Ipod Through Fm

jpf5911

I'm trying to use my iPod in my LS430 with a Monster Cable RF transmitter. When I try to find an "open" FM frequency, the tuner only moves from one strong signal to another.

For instance if I start at the "bottom" of the dial, the lowest frequency the radio will display is 88.1 and as you move the tuner wheel, it skips to 88.7, then 89.5, etc, etc, generally finding a signal along the way. I want to set it at one of the frequencies in between where there is no other signal to compete with the RF signal from the iPod.

Suggestions?

Thanks,

JPF

If you can't tune it manually to 88.1 or whatever options you have on the monster FM transmitter, an easier way might be to plug the Ipod into your computer and burn a disc with all the MP3's on it. Works great and you can fit hundreds of songs on one disc. It would be nice if they had a port on the car radios to alow you to plug a thumb drive into it or at least an audio imput jack.

Some cars are putting audio input jacks where you can get to them.

If you want good sound honestly I'd look into purchasing a direct input kit for it. If you're interested I can point you in the right direction for one. Can be pricey, but worth it.

i just bought an Apple ipod mini last week, primarily for use in my LS.....after much research and opinnion searching, i pretty much found that the "best" fm transmitter to go with is the DLO Transpod.

it is a Ipod holder, charger, and has the FM trans built in.. in a all in one package

it just mounts into your cig. lighter and thats that

as far as the station tuning you just need to find an open station on your radio and correspond it with the fm. mod.......if you hold the button down, on the fm trans. it will search for a free station, and if you just click the search button it will manually go through each station ie... 87.5, 87.6, 87.7 ect.......and just stop when you find a clear station. (atleast thats how mine works)

i would take that monster back and get the DLO, its all you need in one package, as well as being the most solid and reliable FM trans.

the DLO is bit more expensive but not much, i beleive i paid about $110 for mine, but i've seen then cheaper.

good luck

For $110 honestly I'd look into some kind of direct connect, you'll get much better sound

I couldn't find any info on where to get a hard wire for an ipod or even if they were available for my car......i couldn't even find any reference to that kind of setup for an ipod anywhere <_<

i very seriously doubt it would be any where near 100 bucks, weren't we talking with someone the other day that said that kind of setup runs about 400 bucks?

and to tell you the truth i was skeptical about the sound quality i would have with a fm trans. but that DLO is VERY good, it sounds perfect, just like a regular CD. i was and still am amazed by the quality that thing puts out.

there are a lot of fm trans. out there, ranging from 30 bucks up to over 100 like mine, you just get what you pay for. and like i said from my reasearch and now experience the DLO is the best you can get for that type of setup

Oh no, you can get direct input cables for $100 from people like Soundgate. You won't be able to control the Ipod but you'll have a direct aux connection. I thought the FM trans was good too until I heard the direct connect, it makes the FM trans sound dead and flat. Plus the breakins with the wireless FM transmitter drove me nuts, I have a wired FM transmitter now but it still sounds flat, next month I'm going to get the Viastech AUX in kit. The thing with the FM trans is it takes already compressed music (MP3s), compresses it into a even smaller yield (FM) and switches digital to analog format. Its like trying to watch HDTV on a B&W set.

I'll find the links for you.

I'm definitely returning the Monster cable. I spent the better part of a day trying to find a good frequency to no avail. I live in So Cal and there are a lot of stations so that may have contributed to the difficulty.

I tried the iPod with a cassette adaptor I had from my XM Radio in my other car and the sound quality was very good, so I just need something to charge the iPod. I'm only using the iPod for an upcoming long trip anyway.

To the guy who wrote about burning a CD . . . the owner's manual says NOT to use burned CDs. I thought that was silly until I tried to use one and it actually got stuck as the unit was sucking it in.

JPF

• 8 months later...
Some cars are putting audio input jacks where you can get to them.

If you want good sound honestly I'd look into purchasing a direct input kit for it. If you're interested I can point you in the right direction for one. Can be pricey, but worth it.

Can you pint me in the right direction ??????? Send E-mail to evan.antonoff@technasystems.com.

Thanks

Hey man.. I have a great FM transmitter that allows one to set the channel (87-108). When I get to my car I will tell you the name. It also works very well and I use a cheep generic IPOD or laptop to play songs. I bought it on Amazon for 30 bucks.

i use my ipod through my aux input.. i have and after market pioneer head unit.. i also use the pocketdock port at the bottom of my ipod and it gives u excellent sound .. not like the headphone jack wich has to b adjusted .. i have a rf sony 10 disc mp3 changer in the trunk that i disconnected because since ive had the ipod its tottally useless.. and the sound was really bad .. those fm modulators suck! .. they sound worse than the radio.. go for a head unit with aux input man .. its worth it... :D

I agree with DLO for Ipod.They are the best product out there for FM transmitter and I use for my Lex and quality is excellent.Never had problem adjusting and never had any problem with interferens.Cost around $100 and comes with lighter charger and home charger, connectors cable and+++.You can use at home and turn any tuner in your home systems FM to same channel and listen all the songs you have in your Ipod.

I don't recommend cable hook up (even monster cable) FM quality excellent.

how could a fm signal b better than a direct connection ? go figure.. and y do u need a charger i have and ipod mini whos battery when fully charged is good for 16 hours.. im never in the car that long.. go figure.. theres a million options to listen at home (fm) being by far the worst. lets remember that fm transmit is a option only if u can not (direct connect ) but its surley not and upgrade thats like saying (mono) is better than (stereo).. GO FIGURE.

if you mean your wife has the fm transmitter.. get her some type of direct connection 4 christmas.. dont get me wrong fm transmit sounds ok upto a point ..the louder u turn up the volume the more distortion your going to get .. with direct connect through the line level input thats not going to happen.. so i ? its a matter of taste if u have a system that knocks and u want to get the best out of it go with direct connect.. if u dont care either way go with fm transnmit.