Tire Recommendation For Es300

MingF

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope I just checked, the Triple Tread is ONLY availiable in a T rated speed, so double check that yours are H.

It doesnt in 215/60-15 though, which is the size the new ES takes.

Understood, but TrueBlue's ES is a 98 and that size was 205/65-15. So it stands to reason that he may very well have H rated Triple Treads on his.

However, you and I are out of luck for today. I am very much interested in these tires, so hopefully Goodyear will broden its size range in the future.

steviej

As far as V and H rated go, I can sort of tell a difference especially when I am turning. As you know from my sig, I have '92 Camry V6 and a '92 ES300. My Camry has Hrated tires on it and the ES has VRated on it. When I drive the Camry on twisty corners I can hear the tires squeal like mad and the car doesn't feel that connected to the road. Whereas I drive my ES, the tires don't squeal and the vehicle feels more connected. I've actually considered putting V rated on the Camry, but I don't drive as often to warrant putting it on (maybe next time I need tires for it). I understand that the ES is a bit stiffer than the Camry, but for the most part I would stick with the manufacturers suggested ratings because it does affect handling. That's just my personal experience. Understandable that for winter that obviously V rated won't be available.

The H speed rating for the Triple Treads will be more than enough of a speed rating on your ES....like already mentioned, it'sonly one speed rating down from V so I doubt you will hardly notice it anyways! :D ;) B) I can also get the Triple Treads in an H speed rating for my 01 ES size of 205 60 16. B)

:cheers:

• 4 weeks later...
I got the Bridgestone Potenzas RE92 on my 2001 and like them. 

Why all the speed rating concern when most won't drive over 85 miles per hour anyway ?

George

When an auto manufacturer specifies a tires speed rating it's figured by the cars speed capability. That's why I'll always get a "V" rated tire. I'd rather be safe then sorry. IMO. ;)

I own a 2002 ES300, with Michelin MVX4 tires.  I was wondering what tires I should purchase to replace these ones? I find that the Michelins worn out quickly.  I want a tire that is quiet, smooth and either an all season tire or high performance all season tire.  I heard Toyo tires are good for the ES300? What about Continental Tires? Isn't Continental tires used on BMW's n Volvos? What's the best tire out there for the ES300?  I want either Michelins, Toyos or Continental tires.

Well I have Toyo Proxes on my es right now. Not saying they are bad, but I will NOT be buying them when I need another set. For me the road noise is slow to stop and the traction in snow is not what I had.

I got the Bridgestone Potenzas RE92 on my 2001 and like them. 

Why all the speed rating concern when most won't drive over 85 miles per hour anyway ?

George

Ouch......not a good tire in bad weather....especially snow & heavy rain. :wacko: :chairshot: :blink: One of the worst tires I have ever had on a car.

Agreed mburn....I think I'll try something else too.......Happy with the Toyo's overall mind you, but by the time they need replacing......I'm sure they will be pretty much at the end of their 'life cycle' & will something better to choose from, either from Toyo or another tire maker.

Yeah the Potenza RE92s are some of the worse high line tires on the market, drive an ES without them and you'll see the difference.

They did have better snow traction than my Proxes TPTs though, but the Toyos are better in every other respect.

As for Kumhos I've heard good things actually, and at their price...

But...no tire for this car costs $200 a peice.

As for Kumhos I've heard good things actually, and at their price...

But...no tire for this car costs $200 a peice.

I have been buying Kumho's for years - for around $45 ea., a very good tire.

I know, SKPerformance doesn't like them - oh well!!!

Not good in snow and heavy rain ?... Glad to be in sunny California  :lol:

Beautiful sunny 78 degrees in Sac today.  How is it in Toronto ?  B)

George

Light snow & about 11 degrees F. <_< :whistles: The wife & I will be departing to the Sunshine state on Friday morning however in 'Lexus One' with the Toyo's. :D ;) B)

• 7 months later...

As I reported earlier, I put a set of Turanza LSVs on my ES330 last month. I just wanted to provide a quick update. Today was the first signifcant rain storm since I put the tires on. I was very, very impressed. The tires stuck to the road as well as any tires I've ever driven (better than most). Not only that, but the noise level was much lower than normal on a rainy day for this car (using the older Turanza tires).

Overall, I can't say enough good things about the LSVs. The only thing I haven't been able to check is snow and ice. If you have much snow an ice, you might want to do some more research, but if you have that much snow, you'll probably want winter treads, anyway.

As I reported earlier, I put a set of Turanza LSVs on my ES330 last month. I just wanted to provide a quick update. Today was the first signifcant rain storm since I put the tires on. I was very, very impressed. The tires stuck to the road as well as any tires I've ever driven (better than most). Not only that, but the noise level was much lower than normal on a rainy day for this car (using the older Turanza tires).

Overall, I can't say enough good things about the LSVs. The only thing I haven't been able to check is snow and ice. If you have much snow an ice, you might want to do some more research, but if you have that much snow, you'll probably want winter treads, anyway.

Would you comment your car MPG after you put those tires? Please.

The LS-x tires have worst rolling resistance around that makes MPG down about 10%.

The good part of LS-x is high life.

tnx.

Would you comment your car MPG after you put those tires? Please.

The LS-x tires have worst rolling resistance around that makes MPG down about 10%.

The good part of LS-x is high life.

tnx.

Actually, the best part of the tire is the ride quality and noise level. Tire life isn't a concern for m. As for mileage, I don't measure it. I doubt if the tires are going to cause that much difference. My guess is that you'd need to measure mileage under very carefully controlled conditions to see the difference. I really can't imagine a 10% difference.

You might actually be surprised. I've seen MPG fluctuate by as much as 10% or more because of tires. My MPG improved by 20% at least when I replaced the TPTs with the MXV4s. Still really happy with them too BTW.

I've really enjoyed the ride with the MXV4's as well. I have noticed a slight difference in handling though. The toyo's seemed to be more of a "sport" tire. I've really noticed it on the highway. It seems like its harder to keep the car going straight (does that make sense?). Not like it pulls or anything, just a little more mushy. As for MPG, I really haven't seen a change. Anyways, other than the slight change in handling, I think the MXV4 is one of the best tires out there.

You might actually be surprised. I've seen MPG fluctuate by as much as 10% or more because of tires. My MPG improved by 20% at least when I replaced the TPTs with the MXV4s. Still really happy with them too BTW.

I'd be absolutely shocked if the mpg increased by 20% simply by changing the tires UNDER IDENTICAL TEST CONDITIONS.

The problem is that in the real world, you don't have identical test conditions. You probably were on the highway more after the change.

Tires only contribute a few HP of energy loss. Even if you drove that to zero, it's not going to increase your mileage by 20%.

If you believe all the mileage claims here, all you have to do is change the tires, install an aftermarket air filter, adjust the timing, and use synthetic oil and you'll get 50 mpg.

Same conditions, I drive exactly as I have driven the car for the last 50k miles, since I've installed the MXV4s my mileage is consistently 1.8-2.5 MPG better (10-15%).

What else would have caused this significant change, I drive the same speeds and places as I always have, and what are the odds whatever change has occured occured right after I replaced the tires?

The rolling resistance rating of a tire can have a significant impact on your MPG. Deflate your tires 1PSI and see what an impact it'll have.