2001 Rx300 - Windows & Sunroof Open

larryfis

I always lock my car with the windows up and rarely even use the sunoof. On two occasions in the past four months I walked up to my car and was shocked to see all the windows were down and the sunfoof was wide open. I have a standard remote key opener that only unlocks the doors (as far as I know). I know it's possible to trip the remote accidentally, but I couldn't simulate a scenario where I could get the remote to repeat this action. Anyone have any ideas?"

I  always lock my car with the windows up and rarely even use the sunoof. On two occasions in the past four months I walked up to my car and was shocked to see all the windows were down and the sunfoof was wide open. I have a standard remote key opener that only unlocks the doors (as far as I know). I know it's possible to trip the remote accidentally, but I couldn't simulate a scenario where I could get the remote to repeat this action.  Anyone have any ideas?"

Mine is programmed to open all windows & sunroof if the transmitter is pressed twice & then on the third time press & hold the transmitter- all the windows & sunroof will open.

I  always lock my car with the windows up and rarely even use the sunoof. On two occasions in the past four months I walked up to my car and was shocked to see all the windows were down and the sunfoof was wide open. I have a standard remote key opener that only unlocks the doors (as far as I know). I know it's possible to trip the remote accidentally, but I couldn't simulate a scenario where I could get the remote to repeat this action.  Anyone have any ideas?"

On my 05 RX my key is programmed to open all windows and "tilt" the moon roof by pressing the UNLOCK button on the remote key for 2.5 seconds.

If you were in close proximity to your car, could the key unlock button have been held down in some manner for this period of time, while in your pocket accidentally?

Just a thought.

:unsure:

I had exactly the same problem with my 2001 Rx300.

I would arrive home from work, lock the RX, put the keys in my pocket and go into the house. After dinner I would sit down on the couch, with the keys in my pocket. As I sat down, the unlock button would somehow get pressed and held while inside my pocket. When the unlock button is pressed and held, in additon to unlocking the doors it will roll down the windows and open the sunroof.

Now this can become a problem if your RX is parked outside and it starts to rain, to say nothing car theft or vandalism (with the windows all the way down). :censored: I complained to Lexus :chairshot: and ended up having this funtion disabled on the computer. Lexus needs to add on on/off slide switch to the electronic key so that you can disable all of this if you want to.

Hey, this forum really works. Thanks to all. I just tried your suggestions about holding down the Unlock on the remote for a few seconds, and sure enough, the windows and sunroof all opened. I just bought the car this summer and didn't realize the remote acted like that. It seems like a good feature but can get you in trouble if you're not careful.

Yep, all Lexus do that.

Now, this is weird. Only SOME models will close all the windows if you hold the key in the lock position on the drivers door. Why they all don't do that I don't know.

SK, Nope you have to put the key in the door lock for them to go up!! A safety feature Im sure....

My Dads 99 RX300 has this feature! I told him about mine, so he went out and held his unlock button and all his windows and sunroof opened

WOW! it works on my rx's too. I hold down the unlock button and they go down..maybe this feature is used to if on a hot day we can roll down the windows and moonroof to cool it down w/o having to open the doors and turn the key to use the buttons on the door to open them...cool