My Es300 Eats Gas So Much Than Ever

dickholy

recently the car seems like so hungry and uses more gas than ever before, because i been spent more money on gas for the same running distances i drive everyday than past a few weeks. will that be anything wrong with the car? :pirate: :chairshot:

Hmm... when was the last time you had a tune up?  If you notice a drop in fuel economy then most likely your car needs a tune up.  Oh ya if you switched fuel brands, then that may be a cause as well.

i just do the tune up by myself such as motor & trans oil change, filters change, breaks etc. for the gas, i only use the regular in any station which they sell gas cheap. :D

Have you replaced your spark plugs, checked/replaced cap and rotor (depending on what your year ES you have, 94+ don't have a cap and rotor anymore), and cleaned throttle body/fuel injectors? I take it your air filter is okay right? Oh ya maybe a motorvac would do your engine good (I still need to find a place to do that for my ES :chairshot: )

recently the car seems like so hungry and uses more gas than ever before, because i been spent more money on gas for the same running distances i drive everyday than past a few weeks. will that be anything wrong with the car?  :pirate:  :chairshot:

could it be that maybe you have a CEL code P0135 (faulty O2 sensor) and lots of unburned fuel is just getting blown out with your exhaust??????

:chairshot: :chairshot: :chairshot: :chairshot:

put this thread together with your other thread and it makes sense.

steviej

i feel ure pain! my car all of a sudden jsut started eating gas. i am on empty right now and i went only 230 miles on the 16 gallon tank,and thats with 89 gas!

i never had a tune up or anything. but i had my intake installed liek half a year ago so my filter should be fine. oil was just changed.

recently the car seems like so hungry and uses more gas than ever before, because i been spent more money on gas for the same running distances i drive everyday than past a few weeks. will that be anything wrong with the car? :pirate: :chairshot:

could it be that maybe you have a CEL code P0135 (faulty O2 sensor) and lots of unburned fuel is just getting blown out with your exhaust??????

:chairshot: :chairshot: :chairshot: :chairshot:

the exhaust is very dry and clean, there is no fuel leaking... ...

The milage got better from the reduction in vacumeload on the engine

now you have filled up the inside of the engien with carbon from using that short arm intake.

never mind you took the principle of more power and destroyed it by not useing the best available octane causing you to run lean

but i do remember telling this a while ago

take it off ,and join the group of other people who threw they in the garbage , do it and i can guarntee the car will improve in performance with a stock intake again

hmm si actually have sorta a problem,can running lean cause my exuast to smell sorta liek rotten eggs when car is 100% throttle on highway........ also u siad carbon buildup....woudlnt a nice run of 100 mph take care of that..?

also ,i dont see a reason using a higher octane on a es300,intake or not. it has no turbo its compression is not at anypoint close to something that would require a higher octane. putting in a higher octane is like trying to scratch a gameticket(lottery type scratch offs) with a diamond,when a nickel could of dont just as well.

...but maybe u know something on this subject i dont. if you do please explain...

hmm si actually have sorta a problem,can running lean cause my exuast to smell sorta liek rotten eggs when car is 100% throttle on highway........ also u siad carbon buildup....woudlnt a nice run of 100 mph take care of that..?

if your car smells like rotten eggs, it may be too late. this is usually a sign of clogged catalytic coverter (s). however, this may not be the case, i cant tell you for sure without riding in the car. alot of times when people get the rotten egg smell, they take the car in for a tune up and all works fine afterwards. i would say spend the $100 on a tune up first.

100 dollars on tuneup?!?!?!? i was priced 600 dollars for a tuneup. sorry but i dotn believe a 6500 dollar car needs to have a 600 dollar tune up(cars salvage so the bb value is lik 7500)

and yea i know its sign of cat converter but thing is it onyl happens on highway when 100% throttle,so thats why i was thinking its b\c it leans out too much.

As for the sulfur smell (rotten eggs), have you tried switching gasoline brands to see if there is a difference?

I don't know though, even though your car is salvaged, I'd still get a tune up so you don't compound the problems. If not why don't you buy the spark plugs, clean the throttle body, change the tranny fluid, check/replace your spark plug wires, fuel filter etc...and do that yourself for half of the cost from a shop.

got to agree with vcv try switching brands as some have a higher sulphur % causing the smell before calling the cat dead. Army has a point but as usual always the worst possibility one first.

Kyle i will explain this as simple as possible about the intake and gas

short ram crap --this is garbage because it only ingest hot engine air which is expanded reducing the number of oxygen particles ,it sounds great has lost of power when the engine is cold after time this hot air mixed with gas creates larger deposits of carbon than normal

cold air intake where the filter is located outside the engien bay, works wonders when made properly not half assed, by receiving colder air which is more dense in oxygen to facilitate combustion and reduced intake load for vacume in an oem intake system it increases horsepower. A real basic calculation of reduced intertia of the engine used to ingest air can be used for the wheels to spin.

You are now increasing the oxygen which also needs more fuel to support the combustion properly to keep it balanced at stocih as needed.

If you use normal gas you run lean as it all gets burnt easily and causes the spent gases to get hotter than normal ,as is a lean condition.

So higher octane is mandatory for any increase in factory ecu map cruves.

By the same token an intake reduces the amount of fuel needed as it can run leaner and richer as thei is more flexability to the mapping now.

hope you understand this.

yea vcv i prabably will do that,im a fan of working on cars. its jsut winter time and i dont feel liek freezing in the cold doing it. but as soon as summer hits im fixing up my car.

and yes sk i understand that its engine bay heat but it "sucks " the air liek 4 times faster. that cools the air drastically. trying sucking in air faster as compared to slowly. also i do believe my car is running lean when in high rpm;s b\c of the intake. and that means that more air is getting to the engine which means the intake is beign effective.

....also thanks SK for continually debating with me on things liek this and not getting annoyed.....even if u have opposing views i lik debating as i always learn something......

also the rotten egg s question u guys might be right about different brands. b\c ive only had a complaint about it one time when my friend was driving behind me. so its not lik iv e had this happen on many many instances. i was just wondering b\c if its b\c the engine is running way to lean i know thats horrible b\c at those tempaeratures fuel actually acts as a coolant.

also is it normal that after lets say aggressive driving the engine bay smells alittle bit. liek nothing particular but u can smell it if u put ure nose by it.

no problem kyle

i don;t mind explaing something as long as someone doesn;t ask me the same thing again 5 mintues later.

and running lean is not a good thing either

it creates hot spots from carbon which cause uncontrollable combustion .

which robs power.

it may be able to injest more air in volume but it is an avaerage of 50-100 degrees C inside an engine bay

so unless the air speed is 300 kph it would never use ( i think) the venturi affect to compensate for the increase in heat especially with only 2 feet at the most from filter to valves

if it didn;t make a difference in heat so much then dynos which measure real hp gains and loses would never bother using barometric pressure sealevel heights and air temp into the equations to balance the numbers depending on these factors

dont cars eat more gas in winter time?

yes it eats more cause u keep warming car up for few minutes before going, but some ppl just start and go , in any temperatures, and they still have more gas consumption, I remamber that some one said that they add something in fuel in winter, but I dont really know

My car eats a lot of gas, I get like 15-18mpg, city, I dont want to bother doing tune up, cause its not worth it, since i only drive like 5-7 k a yr, spending $ on it would be a waste . Eventually i ll check it out, but over 6mpg, i wont bother