Crossmember

Tote

Hello all, my wife told me she ran over something on the road several days ago. 1991 LS400

Today, I looked under the car and to my surprise the crossmember( by Rack and Pinion) was chip and had a crack in it. Can't imagine what she ran over.

My question is can it be welded and secured? I don't know if it will continue to crack. Is welding it, a foolish thought? Should I just replace it? I would have a shop replace it, as it seemed like more than I can handle.

Any info would be appeciated.

Thanks

Tote

hello, its possible to weld on depending on the damage and if you do have them weld a good idea is to put plate on the damage area and weld around it so its like a brace, make sure the welder is good, have some certification, , also check junkyard for the part, or compare to a new one, probably difference aint thant much, check net, good luck

Thanks for the response. I ended up calling one of those dismantaling, wrecking yards and they had one for $100. I think I over payed but I wanted it done today.

After researching the function of the crossmember I decided to replace it. Used but complete and solid, Mine was missing an area which was about 2inches in diameter and was starting to crack all the way through.

Wouldn't of thought of asking for welding certifications. Will Now.

Tote

Thanks for the response. I ended up calling one of those dismantaling, wrecking yards and they had one for $100. I think I over payed but I wanted it done today.

After researching the function of the crossmember I decided to replace it.  Used but complete and solid, Mine was missing an area which was about 2inches in diameter and was starting to crack all the way through.

Wouldn't of thought of asking for welding certifications.  Will Now.

Tote

did you keep the old one? may we see it? thast odd that it would crack when hit with something, it has a 600 lb engine pushing against it all the time...

on second thought the LS4 may be setup differently from the ES as far as fucntuion of the cross member, on the ES there are engine mounts are attached to it.