How Many Guys....

Philly RX

driving LEXUS RX 300 ? (white):blushing:

My wife tells me to sell my 2002 Acura TL-S and take her car... she wants a smaler car.

What do you think?

Due to family expansion a new Sienna mini van crowed into my garage in November and forced me out of my Bimmer 325 (after 9.5 years) - I took over my wife's 99 RX300 (gold). Tears were shed. However, after a brief period of change, it's not as bad as I expected. Biggest downside of the 99 is the reduced turning radius which drives me crazy. Fortunately wife doesn't like white so I didn't have to deal with that factor.

My plan includes displaying as much disappointment as reasonably possible (but not too much) to position the next car (MY CAR) to be what ever I want. (Actually the Sienna is not too bad - pretty close to Lexus comfort. But I'm not up to admitting that in public.)

Work this to your advantage and good luck.

I'm much too big (6'7", 245 lbs.) for my wife's RX. Neither headroom nor legroom is even close to being sufficient for me. I also find it significantly underpowered, but part of that may be due to my primary vehicle (5.9-litre V8 Dodge Ram that will literally fly). In our neck of the woods the RX is definitely a gal's vehicle. More than 90% of them are being driven by women.

I consider our RX300 our 'family' vehicle, but I drive it daily. I don't feel insecure about my manhood in it. I work with a guy who drives a silver one (and he is single..that is is only vehicle). Ours happens to be black....but I wouldn't mind driving a white one. But, I don't really believe that only men drive one type of vehicle and women another.....I drive what I like...and I love our RX.

I agree that mostly women drive them, in fact mostly women in general drive luxury cars here, don't know why but men are more likely to drive big high line SUVs. LS430s, S classes, 7 series all mostly driven by women. Doesn't bother me though, I drive what I like and so should you.

If it makes you feel better 90% of TLs are driven by women here too.

Well here is another guy who drives Lexus. In 1990 i had one of the first LS400's. I loved it so much i got the es300 in 1993. In 97 i sold the LS for the newer LS400. In 99 i sold the es300 because i got in an accident and couldn't stand looking at the bad body work. loved it though....To replace this one i got a 99 rx300. My wife (coming from a 95 bmw) got the 2003 gs430 in late 2002. She still has it today, and the best car she's ever owned. Then i got the 03 LS430 for my son last year and he doesn't feel like a girl, actually all the girls go for him B) ......After going through 3 accidents and having it stolen it's still in good condition. In 03 the rx300 had MAJOR transmission problems to i had to sell it. I had to get it fixed first before i could sell it (a $4400 job) and sold it for under 20k.....) then i got the 03 rx300 coach thinking it would be better. i was wrong; it is the most problemed car i have EVER owned. i'm selling it at the end of this year. Then in April of last year i got the new rx330, and the es330 for my daughter. I don't like it as much as the rx300 but it works. And for the es330, i think it's REALLY NICE!! The only thing i don't like about it is that i's silver...i hate silver....

I love lexus, and even with the minor problems i am looking foward to getting the new hybrid rx soon. My wife's GS is getting a little old; she's interested in the all new 2005 toyota avalon but i would rather her get the 2006 gs? an all new model? sounds good to me.....

so for you thinking lexus is for woamn only, think again....

when you see other people driving in old oldsmobiles look at what your driving and think of that..haha

thanks for responses... :)

I think I can live with it.

Its a strange situation, my wife wanted that car so I went to the dealer auction last Thursday and bought 2002 RX 4*4, fully loaded with NAVI, Xenon etc with 37K for 26800

Today she went to work and took our new lex. An hour later she called me and complained that she was not fealing well after driving it... too soft maybe ...:wacko:

Maybe it was just a bad day today but now she wants to take my black 02 TL-S and the funny thing is that she hated a black interior but now shes fine with it :blink:

So I have two options... try to sell the car that I just bought or live with it for a year or two... ( maybe I can put bigger wheels and some m.guard so it will look more like a boys car :D ) and I will still be able to drive my TL from time to time :cheers:

Tell me what do you think.

Thanks.

thanks for responses... :)

I think I can live with it.

Its a strange situation, my wife wanted that car so I went to the dealer auction last Thursday and bought 2002 RX 4*4, fully loaded with NAVI, Xenon etc with 37K for 26800

Today she went to work and took our new lex. An hour later she called me and complained that she was not fealing well after driving it... too soft maybe ...:wacko:

Maybe it was just a bad day today but now she wants to take my black 02 TL-S and the funny thing is that she hated a black interior but now shes fine with it  :blink:

So I have two options... try to sell the car that I just bought or live with it for a year or two... ( maybe I can put bigger wheels and some m.guard so it will look more like a boys car  :D ) and I will still be able to drive my TL from time to time :cheers:

Tell me what do you think.

Thanks.

I hope your wife is a model and otherwise treats you like a king because I would not accept that type of attitude. If my wife all of a sudden wanted my Corvette after I just bought her the RX400h, I'd say "No way, Jose!" I prefer a sporty vehicle, but will honor the second half's wishes if she likes more luxury. However, I'd draw the line if she wants my car just because she can't make up her mind. If I were you, I'd be tempted to give her your TL-S only if you could buy a new one for yourself.

IMO, that's perfectly fair.

I agree, why should you give up your car that you enjoy at her whim? If you don't care either way thats one thing but it seems like you do.

..... yes, you right I care ;)

I decided to give up my car but not for good :censored:

She will drive it for some time and for some time she will drive the Lex so I hope she will get use to it, if not :censored: I will sell the Lex and will buy something nice for myself, maybe a new TL :D ... will see.

To tell the truth I'd like the Lex to stay, we ski alot + I hope to do some biking this summer so SUV would benefit us alot

SO...since she wanted it make her drive it. Sheesh, one trip to work doesn't tell you anything, make her take some time to get used to it.

I've been involved with women who want to be coddled like that and trust me, you can't make a habit of it or it will continue into areas you won't even believe. Don't mean to preach because its not my place and none of my business, just personal experience.

A primary vehicle is too large an expense (don't fool yourself, it's NOT an investment) to decide on a whim that you don't care for it anymore after just a couple of hours behind the wheel. This is one reason why you should do your research first before ever stepping into a showroom or onto an auction lot. Know what you want, what options you prefer, and what you're willing to pay before you even think about spending your hard-earned dollars. And be disciplined enough to stick to the plan. That way, there are no surprises and you wind up with a vehicle that you both can live with for at least a few years.

Sit down and have a head-to-head discussion with the wife about any future car-buying plans. Do your homework and ensure that you wind up with what you need. Your checkbook and your depreciation schedule will both rest much easier if you consistently follow this plan anytime either one of you gets a notion for some new wheels. Good luck to you - you possess far more patience and restraint than I do. I probably would have left her on the curb a long time ago....

A girl at work wanted to replace her Mercedes sedan and wanted an SUV, so I brought in my Consumer Reports Auto issue that showed the RX 330 as the top pick. She was leaning toward the Mercedes ML 350, which has a terrible reliability and fuel milage rating. I warned he, but my advice fell on deaf ears. Two weeks after buying the ML 350, she told her husband that she was going to need a Honda Civic because she is spending $60 per week for gas and now needs a "commuter" vehicle! Unbelievable!

NEVER would i let my wife talk to me that way....if she doesn't like the car tell her to go and buy her own! wow you've got a spoiled wife :P ...just kidding.....look around for a good car that she likes. My wife loves the gs430 but hates my rx330. I don't get it, i hate the gs and love my rx330......every1 is different.

She is not really spoiled... :)

I decided to keep the car for now and see if she will get use to drive it

The funny thing is that she switched from 97Hyundai Tiburon with 100K on it.

I purchased Lex for her mainly for safaty purposes ( she drives 60 miles every day on a highway)

So we will see how everything will work out.

She will like the RX, I think she just need some time to adjust from the small, hard as a brick car to much bigger, soft SUV.... will see

If not I already have alot of ideas how to modify the car the way I like ;)

I drive a 2004 RX330 ... have been driving it for approx. 6 months now and I love it. My wife drives a BMW 330i and she loves the bimmer. OMG It should've been the other way around ... this is so messed up. :lol:

Seriously though .. who gives a damn 'bout stereotypes. In the bay area, mostly SUVs are driven by women anyways.

I haven't been hearing too many good things about the new TLs... so in case you decide to get a new ride, you may wanna consider the inifiniti g35 or the good ol' bimmer over the TL.

Wow, Philly RX, you are a nice husband! I am married, and I can tell you that my husband would be like, "Excoise me? We bought this car because you wanted it and now you want MY car?!" So I give you props for being patient with your wife.

As for the white RX330... who cares what other people may think? While it is true that most RX330s are driven by women, if you like the feel of the car... so what? Most of the people probably eye-ballin' ya probably can't even afford a Lexus. Elitist? Perhaps, but probably true. ;) So boo on them. So you just keep on keepin' on! :D

As an old guy( almost 57), I think I can say that there used to be "girl" cars and "manley" cars. All that has changed in the last ten years or so. Look around you in traffic. Most of the BMW and other sport sedan drivers are women. I do see more men driving Tahoes, but more women driving the longer wheelbase ones. Women have worked their way up to the nicer jobs and they are buying what they want. Are they sometimes crazy about their choices, YES. I don't buy a vehicle because I think I will look good in it. Most women I know do.

After driving mini vans, the RX300 was just what my wife wanted, and our family needed. That is still the case. I just ask her what color.