How Do I Tighten The Shift Knob?

paulwatson

Hello,

I am new to this board, & new to lexus. 2 weeks ago my wife hit a retaining wall & totalled her infiniti. Thankfully she was not hurt but the car was toast. After a lot of research & consideration we bought a beautiful pearl white '99 RX300. We love the car but the shift knob is very loose, if it weren't for the cables holding it on it would pull completely off, is there an easy way to tighten the knob or should I just try the usual homebrew methods?

Thanks for your help & greetings from a new member.

i dont think it can just be screwed back on. I have NO idea how it came loose. I looked on mine (2003 model same as 99) and i can't figure out how it's attached. Try !Removed! it left and right if it can and see if it gets tighter. If not, get a new one it must have snapped off..

sorry i couldn't help more.. :(

If you decide to get another shifter, I see ebay has a couple for sale by auction. I did a search on www.ebay.com for lexus rx300 shift to find the ones currently available.

I have never removed & replaced one so I don't know what to be careful of. Rewiring could be a problem?

Gordon

If you decide to get another shifter, I see ebay has a couple for sale by auction.  I did a search on www.ebay.com for    lexus rx300 shift    to find the ones currently available. 

I have never removed & replaced one so I don't know what to be careful of.  Rewiring could be a problem?

Gordon

On the 2001-2003 rx300's the shift knob is half wood and half leather. if you like that better, i think it will fit the same. Just a thought. A little customizing could be cool B) might be a little higher in prive though :o oh well...