Gas Cap Seal - Who Knew?

HubJunky1

I get this catalog from Bavarian Autosport since I ordered parts for my BMW from them (Great company, by the way) and in this month's feature it talked about the importance of the gas cap and how it seals off the pressure in the fuel system. They said that if you had a poor seal, it would effect the performance of the car and greatly decrease gas mileage. Now, my car is pushing 86k on the odometer and I doubt this has ever been changed before (Lexus recommends ever 40k i believe) so I ordered the part for about 10 bucks, changed it in about 30 seconds, and I can't believe how different my engine feels! The engine is coasting more smoothly at highway speeds, it feels peppier, and oddly enough the shifting feels smoother. So far, the gas needle isnt so dramatic either!

Anyone else had this part changed? I'm almost sure the improvement isnt all in my head ;)

I get this catalog from Bavarian Autosport since I ordered parts for my BMW from them (Great company, by the way) and in this month's feature it talked about the importance of the gas cap and how it seals off the pressure in the fuel system.  They said that if you had a poor seal, it would effect the performance of the car and greatly decrease gas mileage.  Now, my car is pushing 86k on the odometer and I doubt this has ever been changed before (Lexus recommends ever 40k i believe) so I ordered the part for about 10 bucks, changed it in about 30 seconds, and I can't believe how different my engine feels!  The engine is coasting more smoothly at highway speeds, it feels peppier, and oddly enough the shifting feels smoother.  So far, the gas needle isnt so dramatic either! 

Anyone else had this part changed?  I'm almost sure the improvement isnt all in my head  ;)

no, but wwith 145K on mine, shes gotta be getting close...who'da thunk it? :huh:

Here in NJ you are required to get a state inspection every 2 years. During the inspection one of the tests is a leak down test on you gas cap. They remove you gas cap and connect it to something that applies vacuum to the cap. This way they can test the seal. This because it is important for emissions and you evap system to work right.

As far as performance I have never herd that before. Is it possible to post the article here I would be very interested in reading it.