am not 100% sure. I will let you know how it goes once I get it installed.

MY GX will be here in 3 weeks and I need the hitch also. The Lexus dealer said I could not buy the factroy one.  I wonder if the hitch that they put on the V-8 Toyota 4 runner is the same as the Lexus hitch.

Just go to U-Haul and get Part Number 78445 (Class 3 Hitch). 8 Bolts later (the nuts are already welded in to the frame of the GX 470). The Truck is already prewired for the tail lights, etc., so nothing to do there. Cost for 78455 was $179.95 -- Lexus wanted lots more. U-Haul will install it for about $50 more but if you can change a tire you can DIY. Borrow a Torque wrench to get the correct torque on the bolts 65 and 17 pds depending on the size of the bolts.

MY GX will be here in 3 weeks and I need the hitch also. The Lexus dealer said I could not buy the factroy one.  I wonder if the hitch that they put on the V-8 Toyota 4 runner is the same as the Lexus hitch.

Just go to U-Haul and get Part Number 78445 (Class 3 Hitch). 8 Bolts later (the nuts are already welded in to the frame of the GX 470). The Truck is already prewired for the tail lights, etc., so nothing to do there. Cost for 78455 was $179.95 -- Lexus wanted lots more. U-Haul will install it for about $50 more but if you can change a tire you can DIY. Borrow a Torque wrench to get the correct torque on the bolts 65 and 17 pds depending on the size of the bolts.

I have looked at the Draw Tite and U Haul. They dont have as high of a weight rating as the Lexus hitch. Only 3500 LBS Weight-Carrying Capacity

I have looked at the Draw Tite and U Haul. They dont have as high of a weight rating as the Lexus hitch. Only 3500 LBS Weight-Carrying Capacity

The one I purchased (see above) is rated at 5000/500 and 5500/550 if you add anti-sway bars.

I have a 2004 GX470 and want to install a 2" receiver for connecting a towing hitch for trailering a boat.  The  dealer has informed me they cannot install a factory mount.  (Lexus Nat'l does not allow this as a dealer installed option - only port or factory) Does anyone know anything about this? If so, what have you done?

Thanks.

I ran into the same problem as you. I was able to get a factory tow hitch by doing a bit of complaining to Lexus Customer Service. It took a couple of weeks of phone calls and an eventual request to lexus to buy back my GX so that I can buy something that can actually tow a boat/trailer. Eventually they did get an approval from the a regional manager to ship a tow hitch to my dealer for installation.

• 3 weeks later...

Today I installed the OEM Lexus hitch that my :censored: selling dealer said I could not buy! I ordered it from Sewell in Dallas no problem. It took me less than an hour to install and I saved $100.00 over what it would have cost if I had ordered with the car. I had read that Sewell was a great dealer to order parts from on another thread. I must say I agree. :cheers:

I got the hitch. How did you get the factory plastic plate off?

Today I installed the OEM Lexus hitch that my  :censored:  selling dealer said I could not buy!  I ordered it from Sewell in Dallas no problem. It took me less than an hour to install and I saved $100.00 over what it would have cost if I had ordered with the car. I had read that Sewell was a great dealer to order parts from on another thread. I must say I agree.:cheers:

I don't know what plastic plate you are referring to.

Today I installed the OEM Lexus hitch that my  :censored:  selling dealer said I could not buy!  I ordered it from Sewell in Dallas no problem. It took me less than an hour to install and I saved $100.00 over what it would have cost if I had ordered with the car. I had read that Sewell was a great dealer to order parts from on another thread. I must say I agree.:cheers:

The plastic cover plate that you replace after the hitch is installed

Thanks

Mine is an 05' I didn't have to remove any plastic cover plate.

The plastic cover plate that you replace after the hitch is installed

Thanks

Ok, I got a pre-owned (used) 5000lb factory hitch with all the requisite hardware in the mail today. :cheers: Does anyone have an install diagram? I am sure it will all make sense when I get under the car, but there seems to be a few extra parts :D

Does anyone know what pressure you need to use on the bolts?  I have a torque wrench and just need to know the pressure. 

Thanks!

Large Bolts 65 lbs and if you have smaller bolts (smaller than the large ones) 17 lbs. At least that is what the directions stated on a class III hitch I got at U Haul. Don't forget to check them once in a while when using. My hitch had 4 large bolts and 4 smaller ones and installed on the frame in the holes already on the truck. I assume yours does the same.

If you don't mind my asking. What was the part number # and the cost from Sewell. I think I may order it from them, since the local dealer is completely worthless in helping me in my quest.

Thanks in advance ...

If you don't mind my asking. What was the part number # and the cost from Sewell. I think I may order it from them, since the local dealer is completely worthless in helping me in my quest.

Thanks in advance ...

Heres a link to their online catalog so you can get the right one for your year.

http://www.lexus-parts.com/

I just wanted to note that my hitch is already starting to see some use. After I washed the GX today I was toweling it off and noticed the chrome is chipped on the trailer ball. It had to have been someone parking by brail that hit it. :blink: No other damage, maybe their bumper didn't fair as well. :whistles: I can live with that.

• 1 month later...
My 2004 GX with KDSS did not have the factory hitch on when I saw it on the lot.  In the deal I requested the hitch be put on.  When I recieved the GX the hitch was on and everything looked great.  I later learned that they had taken my GX to a third party vendor to have it installed.  I was going to complain, but the hitch looks just like the factory 6500 rated hitch.  It was added at no cost to me.  So in my case, the dealer had the hitch added.

Can you tell me what brand hitch was used? A model number could also be helpful if possible?

I was wondering if you would tell me how much the hitch cost? Would you know the correct part number?

Also, did you order the bumper cutout replacement? What was the cost ont that?