Tire Recommendation For Es300

MingF

I own a 2002 ES300, with Michelin MVX4 tires. I was wondering what tires I should purchase to replace these ones? I find that the Michelins worn out quickly. I want a tire that is quiet, smooth and either an all season tire or high performance all season tire. I heard Toyo tires are good for the ES300? What about Continental Tires? Isn't Continental tires used on BMW's n Volvos? What's the best tire out there for the ES300? I want either Michelins, Toyos or Continental tires.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are MANY MANY threads on tire reccomendations for the ES and other Lexuses, I'd do a search and see what information you can come up with. I had the same question in June and I know that thread was over 25 posts long.

I have the Toyo Proxes TPTs on my car and like them a lot, they are very smooth and quiet and supposedly have a 60k treadwear warranty although I've heard from others that they don't last that long (common). I would highly reccomend them to you as long as you never drive in the snow, mine are so poor in the snow as to make them dangerous. They really shouldn't be an all season tire.

I've never had Continentals but I did look at the Continental ContiExtremeContact and ContiPremierContact lines. I heard from some people that they ride hard so I stayed away from them. Typically the higher the treadwear rating the harder the rubber and the harder the ride.

Why only Michelin Toyo or Continental? Many other manufacturers make great tires. The Dunlop SP Sport 5000 is an excellent tire despite relatively short treadwear, but they're pretty cheap at $85 or so each, they come original equipment on several Lexus models. Yokohama also makes a good tire, the Yokohama AVS dB S2 is a very highly rated tire that is supposedly very quiet.

Michelin also just revamped its MXV4 line of tires with the MXV4 S8 that is supposed to be smoother, quieter, offer better handling and have better treadlife than the MXV4+ you have on your ES.

Lots of choices lol, I like my Toyos but I'll never buy another set because of the snow traction. We had an inch yesterday and I almost couldn't even get the car back up the driveway.

I have had michilens, not too bad, but nothing to brag about. I have also had "kirkland" brand tires from costco about 5 years ago. WOW, that was pure crap. I now have toyo's and I love them. No squeeling on turns and seem to handle better on wet and icy pavement than most tyres.

Hello mingf

Check out tirerack.com for some good tire selections and reviews.

I drive a 04 with the Dunlop 5000 tires, 11000 miles, and are pretty good. As far as wear, time will tell, get some flat spotting at times, but not as bad when new. The Continental Conti Premier Contact I hear are good. Have a good time shopping!

Timothy

Continental is a good tire brand, but the flat spotting complaint on their ContiExtreme tires made change my mind on putting them on my ES. They have good reviews on traction for wet, dry and light snow though (initially why I wanted them), not to mention they had a great price on them. I'm most likely going to go for the Yokohama AVS dB S2 personally (still considering the Toyos). I don't care for the Yokohama's treadwear rating, but their price per tire is cheap. I currently have Bridgestone Turanza Revo, and for being worn out they are still pretty good. I would get a set of Turanza LS-Vs, but they are very expensive with $120 per tire. Good luck with your tire decision.

i put the ContiPremierContacts

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...romCompare1=yes

the 17" version becuae i run 17 inch wheels. i picked these for two reasons first price $92 that is insain for a 17s and second they got very good revews by many more people 11,853,440 people gave them very good raitings and for the money they came out way on top for me.

look

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresult....jsp?type=UHPAS

I have have them for about 3 months and i must say i like them. and this past month i thought they worked great in the snow. and dam do they blow the Bridgestone Potenza i had on befor and they are were much cheeper

What are you looking for in a tire specifically? :unsure: Do you perfer longer mileage, more on the performance & handling side of things or is a more comfortable ride more to your liking? B)

What part of Toronto are you from?

:cheers:

I'm looking for a tire that is equivlent to the Michelins MXV4's I have now. Something that has good mileage and is smooth and quiet. My Michelins didn't perform that well in snow....so I would probably want something that is a bit better in handling/grip in the snow.

Thats a pretty tall order. The TPTs are certainly comparable to the Michelins in ride and should last longer, but they're no better or worse in the snow. The Dunlop SP Sport 5000s are similarly smooth and quiet, and good in the snow but the treadwear rating is low.

I just put on Goodyear TripleTreds From Just Tires and I love'em, plus they were offering a $50 free gas card if you bought a set of 4.

I was considering getting Michelin's thru Costco, but they wouldn't go below the V rated tire that was on my car. V-rated is for speeds of 149+mph. Since obviously I wasn't concerned with that, I bought the H rated which is for rated at 132 mph I believe and Just Tires was fine with putting these on.

Anyway, that's my recent experience.

The reason they refuse to go beneath the V rated tire is that was the speed rating the handling dynamics of the car were designed around. V rated tires have stiffer sidewalls than H rated tires, the car wasn't designed for H rated tires.

I figure Lexus paid for V rated tires on these cars for a reason so I'm sticking to V rated tires.

I just put on Goodyear TripleTreds From Just Tires and I love'em, plus they were offering a $50 free gas card if you bought a set of 4.  

I was considering getting Michelin's thru Costco, but they wouldn't go below the V rated tire that was on my car.   V-rated is for speeds of 149+mph.  Since obviously I wasn't concerned with that, I bought the H rated which is for rated at 132 mph I believe and Just Tires was fine with putting these on.  

Anyway, that's my recent experience.

If they come in your size Ming, I would definately go with the Goodyear Triple Treads!! I was going to suggest the Falken Ziex ZE-512, but they are more on the 'performance' side of things & you would be sacrificing some ride quality & quiet for a little extra performance. You can check out both however. Goodyears will last 80,000 miles & the Falken's 60,000 miles. ;)

www.goodyearassurance.com

www.falkentire.com

You can also find Falken tire reviews on www.tiretrends.com

Good Luck! B)

:cheers:

Be aware though that the 80k treadwear rating may reduce the smoothness of the ride, and the Triple Treads don't come in the V speed rating the car is designed for. I personally would never put a T rated tire on a car like this, you'd have no idea the kind of compromises to the handling. An H maybe but *I* still wouldn't.

They may be good tires but IMHO they're not suited to the Lexus.

Be aware though that the 80k treadwear rating may reduce the smoothness of the ride, and the Triple Treads don't come in the V speed rating the car is designed for. I personally would never put a T rated tire on a car like this, you'd have no idea the kind of compromises to the handling. An H maybe but *I* still wouldn't.

The Goodyear Triple Tred may be available in V speed rating, I just chose the H rating. It is one down from the V rating and as I stated earlier, the V rating is a speed performance spec, The H rating is too but slightly less. I don't know why Lexus picked a V rated tire, when its really a luxury Camry and I doubt Camry's are std V-rated. IMHO.

Good Luck but if you're in doubt, by all means research this a bit.

The Goodyear Triple Tred may be available in V speed rating, I just chose the H rating. It is one down from the V rating and as I stated earlier, the V rating is a speed performance spec, The H rating is too but slightly less. I don't know why Lexus picked a V rated tire, when its really a luxury Camry and I doubt Camry's are std V-rated. IMHO.

Good Luck but if you're in doubt, by all means research this a bit.

Lexus specified V Rated for the ES because the ES is compable of speeds up to 140 MPH. I think it's also required that manufacturers provide tires that are capable of the vehicles top speed. That's how Lexus was able to put H rated tires on the LS430 because the vehicle's maximum speed is now 130 MPH (the previous generation LS400 had a top speed of 149 MPH and had V rated tires). Not to mention an H rated tire generally lasts longer and has better ride quality (that is the assumption anyway).

Nope I just checked, the Triple Tread is ONLY availiable in a T rated speed, so double check that yours are H.

Actually the Camry comes with V rated tires also.

Yes the rating is a speed performance spec but it also affects the tire's handling and the stiffness of the sidewall.

if you had me drive two identical ES's with the same make and size tires except one is H rated and the other is V rated: I don't think I could tell them apart at speeds up to 90mph.

Of course this is speculation as I rarely drive over 90 and I haven't had the chance to try this experiment.

however, I find no difference in handling from my previous V rated Bridgies and the current H rated Dunnies.

steviej