Installed The Vaistech Aic-100x Today

cab2u

I received the Vaistech AIC-100X and installed it today. Since I bought my GX a year ago, I have been waiting for this. I had the Terk Commander with FM modulator (which totally sucked). You could use that (w/o the display or FM modulator) if you have it already or you could just buy the XM direct (I think that is what it is called)

Well, it totally works. It emulates as an MD changer. You switch to it using the Disk button by pressing it a couple of extra times. Mine is one of the first units and there were some problems, none of them worth explaining. The install is easy if you are handy. It did intergrate extremely well but there are some things that need to be changed. The guys at Vaistech are awesome. I called them today (Saturday) and had several conversations with Eugene and one of the Techs. They will be fixing the problems. When you talk to them, all they want to do is help. They also appreciated my input which was nice.

I will take some pictures tomorrow and post them so you can see what the screen looks like. Also, there is an extra set of RCA inputs that can be used for anything you may want to add. If you have any questions, post it here or email me at emailcab@yahoo.com

I received the Vaistech AIC-100X and installed it today. Since I bought my GX a year ago, I have been waiting for this. I had the Terk Commander with FM modulator (which totally sucked). You could use that (w/o the display or FM modulator) if you have it already or you could just buy the XM direct (I think that is what it is called)

Well, it totally works. It emulates as an MD changer. You switch to it using the Disk button by pressing it a couple of extra times. Mine is one of the first units and there were some problems, none of them worth explaining. The install is easy if you are handy. It did intergrate extremely well but there are some things that need to be changed. The guys at Vaistech are awesome. I called them today (Saturday) and had several conversations with Eugene and one of the Techs. They will be fixing the problems. When you talk to them, all they want to do is help. They also appreciated my input which was nice.

I will take some pictures tomorrow and post them so you can see what the screen looks like. Also, there is an extra set of RCA inputs that can be used for anything you may want to add. If you have any questions, post it here or email me at emailcab@yahoo.com

Sorry for the previous post, duh. Could you explain in more detail the problems encounterd with the Vaistech? Thinking of making a purchase and would be interested in your opinion. Thanks.

Will post the pictures soon. Battery in my camera died just as I was about to take the pictures.

The problems aren't really problems. More of a programming thing. For example, the radio recognizes XM as disk #1. I was then not able to use the #1 for direct entry. After talking to Vaistech tech person, he understood and is now going to set it to be disk 12. (you don't need #12 for direct entry) That is the perfect solution. Also, when I lost XM signal in a parking garage, there was a problem which they are correcting. Otherwise, it really is exactly what you need for XM. I used it today all day and am extremely happy with it.

For anyone using an FM modulator or even considering comparing them, don't bother. They are not even in the same ballpark.

I'm glad to hear these are starting to become available. I'm on the waiting list for the iPod verison from Vais Tech.

You said that the AIC-100x emulates the MD device in your car. Does that mean that station names and song titles are displayed on the screen of your radio head unit?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I have a new Gx with nav and no rear DVD. If I install the new Vaistech with xm can i see the xm channels also on the screen? I don't think I have a minidisc mode on the nav (under the disc button) like others have shown on older cars? In the future I want to add a DVD in the headrests, ect. Thanks You can also email me at jsolodds@sbcglobal.net.

Thanks

The Vaistech unit is what allows you to see the MD function. It is in the software but not seen unless you have a device that access it like the Vaistech. If you were to unplug the CD changer, you would no longer see CD. The Vaistech unit fools the unit into thinking it has a MD plugged in to it.

You will see exactly what everyone else sees on the nav display, channels, names, etc...

• 2 weeks later...
The Vaistech unit is what allows you to see the MD function. It is in the software but not seen unless you have a device that access it like the Vaistech. If you were to unplug the CD changer, you would no longer see CD. The Vaistech unit fools the unit into thinking it has a MD plugged in to it.

You will see exactly what everyone else sees on the nav display, channels, names, etc...

I had my Vaistech installed this week. It really works well. The only problem is that the controls are a little confusing. I may need to adjust the setup. Mine shows Disk 80 and when I punch in the XM channel, I need to hit the "10" track for the "0". Does anyone have experiece with this?

• 2 weeks later...

Where did you place the antenna?

Where did you place the antenna?

I had the antenna installed right above the rear door in the center. Can hardly notice it.

• 3 months later...

I had my Vaistech installed this week. It really works well. The only problem is that the controls are a little confusing. I may need to adjust the setup. Mine shows Disk 80 and when I punch in the XM channel, I need to hit the "10" track for the "0". Does anyone have experiece with this?

I just installed a Vaistech AIC-100i iPod interface (www.vaistech.com) for the factory installed head unit. It works fine for the most part. The unit was about $360 and plugs right into iPod's docking connector where it also charges the unit.

Just encountered a problem with their software, where when you turn on the ignition, the key sequence goes to ACC, then ignition, then back to ACC with the engine on. During this process, the stereo unit gets turnd ON-OFF-ON (normal.) The Vaistech's AIC-100i for some reason gets "lost" sometimes and doesn't show as a MD1 changer unit. I actually have to turn the engine OFF and back on again to see it.

They told me that they have fixed it and I need to send the unit back so they can upgrade it and send it back to me. I'm not sure if I'm up for that. I did ask them to send me a fixed unit and I'll send the old one back to them. I don't think they'll listen.

• 4 weeks later...

I've got the AIC-100x on order for installation in a 2004 GX470 that has the radio controls integrated into the NAV screen. I have a 6-disc CD changer that does not support text. When playing a CD, all I get is the CD number, the track number and a time readout of how long the current song has been playing.

In an earlier post, someone said that the AIC-100x will be seen as an MD changer but I can't determine if I'll get a read out of the song and artist information when in the XM radio mode. Has anyone done this installation who can give me some guidance on this?

Thanks.

jslr.2