traction control

rybikowsky

I just last week bought a 92 400ls.Wonderful car.I am having a problem I cant figure out.When I first start the car in the morning.Both the check engine lite and the traction control off,lite stay on.By the time I drive out to the end of the lane they go out not to return until the next morning and the first start of the day.

It sounds like a sensor or two might be going bad. I know, if one sensor in the engine goes bad, or has a loose connection, this might happen. Otherwise I really don't know.

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

I had a similar problem where the yellow TRAC indicator would illuminate solidly, and the traction control would quit working. I'd also get an intermittent red BRAKE light coming on. Turns out the culprit was low brake fluid.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 92 ls400 with same problem. happened at 80K, dealer replaced o2 sensor no prblem. Happened again at 140k, dealer replaced o2 sensor again but only worked for a day. Service mgr said carbon deposits break loose. Suggested injector cleaner so I tried Techron in a full tank. This worked for a day. Ill try it again but am concerned that it will be a reecurring problem.

• 1 month later...

Hi, my buddy and myself just changed the timing belt and tensioner pulley's on my LS400 1995. The care was working great but now since putting it back together the check engine light is on and the traction control light blinks. In addition the car as a ignition miss like a bad plug wire at 2000 rpm. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Brent

so when do i wait? :) i'm still not gettin it :)

as to the guy who got lights on after the timing belt change. do the diagnosis with the scanner, the socket to connect the scanner is located under the top engine cover, get the codes and see which sensor is giving you problem

When we put it back together, crank pulley/bolted in we checked the timing marks again and everything lined up perfectly, my buddy has done hundreds of timing belts and everything fell back into place. My friend said that there is a very high possibility we may have disturbed some loose particles with in the distributer/rotors/ or plug wires. I have never changed any of these things and the car has 135,000 miles.

Brent

• 4 weeks later...

Just fixed my LS400 this weekend, replaced the plug wires, plugs, cap and rotor, started the car and got that pesky miss fire and 2500 rpm. Went back down and worked on the timing belt by way of the timing belt tensioner and did check the timing allignment cams and crank shaft. Turns out the the miss did come from a miss alignment of the cam and crank shaft. We fixed the problem after 2.5 hours of work , the car now runs great again. No more engine light or traction control light blinking.

Thanks alot guys it was a timing miss.

Brent.

:cheers:

• 5 years later...

I recently bought an 1991 Ls400 a couple of days ago I got a my car washed with an under body flush then later that day I was pulling out of a driveway and might have gone off a little close tot the curb I heard a thump on the on the rear driver side bumper possibly the muffler about an hour later the TRAC light came on. I tuned the car off and turned it back on a couple of minutes later this time the light was off then about 10 to 15 minutes later the light came back on and it's been doing that every time I turn the car on and off. Any suggestions?

Hi,

Do a diagnostic check on the TRAC system following the proceedure given in the link below, if you clipped a kerb you may have damaged the ABS wheel sensor or its wiring or dislodged a piece of rust from the reluctor teeth.

Also if you had an underbody wash there may be water in the connectors to the ABS sensors causing problems or the water pressure may have damaged the connections or sensor.

Pull the codes to assist you in locating the problem

http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/intro/codereading.html