'97 Ls400 Suspension

latintxn54

Greetings! Replace both front Strut Bars or just the Strut Bar Bushings? I understand removing the entire Strut Bar (Left & Right) would be the fastest fix to my rough ride problem (they're 88.98 each at Irontoad.com) but the Strut Bar bushings are only 32.97 each. Are the Strut Bar Bushings pressed in or do they simply fall out? Any feedback appreciated.

the struts are cheap, as well as the bushings........i personally would replace them both if you are gonna get in there.......it will be needed preventative maintenance for fruther down the road.

the bushings are pressed in. you will have to either cut them out or heat them up to get them out

Greetings!  Replace both front Strut Bars or just the Strut Bar Bushings?  I understand removing the entire Strut Bar (Left & Right) would be the fastest fix to my rough ride problem (they're 88.98 each at Irontoad.com) but the Strut Bar bushings are only 32.97 each.  Are the Strut Bar Bushings pressed in or do they simply fall out?  Any feedback appreciated.

Hey cool find for a supplier for the bushings. I would rather take the savings on just the bushings. The part is steel and like the knuckle bushings are the only part that actually shows wear. The added cost is in the time it takes to press in and out of the strut rod. I am due for a replacement too and this would do very nicely. I don’t have a press but am going to try and rig one up with a vise and a small jack. Thanks for the tip.

Use plenty of white grease or even hand lotion. It helps setting it a lot. Also clean the bushing bore with fine emery paper and apply a coat of grease.

Do NOT use axle grease.

BTW, nothing replaces a hydraulic press for this job. You don't need much pressure, usually around 800 pounds should do.

To get the old bushings out is usually harder than to fit new ones. Use 2 different sizes of nuts for this (together with a press or your makeshift press).

Use plenty of white grease or even hand lotion. It helps setting it a lot. Also clean the bushing bore with fine emery paper and apply a coat of grease.

Do NOT use axle grease.

BTW, nothing replaces a hydraulic press for this job. You don't need much pressure, usually around 800 pounds should do.

To get the old bushings out is usually harder than to fit new ones. Use 2 different sizes of nuts for this (together with a press or your makeshift press).

Thanks for the heads up. Turns out however, I contacted Iron Toad for the bushing and was told that they do not offer that product. They only sell the whole rod. (to me anyways) I assumed that latintxn54 was getting them from there but was mistaken.

So..latintxn54 who is your supplier for the strut rod bushing?

Do NOT use axle grease.

Thanks for the heads up. Turns out however, I contacted Iron Toad for the bushing and was told that they do not offer that product. They only sell the whole rod. (to me anyways) I assumed that latintxn54 was getting them from there but was mistaken.

So..latintxn54 who is your supplier for the strut rod bushing?

Good morning..I called IronToad just yesterday and they were the ones that offer both the strut bar bushings AND the strut bar. Since I don't have access to a press I am opting to replace the entire strut bar. Shouldn't be to labor intensive.