What Should I Do With My Ass?

studlee

Studlee, what's the point??

Go ahead if you want, it should still drive okay, it will just look like it hasn't been cared for properly <_<

...whatever floats your boat..

:cheers:

i don't see the point in it (unless ur driving a BMW that has different line-up of engines i.e. 740i vs. 745li or something like that!)

Even then, I still don't see the point in debadging the car. I guess I'm not "cool" enough to get into the debadging trend. I like seeing the good looking "Lexus" on the car's back anyway.

Having been a Mercedes owner during much of the 60's, 70's and 80's, my understanding is that the debadging trend started primarily in the 1970's (1972 specifically) when European owners of Mercedes with engines over three litres removed the model badges to hide the tax status of their cars. In several European countries, cars with engines over three litres (such as Mercedes 350/450 V8 sedans) were taxed at substantially higher rates that similar cars with engines under three litres (such as 6 cylinder 280 sedans).

Debadging also became of symbol of modesty and perhaps even false modesty. You really didn't want your neighbor to know that your Mercedes cost twice what his similar looking one cost. Soon, not just owners of expensive Mercedes V8 cars were removing badges - owners of inexpensive Mercedes cars started doing it too perhaps trying to make people think that their relatively inexpensive 6-cylinder carburated Mercedes 280's were really expensive fuel injected 350/450 V8's. Soon, Mercedes made model badges a "delete option". I owned a Mercedes 450SEL in the 70's and have always wondered if it was the car that Toyota was trying to emulate when it conceived the idea of the LS in the early 80's. The 450SEL was Car and Driver magazine's "Best Car in the World" in 1979.

I guess I followed the trend and had a mid-size Mercedes sedan debadged in the early 80's when it was in the body shop for collision damage to the rear - but mainly to prevent corrosion around the badges that was typical of the era. And, if I had thought about it, I would have had my 90 LS debadged when it was in the shop for a $10,000 rear collision damage repair in 2000. Heck, I completely debadged one of the first Honda CRX-si's sold in the the U.S. in 1984 -- what a hot rod and way faster than my first LS!

Personally, I think it is tacky for manufacturers to put all these logos and symbols on their cars. The black chrome rear logos on my current LS would be in the trash by now if there weren't holes in the bodywork under them. I've always thought it was funny when people seem "impressed" that my car is a Lexus. My previous and current LS have always worn a Toyota license plate frame on the back - they are just nice Toyotas after all.

I owned a Mercedes 450SEL in the 70's and have always wondered if it was the car that Toyota was trying to emulate when it conceived the idea of the LS in the early 80's.

Thats precisely the car the LS was designed to emulate, they talk about it in the new Lexus story book.

I've always thought it was funny when people seem "impressed" that my car is a Lexus.  My previous and current LS have always worn a Toyota license plate frame on the back - they are just nice Toyotas after all.

I notice that some people make that comment about Lexus cars being nothing more than a "nice Toyota" or a "dressed up Toyota" or whatever. I hear those comments a lot more often that someone saying for example an Infiniti is nothing more than a "dolled up Nissan" (actually I have never heard anyone say that, nor do I believe in that comment) or with any other luxury divisions. Why is that? It's been a curiosity of mine.

Oh ya I read the Lexus Story book, a great book. I like the chrome emblem on the cover, a nice touch. :)

Believe what you want, but Lexus is made by Toyota, so why not call it what it is? It's a luxury Toyota. Why does that have a negative connotation for you?

It's the misinformed general American public that creates stereotypes like this. Why do you think Toyota created a separate business and called it Lexus? Simple. It sounds a hell of a lot more prestigious and is completely detached from names like Cressidaor Celica. Those names aren't very luxurious now are they?

Interesting comparison with the Infiniti example. I generally don't hear many people talk about Infiniti one way or the other. B)

Another example, though, are the plenty of Porshes out there that are really VWs on steroids. What should we call them?

I do have a friend that drives a Q45 and he "thinks" it's every bit as good as my LS400. Is he crazy? Yes he is. But I can't tell him that or I would have to suffer through endless ranting while he tries to prove his point. While I readily admit, he has a nice ride, his 98 Q45 has no feature my 91 LS400 doesn't. I find that rather lacking over a 7 year difference. His Q45 certainly doesn't hold it's value or ride any better than my LS. :D

I haven't looked into the differences under the hood, but I'd venture to guess they're substantial. Anyone care to offer an LS400 vs Q45 comparison? :whistles:

Yeah Jim didn't mean it in a negative way, he loves his LS and as far as I know from talking to him has no plans on purchasing anything else but future LS's. Thats precisely why Toyota created the Lexus brand in the US but sells the cars in Japan with the Toyota name, Americans need the name. In 2001 Lexus even removed "Toyota" from the windows and I remember car mags talking about this as a major design change. Americans are very shallow and materialistic.

In fact the only reason they're bringing Lexus to Japan is to improve the image of the brand in AMERICA!

I realize that vcv's real statement was why do people mention Lexus that way more than Infiniti, because Lexus is legitimate competition Infiniti isn't. Fans of Mercedes, BMW etc are very threatened by Lexus and Lexus owners, the current iterations of Benz and BMW cars are directly a result of Lexus coming on the scene and changing how the luxury car market worked and a lot of BMW and Benz "purists" hate that. The only thing they can say that really gets underneath the skin of Lexus owners is "its just a fancy Toyota". THATS why you hear it more about Lexus. Its like a bunch of blue bloods putting down the guy down the street that owns a string of dry cleaners. He's "beneath them" because of his "lowly beginnings" when in all reality he's more deserving of his success then they are, and they know it too. They get together and find ways to put him down to make themselves feel better, this is where the Benz and BMW heads came up with "its just a fancy Toyota" it makes them feel better and legitimizes their purchase.

We do the same thing in a way when we harp on how unreliable and poorly built german cars are, we all know thats not really true anymore and that someone could buy an S500 and enjoy it every bit as much and every bit as long as an LS430. We still say it though.

As for the Q45, they're nice cars but there are some fundamental areas where they lack from the LS. Their construction isn't as solid nor is their interior as high quality, they lack some features their contemporaries had like dual zone climate etc. They also have the lowest resale value in the industry.

Shaggz,

First off I was inquiring why I hear people make the comment about Lexus being nothing more than a nice Toyota than any other manufacturer. I was not saying that this statement is negative. Where in my post did I say I view this a negative?? I was simply curious. I know that Lexus is made by Toyota, and that knowledge is comforting because I trust Toyota products. I also know that Toyota made Lexus because it needed a seperate luxury division for America.

Steve,

Thanks for answering my question and for clarifying what I was asking. :) BTW I was not accusing 1990LS400/Jim for insulting Lexus. I just quoted what he said and made a question regarding it, nothing more nothing less.

I apologize Jim if it sounded like I was making an accusation against you.

Edited by vcv10guy

Just bought one last weekend. Removing the emblems was the first this I wanted to do since I saw a Porche Cyanne Turbo with everything removed. I guess this is the wrong place to say this, but I'm kind of embarrassed to drive it. I don't really understand the status symbol that goes with Lexus. I think Mercedes is way more prestigious, and yet soft spoken. Everyone gives me the, Uuuuu, you bought a Lexus huh?

Bottom line is, if I could remove everything without damaging the paint, I'd do it in a second.

Just bought one last weekend.  Removing the emblems was the first this I wanted to do since I saw a Porche Cyanne Turbo with everything removed.  I guess this is the wrong place to say this, but I'm kind of embarrassed to drive it.  I don't really understand the status symbol that goes with Lexus.  I think Mercedes is way more prestigious, and yet soft spoken.  Everyone gives me the, Uuuuu, you bought a Lexus huh?

Bottom line is, if I could remove everything without damaging the paint, I'd do it in a second.

Why did you buy the GX if you are embarassed to drive it then? :blink:

lol, you think people react to you funny in the Lexus roll up in a Mercedes, I know people who drive Mercedes and their cars get spit on, keyed, egged etc. Lexus is much more understated and "beneath the radar" than Mercedes.

You'll get used to it.

Just bought one last weekend.  Removing the emblems was the first this I wanted to do since I saw a Porche Cyanne Turbo with everything removed.  I guess this is the wrong place to say this, but I'm kind of embarrassed to drive it.  I don't really understand the status symbol that goes with Lexus.  I think Mercedes is way more prestigious, and yet soft spoken.  Everyone gives me the, Uuuuu, you bought a Lexus huh?

Well if I had a Cayenne, I'd debadge it too. I can't believe such an expensive vehicle has doors that sound so tinny when they are closed and has such a cheap looking interior. Mercedes reliability doesn't do much for the prestige image. I'll take my reliable, great looking and handling GX any day. You couldn't sell me a ML500 because the printing over the buttons and switches are so small I'd have to wear my Dr. Dean's while driving. Now there's some really odd engineering for you. I noticed this while riding in a 2004 ML AMG. So, what caused you to buy a Lexus???

get a blow dryer and warm up the badges. get floss and in a sawing motion go though the adhesive. remove goo with goo-gone...wash area. stand back and admire.

good luck

Well if I had a Cayenne, I'd debadge it too. I can't believe such an expensive vehicle has doors that sound so tinny when they are closed and has such a cheap looking interior. Mercedes reliability doesn't do much for the prestige image. I'll take my reliable, great looking and handling GX any day. You couldn't sell me a ML500 because the printing over the buttons and switches are so small I'd have to wear my Dr. Dean's while driving. Now there's some really odd engineering for you. I noticed this while riding in a 2004 ML AMG. So, what caused you to buy a Lexus???

I am with you GXJon. I take the GX any day. Debadging the logo on your rig sounds like someone is ashame of something. That's the only thing I see that would make someone do this. I don't want to sound like I am bashing someone. Its your freedom to do what you want with your rig. Prior to getting my GX, I thought about BMW and Mercedes too. After going over the JDPower quality survey and my own personal experience with the RX300, I am proud to choose the GX. I look forward to years of driving pleasure. GX rule :D

A lot of people do it just because they think it looks cleaner, makes the car easier to wash and wax etc. The badges are a PITA to clean around.

Hmm, you do have a point, never thought about it much.

• 2 weeks later...

I was actually just going to get a 4Runner. Worked on trying to get one for about 4 months. Impossible to get one w/ air ride suspension in Cali. Figured there must be a reason why it was going so wrong with buying a vehicle. Out of nowhere I thought of Lexus. After going through Costco, it was only 6 grand more than the 4Runner, and came stock with the air ride. No brainer

I love the truck, but I just feel like I'm showing off. I guess I'm just mental. I'm pretty much over it. Actually thinking about buying a Lexus emblem hitch cover. I should just be proud of it. Hell I started trying to buy a vehicle in Oct, and didn't get one until Jan. So glad Toyota was such a pain. I'd be bummed if I got the 4Runner before I found out about the GX.