Moohampshire

I recently bought a 93 ES300 for my daughter and love it some much that I am going to dump my pickup truck and want to buy an LS400. I am looking at a 90 LS 400 that has 127K miles on it. The current owner has all the services records. The body is in excellnat shape the interior is fair. Can anyone give me a reasonable idea of what kind of miles I should be able to get out of this vehicle with following the normal maintenance schedule.

A lot will depends on just how well it has been maintained and treated. I add "treated" because I have seen some cars that have been dealer maintained that has had the crap beat out of them. That aside, I have seen a few LS400 at 250K+ (and I hope to

get at least that much out of mine). My 1990 Volvo has over 300K

and I sort of take it for granted that the Lexus should equal or eclipse that.

I got my 90' LS 400 at 153K miles and it looks amazing concerning its age!

I am not concerned about the engine at this time.. however all the smaller things like the 'black faded A/C and TIME display' ... and the entire A/C (gotta get it replaced)...

Im sure it will last me well over 200K, judging from how it runs right now.

Since I bought a 90 LS400 one year ago I might be able to give you a few things to be on the lookout for. Mine had 120,OOO miles on it when I got it from the original owner. I'll list some of the weaknesses I have seen.

1. Clock and A/C LED displays go out all the time. Dealer cost is around 600 installed. My clock part doesn't light up but it is not dark as I've seen sevral other people mention.

2. The power steering pump and hose go bad about this milage. Normally you can just let them leak a little and add fluid BUT with this model when the pump or hose goes, all the fluid pours through the $750 alternator. Dealers charge about $1500, I got a Japanese Auto place to do it for around a grand.

3. Strut arm bushings go bad about each 100K, they're about $500+

4. My A/C compressor started locking up at 127,000 so I pulled the wire and now it just freewheels. I'm looking on car-parts.com for a replacement. Luckily, I have a 30lb. jug of R-12 around here.

Don't get me wrong, the Lexus is one sweet vehicle. One I started driving it I was sold. You just have to realize that EVERYTHING with an "L" on it is really expensive. For DIYers, even the parts are extremely expensive.

My advise is to spend the $75 and take the car to the Lexus dealer before you buy it. They are great people (which they better be for what they charge), they all smile (wouldn't you?) and they will give an excellent analysis of the cars needs and condition.

• 5 months later...

Howdy neighbor I'm a vermant meself he he.

and I still can't get there fron here...

You picked an awsome car. trust this site. there priceless..I've saved hundreds if not thousands just browsing along with these guys.

Plus.. if your a hands on type of guy, your gonna save even more money.

welcome, and have a ball owning a Lexus. :cheers: