Sc300 2jzgte (supra Tt + 6spd) Swap Ca Legal?

KahnBB6

Hello!

I've just come across this forum. I drive a Honda Prelude Type SH and love the car but I've always wanted a RWD turbocharged coupe or sedan. I also need the car to be CA legal as I will be working there in a couple of years. I thought a 240SX might be a good choice but you can't legally swap in the Japan turbo engine.

So I thought a Lexus SC300 5-speed would be a good choice. It's RWD, Supra-based, comes in 5-speed, the used market prices are now reasonable, and the Supra TT engine, 6 speed tranny and rear diff bolt right in.

A 100% legal, midsize coupe, 320HP twin turbo inline six, RWD, 6-speed manual, 3500 lbs. And it's a bulletproof Toyota/Lexus to boot.

Can this be done and be okay'd in California? Is it too good to be true? This is the only car I can think of wherein it looks like I can get away with this and keep it on the road. If so, I'm seriously going to consider selling my Prelude and buying a 5-speed SC.

-Craig

• 1 month later...

Yup Its legal.. unless you did what I did... get the 2JZ-GTE (JDM) no egr :chairshot: .... hehehehehe. As long as you stick with the 2JZ-GTE (USDM) you are good to go :D

A little off topic.... sorry don't mean to thread jack... but BlackSC4, what what kind of tranny do you have. As of right now I have the w58 tranny and rear dif... I do also have the 6sp getrag v160 tranny waiting to be installed, but was wondering if i should install the v160 or sell it and get the 5sp r154 tranny. I have heard mixed things about it and was wondering if you could shed some light on the matter. A lot fo the people i talk to say that the r154 is an excellent tranny and can hold almost as much as the v160 and on top of that i wouldn't have to shift gears as much. But we all know how good the v160 is. Please let me know your opinion on the matter

Are you keeping the same rear end? If your keeping your NA rear end, then keep the tranny. If your going witha supra lsd rearend then swap the tranny to your v160.

Mike

97 SC300

867RWHP

V160-:)

No... im am replacing the lsd with whatever tranny i do decide to get. If i do get the r154 i will get the rear diff from a MKIII supra turbo and if i decide to install the v160 ill get the MKIV supra TT rear diff. But i think im going to sell the v160. I just drove a r154, can i can't tell that much of a difference. A lot of my friends who just did 2jz swaps in their cars both got the r154 and they are very happy with it. I am not looking for more then prolly 450rwhp. I will be happy at 400rwhp. So i think the r154 will do wonders for me. Thanks sc300ccret for your input :cheers:

• 2 years later...

i'm planning on doing that swap as well, i think your best shot is gonna be to get a usdm engine with as little aftermarket as possible, make sure it is at least the same year if not newer, the obd1 can be replaced with an obd1 or 2, but the 2 can only be replaced with a 2, no going older, and i think the switch was in 96,

hey black sc4, i'm running into alot of issues on smog, and i don't wanna put the money in before i know i can do it, how did you do it, i'd love to discuss it, i live in the bay area, send me an email i have lots of questions if you don't mind the time

• 2 years later...

I don't often like to bring really old threads back from the dead but after five years I finally did move out to Cali and find an original SC300 5-speed.

IMG_0685.JPG

It's a fantastic car. I only wish I'd crossed over to one of these sooner.

I've taken care of the usual suspects: general maintenance, clutch, TT brakes, TT rims, and I have a new suspension waiting to go in. The long term plan is still to swap in a USDM GTE motor and get the car BAR inspected. Hopefully I can get away with swapping in an MK3 R154 trans instead of a V160, because I don't plan on doing much more than BPU.

This is from a couple of months ago before I had all four TT rims and the TT calipers mounted. It's overdue for a decent set of pictures.

A lot happened in the five years since I started this thread. I couldn't have guessed I'd actually buy one of these cars :)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

ok so what the best year sc300 to get for the 2jz twin with the r154 swap? also whats better the sc400 or sc300? can the 2jz twin r154 swap be ran with the sc300 harness or would i have to exten. also with the swap what do i need to change in the sc300 total? like rear end and all' and what year motor do i need and where the best place to get it' also (last questioin lol) can anyone school me on this swap' i want to know alot more'