How Often Do You Change Your Transmission Oil

danxnguyen

Do you plan to keep the car beyond 100,000 miles? If so, change fluid every 15,000 miles (but just drain and refill the transmission oil pan which is much less expensive than total fluid replacement).

Do you prefer to minimize the risk of unexpected future financial shocks (like a $9,000 bill for transmission replacement). If so, change the fluid every 15,000 miles.

One side note: The 2004 LS400 comes factory equipped with a more durable "World Standard" type of fluid. So 30,000 mile change intervals may be adequate. But, on the other hand the 6-speed automatic in the 2004 LS400 is a totally new design with an unproven track record. BE ABSOLUTELY SURE the dealer uses the new WS = World Standard Fluid. The dealers tend to be sloppy (afterall they are run by Americans and there is nothing corporate Lexus can do to change our culture) so don't let them harm the long term durability of your transmission by installing Type T-IV or Dexron III fluid.

So everything comes down to a matter of risk. Many guys on this forum consider it "macho" to take risks, so consider that bias factor as well. Read the RX 300/330 forum if you want to know what has happened to owners who extended transmission fluid change intervals.

I do plan to keep it for 200,000 miles. I don't mind paying an extra $60 for the transmission oil change if it prevent harm to the transmission. Just wanted to make sure there is basis for the 15K interval.

Thank you for the heads up on the World Standard Fluid. I will definitely request that they use this fluid.

I do plan to keep it for 200,000 miles.  I don't mind paying an extra $60 for the transmission oil change if it prevent harm to the transmission.  Just wanted to make sure there is basis for the 15K interval. 

Thank you for the heads up on the World Standard Fluid.  I will definitely request that they use this fluid.

15K interval is for 2.5Qt pan-drain and refill. at 120K miles, you do need to do a complete tranny fluid flush, which takes 16QT of tranny oil.

If you're handy at all, changing the trans fluid is easier than changing the oil. I do it every 15k as well because it costs me about $15 in fluid from the dealer each time. The easiest way is to check the level before opening the drain plug and verify that it's ok. If so, drain and then pour what comes out into some type of measuring bucket or even empty quart bottles. Then just put in exactly what you took out and you'll know that the level is good.

Bob

I drain the pan with every 5k mile oil change as per the Agent's recommendation. ;) It takes less than 10 minutes to do, and I think it's a worth while task since my car has 250k miles. Every little bit helps when they get this old! B)

I drain the pan with every 5k mile oil change as per the Agent's recommendation. ;)  It takes less than 10 minutes to do, and I think it's a worth while task since my car has 250k miles. Every little bit helps when they get this old! B)

Soon to be in the 300K Club..........and beyond :cheers:

I have gotten a little lazy Blake----------every other oil change is good for me. But that's only after I changed it 4 time the first 2 months I had the LS ; to get the tranny color pretty n' pink :D /...................... B)

I drain the pan with every 5k mile oil change as per the Agent's recommendation. ;)  It takes less than 10 minutes to do, and I think it's a worth while task since my car has 250k miles. Every little bit helps when they get this old! B)

Do you have to jack up the car to do this?

No, with a little bit of stretching..........you can do it - I have :D

I use the ratchet to increase the reach of my arm; put a 6" extension on (I believe its a 12 MM) and you can "feel" the bolt and loosen.......just dig under the drivers door and squeeze under there a little. I cut thru the middle of a 5 gallon bucket for my drain pan. I did this several times when I first got the car - about every 500 miles or so....... then it's easy maintenance during an oil change because it is up on ramps then....

Be careful on tightening the drain bolt - its only 15 ft lbs ------that's not very much!!

Thank you for the great info. Looks like I can do this myself. Looks like I don't

even have to worry about the cover underneath.

For oil change you drive your car up the ramp?

sounds dangerous...you prefer it over using the jack?

I wanted to do the oil change myself but not too comfortable driving

the car up the ramp.

No, with a little bit of stretching..........you can do it - I have :D

I use the ratchet to increase the reach of my arm; put a 6" extension on (I believe its a 12 MM) and you can "feel" the bolt and loosen.......just dig under the drivers door and squeeze under there a little. I cut thru the middle of a 5 gallon bucket for my drain pan. I did this several times when I first got the car - about every 500 miles or so....... then it's easy maintenance during an oil change because it is up on ramps then....

Be careful on tightening the drain bolt - its only 15 ft lbs ------that's not very much!!

Thank you for the great info. Looks like I can do this myself. Looks like I don't

even have to worry about the cover underneath.

For oil change you drive your car up the ramp?

sounds dangerous...you prefer it over using the jack?

I wanted to do the oil change myself but not too comfortable driving

the car up the ramp.

Ramps are much safer than jacks.............

I use low angle "Rhino" ramps ---get em at autozone ===$30

Put them tight to the front wheels and centered nicely, then slowly go up them---keep your left foot on the brake so when you level off you can stop quickly. Not really a big deal.

Try it once, get out of the car and check it out....back down very slowly and do it again....practice makes perfect!!! Set the parking brake and block the real wheels for safety. This is the best way to do it short of a lift.

These ramps hold 9,000 lbs..........you won't catch me under my car without them.

I have 2004 LS430 and my lexus dealer wants to have the transmission oil change at 15,000 mile.  Is this too soon?  My manual said to change at 60,000 . 

How often do you change your transmission oil?

I think 15,000 miles is much too soon personally. What are the reasons why your dealer wants you to change it so soon? I assume your LS uses the Toyota type IV fluid? B) I'd consider using the Amsoil synthetic ATF when it does come time to change it......no worries as it is compatable with Toyota type IV fluid & will last much longer! B) Here is a link:

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/atf.aspx

:cheers:

I have 2004 LS430 and my lexus dealer wants to have the transmission oil change at 15,000 mile.  Is this too soon?  My manual said to change at 60,000 .  

I think 15,000 miles is much too soon personally. What are the reasons why your dealer wants you to change it so soon? I assume your LS uses the Toyota type IV fluid? B) I'd consider using the Amsoil synthetic ATF when it does come time to change it......no worries as it is compatable with Toyota type IV fluid & will last much longer! B) Here is a link:

I didn't ask them why. I assume that it is for preventative. That is why I check around the forum to see what all the owners are doing. I checked the manual and it uses ATF WS oil (world standard). My cousin has a jaguar and he said that the transmission is sealed so it doesn't need to be changed. But I the LS is not sealed but how often is the question. I want to be safe than sorry so 15,000 is reasonable.

I didn't ask them why. I assume that it is for preventative. That is why I check around the forum to see what all the owners are doing. I checked the manual and it uses ATF WS oil (world standard). My cousin has a jaguar and he said that the transmission is sealed so it doesn't need to be changed. But I the LS is not sealed but how often is the question. I want to be safe than sorry so 15,000 is reasonable.

your cousin is wrong. his AT is not sealed. well it is, but only so it wont leak. the fluid will still burn. it has to be changed too.

it seems folks are still confused about tranny fluid change. the pan-drain fluid change only constitute 15% of entire tranny oil in your tranny. there are 85% retained inside the tranny block. so, doing 2.5Qt pan-drain every 15K is not really considered excessive.

assuming you drive 15K a year, that means you finally come close to change out 100% of factory-filled tranny oil (aboub 16qt capacity) after 7 year or 105K miles. you can never change out 100% because the new 2.5qt you put in there 15K increments were fixed with the old fluid and getting old themselves overtime. that's why you need to do a complete 100% tranny-flush at 100K~120K miles to give it a fresh start! dealer usually charges $150~$200 to do 100% flush, including 16qt of ultra expensive ATF Type V ($7 per qt!).

"sealed" in the sense that it's never supposed to be changed just like Audi. I don't agree but they don't even have a dipstick to check the level.. you have to do that from underneath the car.

Bob

this was audi and jaguars attempt to generate revenue forthe dealers. unfortunately, it has to be changed, but most people cant do it. peopel see no dipstick and think, o its sealed, it doesnt have to be changed. i assure you, this is hardly the case. even if the fluid was synthetic, itwill still burn, it will just take longer to do it. what year audi and jag?