Snow Problems? Rx330

techbiz

SEADUCK79,

How would you interpret by only reading this in the owners manual, ""USE THIS MODE WHEN STARTING YOUR VEHICLE IN ICE AND SNOW", since English is your mother tongue???

I would apply the same logic as that of SW032 and say to myself "Hmmm...the transmission has almost nothing to do with starting the engine, so it must mean when I start to move the car. Since the presence of snow would also not make any difference when starting the engine (issues of temperature aside), I would have to corroborate my initial hunch with the likelihood that the only snow issues that could have anything to do with the transmission would have to do with traction.

Since the most likely way the tranny could affect traction when starting to move the car would be to reduce wheel slip by starting in 2nd gear, and since I was taught to do this manually 30 years ago, I would need no more convincing that this was not only the intent, but the function, of the ETC button.

So knowledge of the language is secondary to knowledge of driving and cars. I'm no expert on either, but I'm not the one who doesn't understand this particular point. When the manual isn't written clearly (and I agree that this isn't), we must use deductive reasoning to discern the true intent.

Man this topic took off!!

The ECT-SNOW switch....ALL it does is start the tranny off in 2nd gear, thats IT!!! If you ever notice our 1st gear is really low(easy to spin tires in snow,wet,ice) Push that switch in and its a differant ballgame, takes off in 2nd and much easier to manage in the snow!

Heck if you wanted too you could push that button EVERY time you get in the car weather its snow or 100 degrees out, its not going to hurt a darn thing. This is a simple switch that does a simple thing.

Now my 4-Runner has a ECT(only) swtich...all that does is raise the shift points to get better acceleration with the dame amount of throttle input. I kind of like having that switch on all the time and it will stay on as long as you like--it wont default off when you cut the car off and back on like the ECT..Snow switch will.

SW03ES,

I am not saying that you are wrong, its no need to get upset here.  I am just simply brought up the exact wording which the RX owner's manual quote "USE THIS MODE WHEN STARTING YOUR VEHICLE IN ICE AND SNOW". This is exactly what it states in the owners manual, so how confuse that Lexus made its manual.  My RX does eliminate the 1st gear when ECT switch was pressed.  I do remember that I have tested drive one RX without the ECT snow switch during the time when I bought my car.  So basically it reduce the possibility of wheelspin when accelerating in snow by starting at shift 2nd.  Traction is more relies on the VSC system.  Should blame the Lexus by providing such a confuse manual.

After all of the evidence SW has cited, have you ever tried to turn on the ECT Snow switch prior to starting your car? If you haven't, I suggest you do. The switch doesn't work with the car off. If you turn it on while the car is running and then turn the car off, the ECT turns off. The only way you know it is on is by the indicator light in the speedo. There needs to be a little common sense applied here, despit the owner's manual confusion.

• 4 years later...

Hi,

Have you guys figured out why RX330 performs badly in snow and ice road?

Thanks a lot in advance!

George

In boston

I have a '04 AWD 330. Have been very surprised with how badly it performs in snow. A couple times there were only 2-3" on the ground and I really felt that I didn't have much control over the car. Breaking was also very very bad.

Am I the only one out there? I live in the Northeast and didn't want to take any risks during the recent big snow storm (if 2" won't work, 2+ feet won't help either). The dealer did check and said the AWD is "functioning properly as designed." ECT Snow mode didn't quite help.

Having owned a Subaru before, I do know how that car feels (great in snow) and the big difference I am experiencing.

Any feedback would be great.

Hi,

Have you guys figured out why RX330 performs badly in snow and ice road?

Thanks a lot in advance!

George

In boston

I have a '04 AWD 330. Have been very surprised with how badly it performs in snow. A couple times there were only 2-3" on the ground and I really felt that I didn't have much control over the car. Breaking was also very very bad.

Am I the only one out there? I live in the Northeast and didn't want to take any risks during the recent big snow storm (if 2" won't work, 2+ feet won't help either). The dealer did check and said the AWD is "functioning properly as designed." ECT Snow mode didn't quite help.

Having owned a Subaru before, I do know how that car feels (great in snow) and the big difference I am experiencing.

Any feedback would be great.

It's kind of fun reading the various comments. Of course, ECT "SNOW" starts in 2nd gear and may (on he older RX300, I believe) maintain slightly higher revs. before changing gear. The idea that a vehicle is uncontrollable when ECT Snow is engaged, vs. 'controllable' when ECT Snow is not, is hilarious.

On a more serious note, the newer RX I got (09RX350) came with the 18" rims, and (-- no I did not drive it in the snow though I did in the older RX300 and it was one of the most capable vehicles, ECT Snow engaged or not --) I always wondered how those would perform - the tires that came with the car were Michelin 'Energy' with quite tight blocks and grooves. Checking tirerack, I noted only few tires that seemed suitable for snow (Bridgestone Blizzak/ Pirelli Scorpion M&S...): the others oriented towards more 'performance'. The tires that work best in snow have wider grooves (to let the snow evacuate the grooves rather than pack them) and more 'edges' that can 'catch' in the snow, with more spaces between 'blocks'. I believe the problem some of the drivers reported in previous posts are directly linked to unsuitable tires, which can be downright dangerous on snow if their grooves are packed. In effect, you are then driving a 'snow coated tire' on a 'snow-coated road', and the coefficient of traction is abysmally low.

If not chains (studs for ice), the answer is winter tires for winter driving.

• 2 weeks later...

WOW, I can't believe I just read most of this thread... Man I must really be board at work today...

"When starting your vehicle in the snow" LOL...

I must say you have to hand it to the technical writers over at Lexus... Great Job!!!

I think the majority of the folks will read it as intended... but it is the job of the technical writers of the manuals to ensure it be an easy non ambiguous read...

I recall when I read the manual my self when I first purchased, I was like "what.." and had to re-read a few random sections of it, to get the full grasp...

my .02, on this riveting thread...

I have to chime in on ECT snow mode. Yes, all ECT Snow Mode does is start the car out in second gear rather than first - the idea is to limit wheelspin. You can achieve the exact same same effect by manually placing your transmission into second gear when starting. Of course, you have to go into drive once you're moving unless you want to drive around in second all day long. ECT Snow Mode save you the trouble. Heck, you can use Snow Mode in the summer if you don't care about first gear.

I have to chime in on ECT snow mode. Yes, all ECT Snow Mode does is start the car out in second gear rather than first - the idea is to limit wheelspin. You can achieve the exact same same effect by manually placing your transmission into second gear when starting. Of course, you have to go into drive once you're moving unless you want to drive around in second all day long. ECT Snow Mode save you the trouble. Heck, you can use Snow Mode in the summer if you don't care about first gear.

Well, now I am learning something.... I thought that the gear selector in 2 allowed first and second gear, and the gear selector in 3 allowed 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear etc..., much like D (Drive) allowed all gears up to and including Drive. If that is not correct, what does the gear selector in '3' select: only 3rd gear?