I Think I Got A Winner! Thanks Guys!

Gumart1

OK, well, perhaps that is an exaggeration. But I have to share my excitement, after a long time of searching. I had previously posted looking for advice in two different scenarios. The first was a '90 LS400 for $4500 from the Dealer who wouldn't budge, the second was another '90 with 240k miles that I almost pulled the trigger on, and finally the one that I am buying this week...

I found a Blue '98 LS400 with 97k miles for $12,500 from a private party, which happened to be the lowest price I've seen advertised anywhere lately with the miles. I've checked the Carfax history and it is a clean 2 owner, the second owner bought it Certified from Lexus with 30k. Since then, it has received full dealer servicing for every 5k service, including the 90k timing belt/water pump. I spoke with Lexus in detail and was faxed a report. Of course I can't get too excited yet because...the car is over 300 miles from me and I will be seeing it for the first time in person this weekend. But I've gone over in detail with the seller exactly what to expect inside and out. Body and interior are in excellent shape and tires are 10k old. No problems that I am aware of. We are meeting at a Lexus Dealership where for $85 they will check it thoroughly. Because of this forum I am so much more knowledgeable on the different generations and what issues to look for. I will keep my eye on the suspension as I understand at this mileage some problems can begin. I don't expect to find much wrong with the service history so far. Although I thought it would be nice to start with an earlier generation, the opportunity arose and I jumped on it. I love the changes for 98' and would love to hear feedback on what I can expect, and also if you feel I got a decent deal?

I love the changes for 98' and would love to hear feedback on what I can expect, and also if you feel I got a decent deal?

thats a helluva deal........great descision,

t

he 98+ LS is where its at (unless you can afford a '01+)......they are the best IMO, you will love that you went with that generation instead of and earlier one, getting an earlier one would just make you want a 98+, (thats how i feel about mine) <_<

Thanks alot for the support and feedback. I certainly have major respect for owners of the earlier generations and the advice given me when I was looking. You guys work harder than anyone to keep this car a classic. I still loved the 90 I looked at, for the money it cannot be beat, if its been maintained. One of the improvements that interests me about the '98 and up is the increase in horsespower and the acceleration of 0-60 in 6.6 seconds vs. 8.2. How many of you have owned or driven this and an earlier generation, and is the power difference definitely noticeable? What other changes can be appreciated (cd changer in the glovebox is one that comes to mind)? I did feel that the seats in the earlier version were a bit stiff and springy, but I like the style of the seats nonetheless.

The car almost sounds too good to be true! 290hp that's the most important change to think of!! :lol: Also, the hid lights will be nice if your car is equiped. Go to http://lexls.com --> LS generations. Carl has spelled out the changes from year to year in painstaking detail.

Congratulations!!!!

:cheers:

How many of you have owned or driven this and an earlier generation, and is the power difference definitely noticeable? What other changes can be appreciated (cd changer in the glovebox is one that comes to mind)? I did feel that the seats in the earlier version were a bit stiff and springy, but I like the style of the seats nonetheless.

i own a '92 but i have driven several 98+ models, the are just better all around. they are more comfy, more elegant, and a helluva a lot faster and more torquey, although my LS with definatley Run :whistles: .........

the looks of the 98+ is really the major thing i like about em, that front grill with the HID's is just soooo sweet looking and timeless, and the wheels, although i have those on mine....

the only thing i can think of i like better on my car then the 98+ is the polished exhaust tips.....when i get a 98+ i'm definatley putting the Gen 1 exhaust tips on her.

If it checks out, that is a fantastic buy. I would have jumped at a car like that 3 months ago when I got mine.

At that price, you shouldn't be disappointed even if you do have to spend an extra $1000-$1500 to fix things up.

Congrats.

:cheers: