Es300 Purchase Question

sarotara

I'm considering buying an ES300 with ~95k miles on it for $10.5k. Is this a reasonable price for the car? Also, what kind of problems can I expect with the car and what maintenance should be done on the car at 100k miles? This is my first car so any help would be appreciated. Thank you! :)

Check following thing before you buy.

1. Timing belt , water pump and other belt has been changed.

2. front lower control arm bushing and stabilizer bushing

3. rear stabilizer bushing

4. front and rear struts and mounts

5. power steering pump leaking.

6. front and rear valve cover leaking

7. rotor and pad condition.

Otherwise I think price is good.

Check following thing before you buy.

1. Timing belt , water pump and other belt  has been changed.

2. front lower control arm bushing and stabilizer bushing

3. rear stabilizer bushing

4. front and rear struts and mounts

5. power steering pump leaking.

6. front and rear valve cover leaking

7. rotor and pad condition.

Otherwise I think price is good.

I agree with cam.....in addition to what he mentioned, I also suggest getting ALL service records for the car (especially all oil change info because of the engine sludge problem that effects 97 - 01 ES'). Good Luck! B)

:cheers:

I'm considering buying an ES300 with ~95k miles on it for $10.5k. Is this a reasonable price for the car? Also, what kind of problems can I expect with the car and what maintenance should be done on the car at 100k miles? This is my first car so any help would be appreciated. Thank you!  :)

It all comes down to condition.

In 'average' condition, Edmunds puts this car at right around $10 K in a private party transaction. In excellent condition, it goes up to $12.5 K or so.

In general, my personal opinion is that a car with that many miles isn't worth purchasing unless it's in absolute prime condition. No major problems and obviously very well tended (with records to match). If you can see one or more major problems, it's not just an issue of "well, it will cost me $1000 to replace the tmining belt", it's more an issue of "if they didn't take care of this item, what other items did they neglect".

Now, I realize that my situation is probably different than yours - I'm more interested in a new vehicle. But, on the other hand, someone buying a 5 year old used car probably needs reliability even more than I do because you're not going to want the expense of paying for a rental and repairs.

So, back to my original suggestion. I would not personally buy any car with >75 K miles unless it appears to be in absolutely exceptional condition.

Good luck.