Air Suspension Woes (93 Ls400)

cliffordjames

I am having the same problems with the rear air suspension on a 93 LS400 (135,000 miles) as many other users have experienced. For quite some time I simply kept the suspension on the HIGH setting and the car would be fine, at least overnight if not for several days, but now the problem seems more severe, so ... I, too, am faced with the decision of either replacing the struts with standard struts or going with the Arnott remanufactured units.

If I go with the latter, can anyone tell me how difficult it would be to have my mechanic replace these? Is it relatively straightforward for an intelligent mechanic?

Would it simply be better to replace with typical struts?

Any advice will be appreciated.

Who out there has done a conversion? I am not afraid of this option as it may mean no air-suspension problems ever again!

Thanks

I am having the same problems with the rear air suspension on a 93 LS400 (135,000 miles) as many other users have experienced. For quite some time I simply kept the suspension on the HIGH setting and the car would be fine, at least overnight if not for several days, but now the problem seems more severe, so ... I, too, am faced with the decision of either replacing the struts with standard struts or going with the Arnott remanufactured units.

If I go with the latter, can anyone tell me how difficult it would be to have my mechanic replace these? Is it relatively straightforward for an intelligent mechanic?

Would it simply be better to replace with typical struts?

Any advice will be appreciated.

Who out there has done a conversion? I am not afraid of this option as it may mean no air-suspension problems ever again!

Thanks

I just had my air suspension converted over to standard suspension. Ordered the kit from strutmasters and had my mechanic do the job. Cost $795 with shipping for the kit and $160 for the installation.

To be honest, the ride isn't nearly as soft as it was when my air suspension was working. I just went with the conversion because I figured that if I had the rear air suspension fixed with the arnott replacements (for about what the conversion cost) I would eventually have to replace the front end suspension as well, thus doubling my cost. Local stealership wanted over $2K for fixing the rear end and over $3K for a conversion. Figured I got out fairly inexpensively, considering.

Going to take the car back to my mechanic to have some rubber dampeners removed from the rear shocks. Should soften the ride a bit more. Have to have him disable the dash light as well. He forgot to do that when he did the install.

Good luck with what ever you decide to do!

I used to drive a 90LS with air suspension. Now I have a 95 with springs. The ride is worth the headache of blown struts every 8-10 years if your central unit is working. The rear air struts can be changed by removing the rear seat, the rear deck and the roof pillar trim. If memory serves me right I took the trunk trim off to disconnect the air lines and then removed the struts. It was a lot of fun and bonding. Feel smart keep the air. This is my opinion.

Yo

• 2 weeks later...

:censored:

the guys are arnott are completely clueless. I tried to order one of their advertised air ride suspension rebuilt compressors, and they gave me a whole load of BS a week after they had told me they were building me one. comments like they are not building them , and i was gonna be the first person to buy a rebuilt compressor for the 90-94 ls400 from them was some of the bs they tried to force down my throat. \

Because of that BS and poor customer relations and bad marketing practices, i would not give them one dime or any business at all.

If they are not going to come through on what they advertise, theyhad better not take your money, and leave you thinking your car is gonna be back on the road in a week. Just not good business, and then try to justify why they took your money. So pathetic, and such a bad way to do business. I even talked to the owners son, and i can tell that the apple does not fall far from the tree. I am working on a replacement air compressor of my own, and will be posting as to the functionallity of it in later posts.

Basically dont buy the struts from arnott, they may not come through with whatever they advertise, ie like warranty, or whatever. later,

THE SNAKE

• 1 month later...

There is no ride when the are suspension goes out, it is terrible! In response to the comment about Arnott Industries, I just bought a rear air strut from them, I received it within a week of ordering and had my mechanic install it and my car is as good as new. I will definately buy from them again. They are also working on making the front struts available soon.

• 1 month later...
There is no ride when the are suspension goes out, it is terrible!  In response to the comment about Arnott Industries, I just bought a rear air strut from them, I received it within a week of ordering and had my mechanic install it and my car is as good as new.  I will definately buy from them again.  They are also working on making the front struts available soon.

THats great that you got good service. But i did not. I was lied to, and i dont treat that as something to just blow off. But Arnott can blow some other things. I got my air struts from Irontoad.com and that guy Ryan over there is a first class salesman, and knows what the term "customer service" really means. And their prices will give Arnott a lot of competition. For factory parts at wholesale prices, you cant beat Irontoad.com and the parts are new, not remanufactured like those Arnott idiots. I have already put on my new struts from lexus, from irontoad, and will be buyin the rear ones from them next. And thanks for the offer lexls on the air compressor, i reused my comp. thanks

THE SNAKE

B)

• 3 weeks later...
Wil,

There two fuses in the engine fuse box.  Disconnect them and the whole system shuts down.  No more flashing lights in dash.

Sorry i know this is a bit late but finally need to convert. I don't have a manual, can you please direct me to as where or which fuses needs to be removed? or if someone has it on a pdf that'd be very helpful thanks.