Amsoil In A 2002 Gs430 Transmission -anyone Tried?

hey guys, I got my dad the car. Question, has anyone done a full/power flush of the transmission in a 2001-2003 (5 spd automatic) GS430 (torque converter and all) and used just amsoil ATF in it after?

I dont need to be flammed about using only toyota fluids,etc.

does it work ok and shift better or have you had problems? I got a 2002 GS430 here with 38,000km!

how about in the power steering, anyone using just amsoil in there? any issues? runs better or?

any synth gear oil will work in the differential right?

I am going to use mobil1 5w30 in the engine for now (maybe a blend of 0w30 and 5w30 until the weather warms up)

As I told you earlier, I used amsoil in the transmission when I did just a pan change. I then took it and had it powerflushed with Toyota fluid. So that's what I'm running now. I used amsoil exclusively in the diff and for power steering. Can't say I notice any difference. The biggest difference would be just from changing the fluids. I would stick with the amsoil for the diff and the power steering, because you'll probably only change them once. I'd stick with the toyota fluid for the transmission, as you'll waste alot of amsoil flushing it. I seriously doubt you'd notice a difference, if you do it's in your mind. <_< if you do the AMSOIL you'll need about 10 quarts, I believe B)

hey guys, I got my dad the car. Question, has anyone done a full/power flush of the transmission in a 2001-2003 (5 spd automatic) GS430 (torque converter and all) and used just amsoil ATF in it after?

I dont need to be flammed about using only toyota fluids,etc.

does it work ok and shift better or have you had problems? I got a 2002 GS430 here with 38,000km!

how about in the power steering, anyone using just amsoil in there? any issues? runs better or?

any synth gear oil will work in the differential right?

I am going to use mobil1 5w30 in the engine for now (maybe a blend of 0w30 and 5w30 until the weather warms up)

At that amount of kilometers, it's not necessary to do a complete 100% ATF change. Just do a drain & fill. I'll be using the ATF for the power steering system as well in the spring.

Continue using the recommended viscosity grade (5w 30) as 0W30 is over kill for the Toronto area even though it's like -25 out! :blink: The Amsoil 5W 30 pours at -60 degrees! B)

:cheers:

Continue using the recommended viscosity grade (5w 30) as 0W30 is over kill for the Toronto area even though it's like -25 out!  :blink:  The Amsoil 5W 30 pours at -60 degrees!  B)

Keep in mind the the pour temp IS NOT the engine pumping temp for fluids. Take about 20 degress off for the true temp.

Continue using the recommended viscosity grade (5w 30) as 0W30 is over kill for the Toronto area even though it's like -25 out!   :blink:   The Amsoil 5W 30 pours at -60 degrees!   B)

Keep in mind the the pour temp IS NOT the engine pumping temp for fluids. Take about 20 degress off for the true temp.

Even at -40 - -45 is more than enough......I have never seen the Toronto area that cold ever in over 28 years I've lived here. ;)

I used to use 0w40 mobil1 delvac in my old TDI's engine and redline MTL in the transmission, it made a hell of a difference, especially on cold starts.

Exactly how much amsoil will I need to completely redo the power steering? the differential takes 1L of gear oil right?

the transmission and torque converter together take 10 quarts?or?!? exactly how much in each?

I used to use 0w40 mobil1 delvac in my old TDI's engine and redline MTL in the transmission, it made a hell of a difference, especially on cold starts.

Exactly how much amsoil will I need to completely redo the power steering? the differential takes 1L of gear oil right?

the transmission and torque converter together take 10 quarts?or?!? exactly how much in each?

I would call a couple Lexus dealers & ask about the 'total' capacity if the GS transmission......a lot of the dealers will just give you the 'drain & fill' capacity. Also check your owners manual....it should give your the capacity for the power steering fluid. If your GS calls for 5W30, I don't think you should use 0W40.....the 40 grade I think is slightly too thick of viscosity & I believe you loose the benefit of the 'energy conserving' part of the engine oil that the 5W 30 has.....so you will get a little worse gas mileage.

My ES needed about 16 litres to do a complete 100% tranny fluid flush. About 3 - 4 litres or so were needed for the actualy 'flushing' of the old fluid & the rest was for the tranny & torque converter. B) & your right, what a difference afterwards.

dry fill for the GS300 is 8.2l (8.7 US qts) drain 2.0l (2.1 US qts) - Toyota T-IV

dry fill for the GS430 is 8.9l (9.4 US qts) drain 1.8l (1.9 US qts) - Toyota T-IV

Power steering fluid Total 1.0l (1.1 US qts) - ATF DEXRON® II or III

Differential oil 1.35l (1.43 US qts) - Hypoid gear oil API GL–5

Above –18°C (0°F) SAE 90

Below –18°C (0°F) SAE 80W–90 or 80W

dry fill for the GS300 is 8.2l (8.7 US qts) drain 2.0l (2.1 US qts) - Toyota T-IV

dry fill for the GS430 is 8.9l (9.4 US qts) drain 1.8l (1.9 US qts) - Toyota T-IV

Above –18°C (0°F) SAE 90

If you use a synthetic gear fluid, you can use most any fluid needed. Example, the pour point of 80w-90, 80, 90 or 75w-90 (all synthetics) are very very close. Plus I would stick with a multi grade for better adds.

Above –18°C (0°F) SAE 90

If you use a synthetic gear fluid, you can use most any fluid needed. Example, the pour point of 80w-90, 80, 90 or 75w-90 (all synthetics) are very very close. Plus I would stick with a multi grade for better adds.

Agreed mburn! B) ;)

For the Record, JPI reccomends you NEVER flush ANY Lexus Transmission or Transaxle.  Only drain and fills.

Why is that specifically? I've done a 100% fluid flush almost a year ago now & used Toyota Type IV fluid........cleaned the pan, filter mesh screen & replaced the gasket......the tranny shifts smoother now than it ever has when I purchased the car. :whistles: B) If the service is done professionally, what's the problem? :unsure:

For the Record, JPI reccomends you NEVER flush ANY Lexus Transmission or Transaxle.  Only drain and fills.

Why is that specifically? I've done a 100% fluid flush almost a year ago now & used Toyota Type IV fluid........cleaned the pan, filter mesh screen & replaced the gasket......the tranny shifts smoother now than it ever has when I purchased the car. :whistles: B) If the service is done professionally, what's the problem? :unsure:

Army, or JPI, any details & specifics on this? :blink: :whistles:

I got all the fluids changed (other then the oil which I did myself)

That includes coolent, powersteering, brakefluid, and transmission/torque converter with filter and gasget change.

it cost me about $400 cdn including the Amsoil. I reset the computer by disc the battery, the car is running perfect now. Super smooth shifts and all.

You do not need the Toyota Type-T fluid, Amsoil works in there no problems, and works better then the Type-T fluid.

You do not need the Toyota Type-T fluid, Amsoil works in there no problems, and works better then the Type-T fluid.

This is what is known as anecdotal evidence. It is the experience of an individual, and is not statistically based, or based on extensive independent testing.

Unlike engine oils, automatic transmission oils have distinct properties which control the clutch, and if present, band, lock-up characteristics, especially near the slip-stick point as the relative motion approaches zero at the end of the shift. For this reason I stay with the factory recommended fluid in the absence of data which is supported through testing. I am not saying Amsoil is bad fluid, only that anecdotal evidence, or proprietary evidence, is not good enough for me. To claim that Amsoil is better than the fluid developed for these transmissions by the manufacturer of that transmission borders on presumption.

This is what is known as anecdotal evidence. It is the experience of an individual, and is not statistically based, or based on extensive independent testing.

Unlike engine oils, automatic transmission oils have distinct properties which control the clutch, and if present, band, lock-up characteristics, especially near the slip-stick point as the relative motion approaches zero at the end of the shift. For this reason I stay with the factory recommended fluid in the absence of data which is supported through testing. I am not saying Amsoil is bad fluid, only that anecdotal evidence, or proprietary evidence, is not good enough for me. To claim that Amsoil is better than the fluid developed for these transmissions by the manufacturer of that transmission borders on presumption.

The thing that I question on what you state is that, no fluid is developed for transmissions (most times). They select a fluid and design around that fluid. The fluid is the boundary conditions and they design around it. You do not design a tranny or anything and then make the fluid. If you did this you are a poor engineer or are designing into a corner. Is Amsoil the best fluid for a tranny, could be could not be; but it is better then most.

Is what amosil states worth anything? Not really, but the endless users and there results do not lie.

Is it based on unscientific views, could be; but it is real world empirical data & it is based on users. Is it good enough for me in my ES, sure is. I do not need a piece of paper to feel good. If the fluid, any, states it passes the proper spec it does. Remember the API spec’s only mean that is pass the min requirements. …..

If buying factory fluid is what makes you feel good inside then buy it. The kicker is the fluid is nothing special. Most times it is just normal fluid with a Lexus/Toyota bottle. Lexus does not make oils, then sell them.

The thing that I question on what you state is that, no fluid is developed for transmissions (most times). They select a fluid and design around that fluid. The fluid is the boundary conditions and they design around it. You do not design a tranny or anything and then make the fluid. If you did this you are a poor engineer or are designing into a corner. Is Amsoil the best fluid for a tranny, could be could not be; but it is better then most.

Is what amosil states worth anything? Not really, but the endless users and there results do not lie.

Is it based on unscientific views, could be; but it is real world empirical data & it is based on users. Is it good enough for me in my ES, sure is. I do not need a piece of paper to feel good. If the fluid, any, states it passes the proper spec it does. Remember the API spec’s only mean that is pass the min requirements. …..

If buying factory fluid is what makes you feel good inside then buy it. The kicker is the fluid is nothing special. Most times it is just normal fluid with a Lexus/Toyota bottle. Lexus does not make oils, then sell them.

Well said mburn B) I was hoping that Army or JPI would weigh in on this as I have asked them to be more specific about the claim of first never doing a 100% fluid change & to ONLY use Toyota type IV fluid......as you can see, no answer back yet. :whistles:

Messer, you will be just fine with the Amsoil synthetic ATF you have put in your car. Amsoil wouldn't state it's compatible with & meets Toyota type IV requirements if it didn't & get their butt's sued off! I have yet to see ANY Amsoil user of oil OR ATF complain of their performance & more, ever state their fluids ever have done any damage to their components they used them in. I'm looking forward to the switch myself in both my engine & tranny with Amsoil products! Best of luck!! B) ;)