'03 Es300 Steering Popping

Concord

Hello,

My '03 (15,000 miles) steering makes a "clunk" or "pop" when slightly turning the wheel off center and then back again when the car is stopped or at very low speeds. It can be heard and also felt. Someone mentioned they had this problem and that Lexus replaced the intermediate steering shaft?

Anyone else experience this? I'm taking it to the dealer tomorrow and want to have information in case I get the, "oh that's normal"

Thanks

Its a deformed secondary steering shaft. Tell them specifically to inspect the steering system and ESPECIALLY the steering shafts and the steering rack. If you just tell them its a popping noise they will check only the suspension, pat you on the head, and tell you its fine. My shaft is on order, this is a very common problem. I'm sure they'll have to wait a couple weeks for a shaft to come in then you'll have to bring the car back in for the repair.

• 6 months later...
No problem, good luck!

Hey SW03ES,

Could you give me more information about your steering shaft that was replaced. Actual P/N's etc. The dealer tightened the steering U-joint and it seemed to help but I still have a slight steering clunk or pop when leaving a stop and turning to the right at slow speeds. It's very hard to diagnose since it happens sporatically.

Thanks for your help

Concord

Its a deformed secondary steering shaft. Tell them specifically to inspect the steering system and ESPECIALLY the steering shafts and the steering rack. If you just tell them its a popping noise they will check only the suspension, pat you on the head, and tell you its fine. My shaft is on order, this is a very common problem. I'm sure they'll have to wait a couple weeks for a shaft to come in then you'll have to bring the car back in for the repair.

Would that be something that would be covered after the warranty expires through a TSB or 'secret warranty' or only while the car is under factory warranty? :unsure:

:cheers:

Actually it wasn't the secondary steering shaft at all, they hard to replace the entire steering rack on mine. I don't have the actual part numbers though, I'll check and post when I get home.

As for warranty I'm sure its just stabndard warranty.