1997 ES

Sheree

[1997 ES 300 108k miles, original owner, all Lexus maintenance and repairs done timely.

Question: Replaced Valve cover gasket at 90k, which later found out probably was not necessary. At 108k, car is blowing white smoke for a few minutes upon cold start up in morning with an engine "clicking" noise along with constant fast left blinker light . Loving father says it is the valves; what gives? Also, need new backlights for the radio/cd changer panel. I know it needs struts but the main question is, how much more should I expect out of this car. I love it but really don't want to start throwing good money after bad, especially when I can afford to purchase a new car. I would love to keep the car a few more years but is it worth it? Car only gets city driving (soccer/baseball mom etc.). Is it time for a new addition to the family? Thanks, Sheree :unsure:

[1997 ES 300 108k miles, original owner, all Lexus maintenance and repairs done timely.

Question:  Replaced Valve cover gasket at 90k, which later found out probably was not necessary.  At 108k, car is blowing white smoke for a few minutes upon cold start up in morning with an engine "clicking" noise along with constant fast left blinker light .  Loving father says it is the valves; what gives?  Also, need new backlights for the radio/cd changer panel.  I know it needs struts but the main question is, how much more should I expect out of this car.  I love it but really don't want to start throwing good money after bad, especially when I can afford to purchase a new car.  I would love to keep the car a few more years but is it worth it?  Car only gets city driving (soccer/baseball mom etc.).  Is it time for a new addition to the family?  Thanks, Sheree :unsure:

white smoke upon start up is normal! fast blinker, u have a bulb that is blown. th clickin may be the timing belt.

Question:  Replaced Valve cover gasket at 90k, which later found out probably was not necessary.  At 108k, car is blowing white smoke for a few minutes upon cold start up in morning with an engine "clicking" noise along with constant fast left blinker light .  Loving father says it is the valves; what gives?  Also, need new backlights for the radio/cd changer panel.  I know it needs struts but the main question is, how much more should I expect out of this car.  I love it but really don't want to start throwing good money after bad, especially when I can afford to purchase a new car.  I would love to keep the car a few more years but is it worth it?  Car only gets city driving (soccer/baseball mom etc.).  Is it time for a new addition to the family?  Thanks, Sheree :unsure:

i dont know about the white smoke being normal. that never has happened to me. The clicking thing is not your timing belt. Those are either your Fuel Injectors or your Valves. If your fuel economy is ok i wouldnt really worry about that. Struts are a normal maintanance item for that many miles. If your maintanance was done according to procedure, your car should last u much longer than few years.

Going with that white smoke issue... are you sure you did you oil changes every 3-5 k?

i dont know about the white smoke being normal. that never has happened to me. The clicking thing is not your timing belt. Those are either your Fuel Injectors or your Valves. If your fuel economy is ok i wouldnt really worry about that. Struts are a normal maintanance item for that many miles. If your maintanance was done according to procedure, your car should last u much longer than few years.

Going with that white smoke issue... are you sure you did you oil changes every 3-5 k?

outside temp is 12 deg. right now. car has set for 2 days , so everthing is frozen, u start it u get a white cloud from the exhaust. this is because hot gases leaving the motor come in contact with a cold exhaust pipe. what happens when hot meets cold? a foggy looking cloud, that is pushed out of the pipe at the rear of the car. this will continue until the pipe is warmed. now if it was a bluish cloud i would of said tht it was maybe bad valve seats. but it it was a continus blueish cloud rings. but he said white and only at start up which is normal for cold weather starts.

outside temp is 12 deg. right now. car has set for 2 days , so everthing is frozen, u start it u get a white cloud from the exhaust. this is because hot gases leaving the motor come in contact with a cold exhaust pipe. what happens when hot meets cold? a foggy looking cloud, that is pushed out of the pipe at the rear of the car. this will continue until the pipe is warmed. now if it was a bluish cloud i would of said tht it was maybe bad valve seats. but it it was a continus blueish cloud rings. but he said white and only at start up which is normal for cold weather starts.

Yup. I agree.

Sheree, your car will last you a very long time (these vehicles have been known to go up 300k if not more miles) if you continue to keep up with the scheduled maintenance. If you prefer, you can easily sell your vehicle and use it towards a down payment towards another Lexus or manufacturer.

Since your vehicle has 108k, have you done the timing belt and checked/replaced your PCV valve? The clicking sound you descibed, can you hear it from inside the car or when the hood is opened? Is it loud too?