Programming Keys

catdaddy

I recently purchased a 2001 RX 300. When I purchased it came with three keys. The valet key and two keys that had the keyless remote buttons removed. I ordered the "guts" for the keys on ebay. I have installed the new guts and I have successfully programed the keyless remotes for both keys. The problem I have is that neither key will start the car. The local dealership told me I needed a new ECU. I find this hard to believe since the keys perform every function accept to start the car. The only key that will crank the car is the valet key. I have tried unsuccessfully to program the keys to start the car according to a post on this forum. Does anyone have any suggestions? Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Is there a way to tell if I have the master key?

How many of your "master" keys can start the car? I think that if the key can start the vehicle - it has the correct chip on it that is recognized by your ECU. Are you saying that the only key that can start the car is your valet key?

Is there a way to tell if I have the master key?

How many of your "master" keys can start the car? I think that if the key can start the vehicle - it has the correct chip on it that is recognized by your ECU. Are you saying that the only key that can start the car is your valet key?

That is correct! The only key that will start the car is the valet key. The other two keys will do everthing: Open car doors and hatch, lock and unlock glove compartment also will roll down all windows and open the sunroof when key is put in the drivers door and held into position. The only thing the will not do is crank the car! It will only turnover but not start.

I have a 2002 RX with 4 keys, two 'real' keys, a 'valet' key and a 'credit card' key. The latter is a essentially a plain metal key that fits into the middle of the 'credit card' and simply fits in your wallet.

Here's the trick, the metal key won't actually start the car until you hold the 'credit card' near the key barrel. There's a passive chip that's required to complete the 'transaction'. Hope this might offer some insight.

• 2 weeks later...

The two keys that won't start the car have not had their code added to the control unit. All you need to do is execute the correct sequence of events required by the ECU to tell it to accept the code from each of the keys. If you have 1 key that will start the car, whether it is a master, a valet, or a flat key, the key that will start the car can be used to program the car to accept a new key.

Any good locksmith can tell you what the magic sequence of events is required to tell the ECU that a key is good.