Changing A Window Motor?

This is for my mother's 1999 Nissan Sentra. I was just wondering if changing a window motor (driver's side) is pretty much the same no matter what kind of car it is? If so, how would I go about changing a window motor? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I've replaced window motors and switches in my LS400 doors before. Yes, it is that simple IN THEORY, but it all depends on the situation. I cannot stress enough, BE CAREFUL about removing the door panel. I damaged a clip in my door panel and now the interior handle is forever loose :cries:

I'll admit, when I replaced my window motors it was a slight challenge to figure out which nuts/bolts to loosen in order to get the motor disconnected from the arm and window. It's also critical to make sure it's all lined up properly on reconnect, but that's not too difficult. It only took a couple tries and I had it reconnected and working well. All said and done I think it took about an hour, but a good amount of that time was probably spent looking for tools... :pirate:

Good luck!

B)

I've replaced window motors and switches in my LS400 doors before. Yes, it is that simple IN THEORY, but it all depends on the situation. I cannot stress enough, BE CAREFUL about removing the door panel. I damaged a clip in my door panel and now the interior handle is forever loose  :cries:

I'll admit, when I replaced my window motors it was a slight challenge to figure out which nuts/bolts to loosen in order to get the motor disconnected from the arm and window. It's also critical to make sure it's all lined up properly on reconnect, but that's not too difficult. It only took a couple tries and I had it reconnected and working well. All said and done I think it took about an hour, but a good amount of that time was probably spent looking for tools...  :pirate:

Good luck!

B)

Thanks!

I've replaced window motors and switches in my LS400 doors before. Yes, it is that simple IN THEORY, but it all depends on the situation. I cannot stress enough, BE CAREFUL about removing the door panel. I damaged a clip in my door panel and now the interior handle is forever loose 

I'll admit, when I replaced my window motors it was a slight challenge to figure out which nuts/bolts to loosen in order to get the motor disconnected from the arm and window. It's also critical to make sure it's all lined up properly on reconnect, but that's not too difficult. It only took a couple tries and I had it reconnected and working well. All said and done I think it took about an hour, but a good amount of that time was probably spent looking for tools...

i have a master switch, i rebuilt it with no luck, so i'm looking for a replacement. anyway........how do you get to the motor, it is insdide the metal door frame isn't it i mean i took the door panel off but......i didn't see anyway to get in there and get it out. i mean the hole is only about 8 inches wide and i couldn't access the motor......any tips.

I was of the same impression originally, but a former neighbor (and scrap yard owner) showed me how to do it. Given that, I would think the procedure should be similar for most vehicles.

Yes, it is inside the metal frame and it is a little tricky to get at (that might be a slight understatement). I'll try to retrace my steps, although it's been a while...

Power Window Motor Replacement Procedure for 1991 LS400

Of course, this same procedure should apply to 1990-1994 LS400...

1. Start by making sure the window is up all the way. If the window is down, some of the components you need to access will be sitting on the opposite side of the glass from you and impossible to get to.

2. Once you have the interior panel off, you have to then peel back the plastic covering, carefully.

3. The motor is actually mounted to the inside of the inner part of the door frame. I think there are 3 bolts that hold it on there. They are directly accessible once the interior panel is off. Loosen and remove these. You'll want to reach inside the door frame and hold the motor while you loosen those bolts to keep it from falling.

4. Now you should be able to easily move the retractor arm around enough to get it disconnected from the window. Be sure to hold the window when disconnecting the motor or retracting arm as it could fall from the up position once support for it is removed.

5. I apologize, but I don't recall if the retracting arm should be disconnected from the motor before pulling it all out, but I think I just pulled the retracting arm and motor out in one piece. Then just swap the arm to the new motor before re-installing.

6. On installation, you need to connect the retracting arm to the window first, I think, in order to make sure the motor is in the correct position when you bolt it on. Basically, you want to make sure that "all the way up" on the motor = "all the way up" for the window. Make sense? If not, it will once you get to that point :)

If there is enough desire out there for help with this procedure, I would be willing to take my door apart and snap some pics. It shouldn't take me long to do that, I've done it several times at this point.

:cheers:

I was of the same impression originally, but a former neighbor (and scrap yard owner) showed me how to do it. Given that, I would think the procedure should be similar for most vehicles.

Yes, it is inside the metal frame and it is a little tricky to get at (that might be a slight understatement). I'll try to retrace my steps, although it's been a while...

1. Start by making sure the window is up all the way. If the window is down, some of the components you need to access will be sitting on the opposite side of the glass from you and impossible to get to.

2. Once you have the interior panel off, you have to then peel back the plastic covering, carefully.

3. The motor is actually mounted to the inside of the inner part of the door frame. I think there are 3 bolts that hold it on there. They are directly accessible once the interior panel is off. Loosen and remove these. You'll want to reach inside the door frame and hold the motor while you loosen those bolts to keep it from falling.

4. Now you should be able to easily move the retractor arm around enough to get it disconnected from the window. Be sure to hold the window when disconnecting the motor or retracting arm as it could fall from the up position once support for it is removed.

5. I apologize, but I don't recall if the retracting arm should be disconnected from the motor before pulling it all out, but I think I just pulled the retracting arm and motor out in one piece. Then just swap the arm to the new motor before re-installing.

6. On installation, you need to connect the retracting arm to the window first, I think, in order to make sure the motor is in the correct position when you bolt it on. Basically, you want to make sure that "all the way up" on the motor = "all the way up" for the window. Make sense? If not, it will once you get to that point  :)

If there is enough desire out there for help with this procedure, I would be willing to take my door apart and snap some pics. It shouldn't take me long to do that, I've done it several times at this point.

So did you just manuever the motor until you could get it out of the inner door or did you actually have to take the inner door off?

6. On installation, you need to connect the retracting arm to the window first, I think, in order to make sure the motor is in the correct position when you bolt it on. Basically, you want to make sure that "all the way up" on the motor = "all the way up" for the window. Make sense? If not, it will once you get to that point  :)

So did you just manuever the motor until you could get it out of the inner door or did you actually have to take the inner door off?

You never have to remove the inner door <_< It can always be manuevered out. At least our cars use bolts, alot of the older american cars the motors were rivited in,not a huge deal, however alot more annoying.

The door does not come apart, I believe the inner and outer layers to the door ARE riveted (or welded) together. But motor is bolted on. You have to maneuver the motor out that little opening close to the lower left corner of the door (driver side) once you peel back the plastic.

My digital camera has a broken shutter, I may just use my video camera instead and save off stills as needed. I'll do this and add post the full tutorial asap.

PS - Anybody needing a driver side motor for a 90-94 LS400, I might know of one at a good price. Let me know if you're interested and I'll see if it's still available.

B)

Sorry silver, that was the part I had to replace. I have a switch that could probably be rebuilt, if you want it I'll send it for cost of shipping :)

I got my replacement switch from a scrap yard. You might check with TAP, I talked to them yesterday and they were waiting on a fresh wreck that should be there today.

BTW, the switch is ten times easier to replace than the motor.