Hi all. My 98 GS300 is excellent. Today at the car wash I noticed some rust bubbling on the leading edge of my roofline where it meets the windshield. My heart sunk :cries: . The bubbling means that there is some moisture trapped beneath the roofline. How did it get there, and once I get the repair done, how do I prevent it in the future? I had a similar problem with a SAAB and it really messed up the sunroof too. (is it me???). Now what?

Any input or information would be appreciated.

Hi all.  My 98 GS300 is excellent.  Today at the car wash I noticed some rust bubbling on the leading edge of my roofline where it meets the windshield.  My heart sunk :cries: .  The bubbling means that there is some moisture trapped beneath the roofline.  How did it get there, and once I get the repair done, how do I prevent it in the future?  I had a similar problem with a SAAB and it really messed up the sunroof too.  (is it me???).  Now what?

a 98 should have a liftime warranty (or at least a good length one, 10 years or so) against corrosion...take it to your dealer...

Hi all.  My 98 GS300 is excellent.  Today at the car wash I noticed some rust bubbling on the leading edge of my roofline where it meets the windshield.  My heart sunk :cries: .  The bubbling means that there is some moisture trapped beneath the roofline.  How did it get there, and once I get the repair done, how do I prevent it in the future?  I had a similar problem with a SAAB and it really messed up the sunroof too.  (is it me???).  Now what?

a 98 should have a liftime warranty (or at least a good length one, 10 years or so) against corrosion...take it to your dealer...

looking in my warranty book, it lists corrosion/perforation as six years, unlimited mileage. Original purchase date was May 1998, so the six years expired in May 2004. Do you think I have a case? Any other help or info?

Thanx

Hi all.  My 98 GS300 is excellent.  Today at the car wash I noticed some rust bubbling on the leading edge of my roofline where it meets the windshield.  My heart sunk :cries: .  The bubbling means that there is some moisture trapped beneath the roofline.  How did it get there, and once I get the repair done, how do I prevent it in the future?  I had a similar problem with a SAAB and it really messed up the sunroof too.  (is it me???).  Now what?

looking in my warranty book, it lists corrosion/perforation as six years, unlimited mileage. Original purchase date was May 1998, so the six years expired in May 2004. Do you think I have a case? Any other help or info?

Thanx

No, if the warranty clearly states 5 years then you're screwed, unless you can prove it started within the 5 years. Have you got any quotes on repair? <_<

More info.

Talked to Lexus corporate. They told me to contact the original dealer. The original dealer said that they replaced the windshield at 25,000 miles. I reported that back to Lexus and now I am waiting to hear form some tech guy. My local dealer says that whoever replaced my windshield used something like a screwdriver to wedge the windshield in or out or both. That caused the breakdown of the roofline which lead to the rust. Does anybody think that it could take 50,000 miles for the rust to break through? 5 years? That's the only explanation I can think of, but it seems like a long time to develop.

Any ideas?

I have no rust anywhere else on the car (okay, a couple of tiny nicks), so rust along most of the roofline is abnormal. If it was normal there would be other postings about it.

I took it to one place recommended by Woodfield Lexus (Illinois). They quoted $2000 to replace the roof, and $900 to fix the rusted portion. However, they would not offer ANY warranty on their work... not any!

I then took it to a place called Neat Street that works on luxury/exotic cars. They will repair and warranty the work for life for $680. However, the guy warned me that they need to remove the windshield and there is a small possibility of breaking it when they remove it. He says that they have no idea how much adhesive was used or how easily it will come out. He thinks they'll be fine, but needed to warn me. An aftermarket windshield (not Toyota) is about $500 - $600. A Lexus (Toyota) windshield will be about $800 alone.

This sounds more like a solution.

Any thoughts???

Thanks!

I have no rust anywhere else on the car (okay, a couple of tiny nicks), so rust along most of the roofline is abnormal. If it was normal there would be other postings about it.

I took it to one place recommended by Woodfield Lexus (Illinois). They quoted $2000 to replace the roof, and $900 to fix the rusted portion. However, they would not offer ANY warranty on their work... not any!

I then took it to a place called Neat Street that works on luxury/exotic cars. They will repair and warranty the work for life for $680. However, the guy warned me that they need to remove the windshield and there is a small possibility of breaking it when they remove it. He says that they have no idea how much adhesive was used or how easily it will come out. He thinks they'll be fine, but needed to warn me. An aftermarket windshield (not Toyota) is about $500 - $600. A Lexus (Toyota) windshield will be about $800 alone.

This sounds more like a solution.

Any thoughts???

Not many people would think it is normal wear and tear it also matters if they post a picture