Driving In D Vs. 4th

sonewsy

Hi all,

Quick question: do you drive in fifth or fourth gear? :blink:

I ask because since I purchased my 2005 car last month, I have driven in D (to the right of 4) all the time. I have about 1,200 miles.

I don't have hesitation issues, is this why? Is there any reason to drive in 4? Will it improve gas milage?

Thanks much.

No you want to drive in D all the time. You CAN drive in 4 it just eliminates overdrive, this will lower your gas mileage.

You dont have hesitation issues because your driving style doesn't create them.

No you want to drive in D all the time. You CAN drive in 4 it just eliminates overdrive, this will lower your gas mileage.

You dont have hesitation issues because your driving style doesn't create them.

well if u are stayin bout or under 45 ur pose to use 3rd on my car i guess 4 th on yours. so the tranny wont continously jump back and forth between gears.

I have a 2002 ES300...I usually drive with (D) but i was wondering if i can just pull the shifter to (4) whenever I want,...even when the car is moving..or should i wait till the car is at a complete stop before shifting gears? Would it damage the transmission if i just put it into (D) to (4) when the car is moving ? Should there be a certain speed before switching into different gears (4), (3) or (2)?

well if u are stayin bout or under 45 ur pose to use 3rd on my car i guess 4 th on yours.  so the tranny wont continously jump back and forth between gears.

Thats actually not true. The transmission is designed to be driven in "D" at all times regardless of the speed unless towing or the need for engine braking exists. You can elect to drive in "3" or "4" if you like to keep the transmission from shifting into overdrive but its not neccisary and will lower your fuel economy as the engine runs harder on average.

Ming- Nope thats why those gears are there so you can gear down depending on the situation. For instance I have family in WV and driving there and back there are several steep 7% highway grades that go on for miles, when going down them I often switch down to 4 or even 3 to let the engine revs slow the car down to keep from warping the brake rotors by slowing the car with the brakes. All that means is the transmission won't shift past the gear number selected.

I wouldn't go shifting into 2 or L at 70MPH no, in fact I don't know if the car will even do that, my guess is it wont.

I wouldn't go shifting into 2 or L at 70MPH no, in fact I don't know if the car will even do that, my guess is it wont.

Correct! The transmission will NOT downshift. There is some sort of protective circuit that is activated depending on the engine RPM so it won't over rev.