What Should I Do

lexus lover

Nobody feels the way i do about lexus then the people here so thats why im comeing to you guys for help. I have a 93 LS400 that needs a engine the one in the car now has almost 300k . Im told im runin on only four good cylinders. So what should i do? I found an engine, used of course 4 $700. I would still have to find someone to put it in and it also comes with a 6months warranty. Should i go this route and try to save my lex. or spend $5-$6000 on another one? By the way what u guys think about the transmision. It feels strong now but should i be concerned about it.

Nobody feels the way i do about lexus then the people here so thats why im comeing to you guys for help. I have a 93 LS400 that needs a engine the one in the car now has almost 300k . Im told im runin on only four good cylinders. So what should i do? I found an engine, used of course 4 $700. I would still have to find someone to put it in and it also comes with a 6months warranty. Should i go this route and try to save my lex. or spend $5-$6000 on another one?      By the way what u guys think about the transmision. It feels strong now but should i be concerned  about it.

replace the engine, replace the rear main seal and insect the TQ converter, replace if nessecary and call it good!

How much to put the engine in???

I priced your car on Edmonds (better then kelly, more of a true price). In ruff condition with 350,000 miles and no options it is worth at least $5,000.00

In totally damadged condition it is at lest $4,000.00, so onless it is realy bent up. dented and trashed... I would say that if you can get it up and going for $1,000 to $1,500.00 why not.

What kind of shape is it in...

inside and out??????

well it really just depends on what you want to do.

if you are tied to the car, (like most of us are) then give her a new heart and keep driving her another 100-200k.

if not junk it, or part it out, and find a new girl, there are plenty of nice Ls's out there to be had.

Why not try and find how much she's worth as is...........and then find another 93-95 LS.

You may be able to just get another nice LS for 1-2k difference and no hassles with changing out the engine and all that.........

I think if you drop another engine in yours it will open a big can of worms ($$$$$) to deal with.

Why not try and find how much she's worth as is...........and then find another 93-95 LS.

You may be able to just get another nice LS for 1-2k difference and no hassles with changing out the engine and all that.........

I think if you drop another engine in yours it will open a big can of worms ($$$$$) to deal with.

engine rebuilds are nto easy, by any means, btu they are overrated. in my opinion, they arent as difficult as some mechanics make them out to be. the hardest part i woudl say, is putting it all back together. and with a few manuals and a person or 2 who have done it before, you shoudl be able to do it yourself for under 1G.

an engine instaqll here will run between 800-1500 depending on who you use, its nto that difficult to take a motor out and put another one in. if you knwowhat you are doing, and have the toold, it can be done in less than a day.

however, maybe not with a LS400 V8, those are BIG motors.

If it was me (i have a 91 w/ 175k so i still have miles to go) i'd get out and upgrade to the next body style (95&up). As good as they are other things will likely fail so your maintenance level (expense) will continue. It's all a matter of personal preference and whether you want to pay now (replace the car) or pay later (continued maintenance expense). Good luck.

Yeah I agree. I think 300,000 miles is an admirable life for your LS. Couldn't ask for much more than that. Think about it this way, there's reasons they don't give 80 year old people heart transplants, at that age plenty of other components are ready to go and its just not worth it. Your 300k LS is an 80 year old man ;)

If you can afford to get into a newer model (95-97 or even better 98-00) then I'd do that, find a nice one with low miles and run it to 300k again.

How much to put the engine in???

I priced your car on Edmonds (better then kelly, more of a true price).  In ruff condition with 350,000 miles and no options it is worth at least $5,000.00

In totally damadged condition it is at lest $4,000.00, so onless it is realy bent up. dented and trashed... I would say that if you can get it up and going for $1,000 to $1,500.00 why not.

What kind of shape is it in...

inside and out??????

Inside the car is in ment shape. Blacked out clock i need an amp for the radio but thats it. Paint on the car is good and no dents and digs i think your right if i can get this fixed for around $2,000 i've made out good

If it was me (i have a 91 w/ 175k so i still have miles to go) i'd get out and upgrade to the next body style (95&up). As good as they are other things will likely fail so your maintenance level (expense) will continue. It's all a matter of personal preference and whether you want to pay now (replace the car) or pay later (continued maintenance expense). Good luck.

yes i love the car i have but i've been thinking about upgrading too a 95&up selling my car as is or parting it out then puting in the diff to buy a newer one