Electrical Problems

mmone

Hi I am the proud owner 1993 sc400 with 96k.After the big snow storm,The car was sitting for a couple of days.When I started the car,It ran fine.when I cut off the car I noticed the dashed stayed on.When I parked the car 5 min after,my lights,and my alarm kept going off.I called the dealer he just said to disconnect the neg terminal from the battery.my friend and I lossened the terminal(could not get it off) I turned the keyless remote off and so far it has worked.Any ideas what could be causing the problem and if infact is electrical what is a ballpark figure? thanks in advance for your help. :D

My first guess would be an electrical short somewhere, but these are usually the worst kind. I would hope that its just a temporary thing, maybe just some water got in the engine bay and will evaporate itself out, but the dealer should be able to give you a free scan of the ECU for trouble codes. Its a long shot, but it may be worth it. I wouldnt drive around with the negative terminal loose like that either. It can cause more bad than good if it does come off completely. Removing or loosening the negative terminal on the battery sounds like a temporary fix also and im not sure why the dealer told you to do this....

My first guess would be an electrical short somewhere, but these are usually the worst kind.  I would hope that its just a temporary thing, maybe just some water got in the engine bay and will evaporate itself out, but the dealer should be able to give you a free scan of the ECU for trouble codes.  Its a long shot, but it may be worth it.  I wouldnt drive around with the negative terminal loose like that either.  It can cause more bad than good if it does come off completely.  Removing or loosening the negative terminal on the battery sounds like a temporary fix also and im not sure why the dealer told you to do this....

My first guess would be an electrical short somewhere, but these are usually the worst kind.  I would hope that its just a temporary thing, maybe just some water got in the engine bay and will evaporate itself out, but the dealer should be able to give you a free scan of the ECU for trouble codes.  Its a long shot, but it may be worth it.  I wouldnt drive around with the negative terminal loose like that either.  It can cause more bad than good if it does come off completely.  Removing or loosening the negative terminal on the battery sounds like a temporary fix also and im not sure why the dealer told you to do this....