Car Won't Turn Over Sometimes

Larrykelly

My 1999 LS400 won't start sometimes. I turn the key and all the lights and radio come on but the car won't turn over. Nothing. I turn the car off and try again and still nothing. I try a couple more times and suddenly it starts right up. Battery seems good. Doesn't do it all the time. What's up?

The same thing happened to the previous owner of my '98. The starter motor was the going bad, and the Dealership installed a new one for a Dealer bargain price of about $950. Took care of the problem. Perhaps someone here knows how to help you test it, or if there is a starter solenoid which would be a cheaper fix? Good luck.

The same thing happened to the previous owner of my '98. The starter motor was the going bad, and the Dealership installed a new one for a Dealer bargain price of about $950. Took care of the problem. Perhaps someone here knows how to help you test it, or if there is a starter solenoid which would be a cheaper fix? Good luck.

Shhhh....be vevey vevy quiet, I'm hunting starters. Pop the hood and have someone listen, or turn off the fan, radio etc and roll your window down. Do you hear one muffled "click" when it should start? Lex/Toy/Scion starters are notorious for smoking the solenoid contacts. Pitting on the contacts prevents sufficient current flow to engauge the "turny part" of the starter. Are you mechanicaly inclined? if so remove the soleniod contacts and replace them. If not whip out the visa. Do not buy aftermarket toyota/lexus starters.....they rarley last very long. While the 2 month old part is under warranty, the $120 an hour labor is not. You have been warned.

Shhhh....be vevey vevy quiet, I'm hunting starters. Pop the hood and have someone listen, or turn off the fan, radio etc and roll your window down. Do you hear one muffled "click" when it should start? Lex/Toy/Scion starters are notorious for smoking the solenoid contacts. Pitting on the contacts prevents sufficient current flow to engauge the "turny part" of the starter. Are you mechanicaly inclined? if so remove the soleniod contacts and replace them. If not whip out the visa. Do not buy aftermarket toyota/lexus starters.....they rarley last very long. While the 2 month old part is under warranty, the $120 an hour labor is not. You have been warned.

if there is a "flat spot" in the starter, you can get out, tap it with a screwdriver, and try it again and it may start.

if there is a "flat spot" in the starter, you can get out, tap it with a screwdriver, and try it again and it may start.

Tapping on the starter is another way to make better contact on the solenoid contacts, or armature brushes. Armature brushes are rarely a problem on starters. Tapping on an ls400 starter requires going under the car. Most ls 400 owners neither own a ball pien hamer nor would be caught dead laying on the ground with one arm under the car smacking on the starter. IMHO.

Actually the starter motor is located in the valley between the cylinder banks and is accessible only after the intake manifold has been removed. It is almost impossible to see before the manifold is off.

What is not clear from your post Larry is what is happening.

It is not the car that turns over, but the starter motor and the engine.

"Turning over" means the starter is engaged and cranking the engine.

"Not starting" means the engine does not begin running even though the starter is engaged and cranking it normally. This is a lack of fuel, spark, or compression.

"Not turning over" means the starter does not engage and crank the engine. Sometimes a click is heard but not the normal cranking sound. This is usually associated with a dead battery, or a faulty starter motor.

Perhaps you can further describe the problem in these terms.

Actually the starter motor is located

Of ouurse you are right and I am buzzed. Either way, sounds like a solenoind conntact and $20 in parts for the savy owner. Requires a socet wrench, an extenson a 12 and 14 mm socket, one 10mm wrench.....good luck.

Sounds like the starter solenoid. I have changed one on a 90 LS. It worked just like yours for months. I would just keep turning the key and it would catch eventually and turn on. One day it never caught so I did the job. Very difficult because of the clearance in the back of the engine to remove the bolts holding the starter. As far as the Toy/Lexus dealer rebuild, I think it is the best. I would not but any old rebuild or attempt to rebuild it myself or worse just change the plunger. It is not worth it. Just change the whole starter with dealer parts because trust me, you dont ever want to have to re-do the job anytime soon. Good luck. There are threads that pictorally show you exactly how to remove the starter bolts.

Yo.

Happened to me on a Toyota. Lights were bright and no signs of bad connection on battery but starter would only click. Two cables connect to positive terminal, one for starter which is sandwich between one for all other electrical systems and battery connecting terminal. Removed both and cleaned all sides of cables and replaced. Hope it is a simple fix. Also clean battery terminal and clamp while at it. Starter on LS400 major access problem.

Actually the starter motor is located in the valley between the cylinder banks and is accessible only after the intake manifold has been removed.  It is almost impossible to see before the manifold is off.

your right, i forgot. though...you have to wonder...who the *BLEEP* put it there? and what the *BLEEP* were they thinkin?

Putting the starter in the valley keeps it away from exhaust heat, away from mud and debris, allows a tighter engine compartment and better exhaust manifolding. The GM Northstar engine also puts it there, and it is an even more horrible job to re and re that starter, and it fails quite routinely.

But you are right, it is still a lot of work when they fail.