1996 Ls400 Antenna Broken

grizzly660fan

My wife was washing her 1996 LS400 and left the car idling with radio on and antenna in the up position. the hose from car wash caught and has nearly snapped off the antenna. it has a crease in it and will need to be replaced.

Anyone every replace this before? got any advice or instructions they might share as I will be replacing this myself rather than at the dealer.

also, any tips on where to find replacement antenna cheaper than local dealer?

Thanks in advance.

My wife was washing her 1996 LS400 and left the car idling with radio on and antenna in the up position. the hose from car wash caught and has nearly snapped off the antenna. it has a crease in it and will need to be replaced.

Anyone every replace this before? got any advice or instructions they might share as I will be replacing this myself rather than at the dealer.

Thanks in advance.

If the end is the only broken part, then, you prbably won't have to remove the motor to get any broken mast pieces out. All you need is a towel, pair of pliers, new mast, and an assistant. Unscrew the nut that surronds the mast with the towel and pliers. Then, have someone turn on the am radio so that the mast comes all the way out. Grease the new mast's plastic tail, insert it as far as it can go(I can't remember if the teeth go to the front or the rear.), turn off the radio, and in she goes. Retighten the nut, and you are set! If I remember correctly from when I did this, it took a little finagling to get the nut from the old mast to the new one.

I got my mast from the dealer for a little under $50. I think they can be had on ebay for about $20.

Note to self: only hand washes for the Lexus! :lol:

If the end is the only broken part, then, you prbably won't have to remove the motor to get any broken mast pieces out. All you need is a towel, pair of pliers, new mast, and an assistant. Unscrew the nut that surronds the mast with the towel and pliers. Then, have someone turn on the am radio so that the mast comes all the way out. Grease the new mast's plastic tail, insert it as far as it can go(I can't remember if the teeth go to the front or the rear.), turn off the radio, and in she goes. Retighten the nut, and you are set! If I remember correctly from when I did this, it took a little finagling to get the nut from the old mast to the new one.

I got my mast from the dealer for a little under $50. I think they can be had on ebay for about $20.

Note to self: only hand washes for the Lexus! :lol:

Well, its broken approx in the middle of the mast. in the current sitch it won't retract all the way and its still one piece. so you are saying I can get the mast part and not have to replace the motor and all as a complete assembly? wow that is good news.

note to wife, turn off car when washing! lol she was spraying the road grime off as its winter here and the car was very dirty...

I can get the mast part and not have to replace the motor and all as a complete assembly? wow that is good news.

That's correct! Worst case you are looking at an hour total job to remove and disassemble the motor to get any pieces of the mast out.

note to wife, turn off car when washing! lol she was spraying the road grime off as its winter here and the car was very dirty...

:lol:

Thanks in advance.

I've had to do this same repair twice. I bought my replacement antenna from a guy on ebay. It took about 45 minutes the first time and about 15 the second time. Grizzly's instructions are right on. Should not be a problem at all.

Thanks in advance.

I've had to do this same repair twice. I bought my replacement antenna from a guy on ebay. It took about 45 minutes the first time and about 15 the second time. Grizzly's instructions are right on. Should not be a problem at all.

http://www.carstereohelp.com/stereoremoval...ES300PwrAnt.htm something like this !!!