Input Directions On Nav While Driving

We had a Honda Accord which allowed you to input destinations while the car was in motion. I miss that with our Lexus. Wrote directly to Lexus and they confirmed that nav function was limited while the car was in motion. I argued that the car was smart enough to know when someone was in the passenger seat (for the airbags) and should allow the nav system to be changed if someone is in that seat. We have been on trips on the highway before, gotten hungry, and wanted to find a place up ahead. Could not do it unless we wanted to pull to the side of the road.

I know it is a safety issue, but it is very inconvenient.

Ya that is quite annoying, but in the LX forum, a member was able to bypass that lockout feature. I'll try and find out the topic and/or post the link for you.

Update:

I found the topic/link, but it's regarding playing DVDs. However, I believe this should work anyway because it seems that the dvd based navigation locks out according to if the vehicle is in motion or not. Here's the link:

Bypass Topic in LX Forum

Good Luck!

Edited by vcv10guy

• 8 months later...

This might work on 2004

How To Enter Map Destinations While Driving

In sequence

Press the Menu button on the dash.

Press the Volume button on the screen.

Press the upper left corner of the screen. (Where the speaker icon is located.)

Press the lower left corner of the screen.

Press the upper left corner of the screen again.

Press the lower left corner of the screen again.

On the screen that appears:

Press the Override button and hold it until you hear a beep. The Override letters turn black in color showing it is deselected.

Press the Back button to get back to the previous screen.

any idea on a 2003 GS 430?  no speaker icon on the nav screen after hitting the volume selection.  Thanks!

On my '03 RX 300 you do it this way and it may work on yours:

Press Menu Button

Click System Options on Screen

In the System Options Menu:

Press the upper left corner of the screen

Press the lower left corner of the screen

Press the upper left corner of the screen

Press the lower left corner of the screen

Press the lower right corner of the screen

Then a similar set of options will appear as did in the '04 and '05 screen.

Press Override and now the passenger can input while moving

There is a catch, the system you use on the '04 and '05 can be done while the vehicle is in motion, the above can not be because the System Options button is greyed out while you are moving. If you suddenly need to use it, you have to pull over or stop at a traffic light, override it, and then be on your way.

Also if you don't press in the far corners it will not work. Some times it takes me several tries to get it to work.

• 3 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Whatever you do DO NOT change anything in the LOADING menu. Doing any other changes in the hidden engineering screen can render your navigation system wortheless. A brand new navigation computer will cost you $5K..... be extremely careful not to change anything in this engineering screen!