Converting To Lpg Gas.

gav_logan

I'm not sure how common it is in the states, so forgive me if I seem to talk down to you all.

Due to the high petrol prices, and the distance I have to drive every day, I'm strongly considering converting my car to run on LPG (gas) instead of petrol. Given current prices, this would mean I would save 60 - 70% on fuel costs.

Does anyone here have any experience with this sort of thing? I used to have a car on gas, which ran fine. There is a subtle power loss, but that doesn't really concern me as I rarely put the foot down.

Any ideas you have at all would be appreciated.

Cheers :)

- Gav

I'm not sure how common it is in the states, so forgive me if I seem to talk down to you all.

Due to the high petrol prices, and the distance I have to drive every day, I'm strongly considering converting my car to run on LPG (gas) instead of petrol. Given current prices, this would mean I would save 60 - 70% on fuel costs.

Does anyone here have any experience with this sort of thing? I used to have a car on gas, which ran fine. There is a subtle power loss, but that doesn't really concern me as I rarely put the foot down.

- Gav

this has not been done on any lexus as far as i know. it woudl require alot of custom fabbing your own parts.

take a look at a taurus or mondeo LPG system, and this wil give you an idea from where to start. also, some of those parts can be used.

the conversion will be expensive, as there are no kits,so you have to ask yourself, is it really worth the savings? or rather, are you really saving anything.

^and yes, i know the above cars are fords, but they both have transverse mounted V6's and this will give you an idea/basis to go on. looking at it on paper is a complete wast of time. you probably wont learn anything. the only way is to dissassemble and reassemble one, to get the full effect. this is uncharted territory AFAIK on lexus, good luck.

EDIT: you know, now that im thinking about it, there may be a japanese kit for the camry...could be retrofitted...

Yep, spoke to a few places. Most are confident a camry kit would work. Should run at around $2500 AUD.

So no one can see any major problems it might cause?

none, other than heavier wallet syndrome, but we could all use some of that. :D

- Gav

This is almost unheard of in the US, but is quite common in Europe for many types of cars. I would suspect that if you have a way to contact a European Lexus dealer they might be able to help. Or perhaps a Camry dealer.