Es300 Overheated, Then Weak

akritsuk

Hi there,

My ES-300/1993 overheated and died on a freeway. Then head gaskets were replaced together with radiator. Now it runs as good as before, except one little problem: when I start it in the morning it is very weak until the engine warms up.

Please help to determine the problem.

Thanks

I believe SK was telling you that your engine's timing is off.  Take it back to your mechanic and have him check the timing.

Oh great! The mechanic is 60mi away. So, how bad is it for the car if I pay him a visit?

Do I better find a local shop instead of driving 60miles? Also he would do it for free, what would be the cost otherwise?

Thanks!

Well you can find another independent shop to take a look at it for you and if they charge you to fix the timing, call the shop you took it to originally and ask for reimbursement since they are responsible for the faulty timing.

To give you an idea how much it may cost, I took my car to Lexus for diagnostics, and the cost was $70, but they only adjusted my timing back to factory specs and they only charged me $35 or $30 since that was the only thing that needed adjustment. I imagine it will be a lot cheaper from an independent mechanic.

Well you can find another independent shop to take a look at it for you and if they charge you to fix the timing, call the shop you took it to originally and ask for reimbursement since they are responsible for the faulty timing. 

To give you an idea how much it may cost, I took my car to Lexus for diagnostics, and the cost was $70, but they only adjusted my timing back to factory specs and they only charged me $35 or $30 since that was the only thing that needed adjustment.  I imagine it will be a lot cheaper from an independent mechanic.

OK, if timing is off, will I have the "Check Engine" light ON? I don't have it ON.

Thanks!

Unfortunately no, the technician check the timing first. Then if it is indeed off, the tech will then adjust the timing. Either way you need to open the hood and work on it. It would be nice though that we could fix problems with just a push of a button.

no you wont have a check engine light unless it is so bad you have otehr problems

Is there a simple button to press to try setting the timing to factory defaults?

Thanks!

er, no

Is it necessary to reinstall timing belt to fix the timing problem? Or it can be done by electronics only? This car is running good after the engine warms up.

all your questions are answered in one simple answer

NO

take it back

a tech did the work

their is no simple fix

unless you own tools and have the knowldege of an engine you cannot fix it

Timing was indeed off. It is fixed now, so I will see soon if it runs better or not.

Many thanks to all!

How much was the timing off?  I know the base timing is 10 Degree BTC.

I don't recall how much, but it was off quite a bit. Now the car got it's power back and runs substantially better. I also changed the air hose which was 12 yrs old and had a large crack on the engine side.

I have another problem though: the driver-side door lock is moving into the door when I insert a key in it, some plastic part is broken. So, I'm wondering if I could buy that part and install it myself, but I don't know how to get there. I hope there is an easy way...