Check Engine/trac Control Lights Are On

So I did some searching on this forum and found a few answers. One being possibly the mass air flow sensor. What I am wondering is if anyone who has had this exact problem happen to them and they replaced the mass air flow sensor if that cured the problem. I am very handy when working on vehicles electrical systems so if anyone has any things to check or look for it would be greatly appreciated.

Also how do I check for what code I am getting?

Thanks in advance,

Josh

Try to clean the TPS and MAFS. I did that for my car when I have the same problem as yours and it work. Becareful cleaning these Sensors, use a really clean and soft cloth. Also use good solvent. Good luck

Try to clean the TPS and MAFS. I did that for my car when I have the same problem as yours and it work. Becareful cleaning these Sensors, use a really clean and soft cloth. Also use good solvent. Good luck

Im having same problem, but what is the TPS and MAFS. This happens occasionly when i put it all the way to the floor and subsequent of that the trac light and check engine light comes on. Then it will go off after about a week. Also my trac light up top and brake light are constantly on, any suggestions.....brake sensors?

The TPS is the Throttle Position Sensor and is attached to the side of the throttle body. Before anyone asks, the throttle body is easy to see if you pull off the plastic going to your engine. Itll be a circle or oval with a metal flap that moves depending on the gas pedal. The TPS may just be out of tolerance and giving the engine computer a reading other than what it should be when you go full throttle. The MAFS(Mass Air Flow Sensor) is actually a very accurate piece of equipment and shouldnt be messed with much. "Cleaning" is a very delicate process also since some cleaning chemicals will take away more than dirt. Anyways, the purpose of the MAF is to measure how much air is coming into the engine. This measurement along with your TPS measurement and RPM will be sent to the engine computer to determine how much fuel and spark to use. The MAF is a small metallic box located just behind the air filter. At least thats where i think it is. I have MAP so i dont know

i had the trac control light on and the check engine light as well. went and got BG fuel induction system flush and trans flush with filter change (was about 196 for both) and the lights went away for good. the code i was kicking was a 25 which meant it was lean. hope this helps you some, email if you have any more questions.

i had the trac control light on and the check engine light as well. went and got BG fuel induction system flush and trans flush with filter change (was about 196 for both) and the lights went away for good. the code i was kicking was a 25 which meant it was lean. hope this helps you some, email if you have any more questions.

Its going to the dealer tomorrow to figure out what code its throwing and from there I will make my decision to just have them fix it or to do it myself. I will probably opt for them to fix it because its cold here in Michigan and I need my traction control to work.

Thanks for everyones input.

• 1 month later...

What did the dealer say about your Check Engine and Trac lights being on???

teelias@hotmail.com

Its going to the dealer tomorrow to figure out what code its throwing and from there I will make my decision to just have them fix it or to do it myself. I will probably opt for them to fix it because its cold here in Michigan and I need my traction control to work.

Thanks for everyones input.

:angry: Fortunately, I have a 92 and a 93 SC400. Swapped out the Mass Air Flow Sensor to no avail. Light still on. I am going to change out the O2 sensors. I am getting a code 25. Will let you know. The only problem is that I lose traction control when these lights come on and in South Dakota, that is not a good thing.

Hey...I have had the same problem for awhile now...thanx for the info...ill look into checking the sensors and what not...

Also...the guy that took his lex to the dealer...what did they say and what was the estimate?

• 10 months later...

I had the exact same problem. the dealer says its two 02 sensors and the TPS -- plus there's carbon build up on the throttle body/tps area that needs to be removed. it'll be $1,000.

Before they checked it out [for free] they checked to see that the gas cap was on securely. Supposedly that will give a false reading.

I'll get it fixed when I round up the money -- in a week or two.

• 7 months later...

I had the exact same problem with tration control light coming on periodically. I also felt a vibration in the transmission at around 60 mph. Had the oil flushed in transmission and everything came back to normal (been 1 1/2 year now). $100 can

• 4 weeks later...

Hello guys, I guess I'm "joining the club" with the TRAC and ENGINE LIGHT issue. Perhaps some of you can help troubleshoot my problem. The light just went on today - but it occured after I did a rather immature (but devilishly enjoyable!) brake torque with a beauty of fishtale. 1 minute later my lights came on due to some side effect of doing the burnout. Also, my tires are due for changing (which is why I've spun them for fun today) and I was curious if new tires on the front and very worn tires on the back could cause an inaccuracy in the wheel rpms from front to back and if this signals the TRAC and ENGINE LIGHT to come on..

thanks for the help,

• 2 months later...

I also have this problem..

My check engine/trac control light turns on when i first start the car, but only for a little while.... while I'm driving it won't turn off, but after i stop at a stop light (maybe after 5-10 min of drive) and start up again, the lights turn off.

Any suggestions on the best way to solve this problem?

• 4 months later...

I noticed the last two posters posted about this problem, but did not post back that they had found a solution and what it was. So what was the verdict?

We have a 00 ES300 and had the TO/CEL lights come on this evening (MON). First place I hit is here, because this forum is GREAT! Going to have my husband check the oxygen sensor first.

ETA: He hasn't had time to look, but I took the car to AutoZone (WED) and they ran the CEL test for me, free, which is pretty awesome I just have to say. We got (3) codes:

(2) P0171 system to lean (ie: oxygen sensor)

P0330 KNOC sensor (which I *think* is the air/fuel sensor?)

• 5 weeks later...

I'm not so certain that the trans flush is the answer for this problem. I just got my car returned to me after having the rear main seal replaced and the front trans seal replaced. In due course the trans fluid and filter were changed. Last night the check engine light and the TRAC light came on. I'm certain that the mechanic probably got his right foot into the throttle, to check the seal under pressure, before I picked the car up. My car is a 93 with OBDI so it would be nice to know the manual way of checking the trouble codes.

So I did some searching on this forum and found a few answers. One being possibly the mass air flow sensor. What I am wondering is if anyone who has had this exact problem happen to them and they replaced the mass air flow sensor if that cured the problem. I am very handy when working on vehicles electrical systems so if anyone has any things to check or look for it would be greatly appreciated.

Also how do I check for what code I am getting?

Thanks in advance,

Josh

If your CEL light is on, take it to autozone, ask them to read the code, most often they can read it for free. We had it read multiple times during a 3 week period as we worked on diagnosing the car. They were always very nice about it. We finally narrowed ours down to being the Bank 2 Knock Sensor and we plan on replacing them this weekend.

Hey, I am having similar problems. Last winter during some time in January, I was out in the desert, here in Utah, !Removed! around on snow, which was over sand. I know, I know, dumb stupid stupid... But never the less, I got stuck. Nobody was going to be able to come help out, and instead of freezing to death in the middle of nowhere, I decided to work my car out of being stuck. So slowly rocking the car, inch by inch. Not like dumb rednecks do with their pickup truck where you pop in 1st slam the gas and then jam to reverse and repeat. I went slow, but somewhere in the process I think I did something to my car that has now caused the TRAC light to come on every now and then while I am driving. It comes on randomly and stays on. I can stop my car, turn it off wait a few seconds and turn it back on and the light goes away. So I have no idea what the problem is. I live in an area where Lexus dealers are far away, which is why I bought the car because of the durability of Toyota. If anybody knows anything I can do short of having one of these country boys work on my car, I sure would appreciate the help.

Thanks

Matt :)