Problems When Cranking... Any Ideas?

RARE

More and more frequently, when I attempt to crank my LX450 absolutely nothing happens. There is power... all electronics work fine. The motor just doesn't attempt to turn over at all. It's not a dead battery. If I turn the key several times, it'll eventually crank right up as normal, but I may have 5 or 6 attempts with nothing. Sometimes it'll give a quick turn and simply stop. It's like the key's not connected to anything at all, and then all of a sudden it cranks. Anybody have a clue what this might be and what I might be looking at in repairs? And any help on the steering wheel post I made below would be greatly appreciated.

The problem you're experiencing is most likely due to your starter contacts going out.

You have 2 options: (1) replace your starter; (2) rebuild your starter.

Although I haven't rebuilt my own yet, I understand it's a fairly easy job.

Take a look at this discussion -- from another forum -- for more information on rebuilding -- http://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=2...highlight=start

There's a link in that discussion to www.sleeoffroad.com. That link will take you to another site with instructions on how to your starter contacts (which are likely the problem).

If it is the starter, you shouldn't put it off -- it can get stuck on, which will cause a mirade of other problems...including killing your alternator.

The problem you're experiencing is most likely due to your starter contacts going out.

Hmm Doug, he says absolutely nothing happens. If the starter contacts were wearing down, wouldn't you typical be able to at least hear the starter clicking?

:cheers:

Rookie

When it happened to me, I never heard a clicking sound. Just the click you'd get when you turn the key (as it rotates). It happened in frequently in my case -- although I've read cases where people have had to turn the key 10 to 20 times to get the truck started.

My experience of this problem was before it became commonly known (it was on the 94 LC I used to own). I let it go for a while until the day the starter got stuck on -- I couldn't get engine speed up beyond 2500 RPM and when I tried to turn the engine off, the starter kept grinding. Not a fun day to say the least...

Hopefully it's just the starter.

Thanks for the info, DJ.

B/t what you've said here and the other discussion you posted, it sounds like that might just be my problem. I at first thought starter problems, but it just wasn't quite cosistent w/other starter problems I've had w/older vehicles. And I didn't want to get into searching blindly for the problem. I figured somebody on here would've had a similar experience.

Thanks, again for the info.

Sounds like the starter contacts. Should only be like $15 in parts at your local Toyota if you do it yourself. First, you need to find out which starter you have (I think there are two models for the LC80). A replacement starter will cost $$$.

i just went thru this.....

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/showthread...threadid=139357

its more than $15 in parts....you need new gaskets for the intake manifold removale as the starter is under there......personally i would not recommend doing this oneself unless one has the mechanical experience, time and a second car....another member did this R/R himself and wished he'd spent the $400-500 to have it performed professionally.

anyway if you need a starter to r/r i have on that is in great shape....just needs contacts!

regards,

terry

Terry - the instructions you have are correct for a LX 470, not a LX 450. The starter on a 450 is much easier to access. No gaskets are required. Removal of the starter takes no more than 15 to 30 minutes depending on the abilities of the person removing the part.

RARE,

I had the same problem with my starter last August (97 LX450). It became gradually worse over a couple of weeks, and depending on the weather/temp, it sometimes would work fine. I first thought it was the battery. I had it tested it was fine. Next I researched this site and 'ih8mud' and determined it was likely the contacts. Anyway, the worse case scenario, as dougjohn mentioned, is it gets stuck on.....in which case you need to keep some tool(s) ready to disconnect the battery quickly. Fortunately, mine was still under the extended warranty and got it replaced with a new one (the larger 2.0 kW version). (It would have cost me about $425--$285 for the starter & $140 labor). dougjohn had suggested on many threads to buy a factory service manual, which I did, off of ebay for $75. If it had not been under warranty, I would have definitely done it myself. Get one if you dont have one. It will pay for itself the first time you replace a brakelight or two, compared to taking it to be serviced....(I'm replacing the front brake pads this w-end--- $50 parts)

Chip

chip,

good to see you here again!

I'm on the ih8mud site as norcaldoug -- are you just lurking there or have you posted there as well?

glad you got your starter issues taken care of under warranty -- I took care of mine the same way. With the FSM, however, it wouldn't have been too difficult to work on (for the 450).

chip,

good to see you here again!

I'm on the ih8mud site as norcaldoug -- are you just lurking there or have you posted there as well?

glad you got your starter issues taken care of under warranty -- I took care of mine the same way.  With the FSM, however, it wouldn't have been too difficult to work on (for the 450).

I just sent you an email on ih8mud earlier

I have definitely been 'lurking' there ...no posts there yet, still exploring it. I am "Chip" on that site.

• 4 weeks later...

Anybody got a good resource for the contacts? I've been told by the Lexus dealership that Lexus does not offer the parts - the contacts themselves. Talked to a pretty unkowledgable yahoo at a Yota dealership and was told the parts aren't interchangable - that contacts for a Yota starter won't work. I don't believe that for a minute, so if any of you guys can give me a good resource for the contacts I would greatly appreciate it. I could just tell the Yota guys that they're for an FZJ80 and be done w/it.... just wanna see what you guys have to say.