Control Arm Bushings

I own a '92 SC400. This last weekend, I had the left and right front lower control arm bushings replaced for $320 (4 hours @ $80 per hour) at an independent mechanic who frequently works on Lexus. Each front lower control arm has a front and rear bushing.

The cost of the four bushings from the Lexus dealer was about $150.

Although the front LCA bushings are not listed for 92-96 model years, the bushings for 97-00 will work just fine. The part numbers are:

Front LCA front bushing - 48654-24040

Front LCA rear bushing - 48655-24050

The car now rides 1000% better.

Front LCA bushings are also available from Daizen (TM Engineering) and Vlamos.

A lot of SC owners like the Daizen bushings, which give a stiffer ride than stock. I wanted the cushy stock ride and so I didn't get them. The Vlamos are said to ride like stock, but they're a lot more expensive.

The Lexus dealer wanted $1,600 for parts and labor to replace the two front lower control arms. Simply replacing the bushings was not an option with the dealer.

I own a '92 SC400.  This last weekend, I had the left and right front lower control arm bushings replaced for $320 (4 hours @ $80 per hour) at an independent mechanic who frequently works on Lexus.  Each front lower control arm has a front and rear bushing.

Although the front LCA bushings are not listed for 92-96 model years, the bushings for 97-00 will work just fine.  The part numbers are:

A lot of SC owners like the Daizen bushings, which give a stiffer ride than stock.  I wanted the cushy stock ride and so I didn't get them.  The Vlamos are said to ride like stock, but they're a lot more expensive. 

The Lexus dealer wanted $1,600 for parts and labor to replace the two front lower control arms.  Simply replacing the bushings was not an option with the dealer.

Thanks, but I've seen different brands of bushings and polyurathane kits and they all range in price a lot... so does it make a difference what I go with or are they all the same? Just price...

Simply replacing the bushings was not an option with the dealer.

This sounds like great news to me!! I was told by the Lexus dealer that I need new upper control arms. This sounded strange to me, as I couldn't imagine why the "arm" would be bad. I was thinking about just replacing the bushings, but didn't know if that was sufficient.

So, is it possible for the actual control arm to "go bad" or do you think I would be in good shape just replacing the bushings?

Simply replacing the bushings was not an option with the dealer.

This sounds like great news to me!! I was told by the Lexus dealer that I need new upper control arms. This sounded strange to me, as I couldn't imagine why the "arm" would be bad. I was thinking about just replacing the bushings, but didn't know if that was sufficient.

So, is it possible for the actual control arm to "go bad" or do you think I would be in good shape just replacing the bushings?

No, it's still bad news. Lexus does not make a replacement bushing for the UPPER control arms. Only the LOWER. However if you google search VFT Bushes you will find a company that makes OEM style replacement rubber bushings.

Are you kidding me?? That's not bad news at all!! Well, it would be real nice if those $100 kits would cover the uppers, but, I found VFT and he's selling (4) replacement bushings for $300. New control arms would run me that much each side!!

I'll order these very soon..

:cheers:

Sorry to burst your bubble Shaggz but if your sc has high miles, the ball joints are also probably bad and they are permently attached to the control arm. The lexus dealer was right im sorry to say. You can use supra ca's though which are much cheaper.

No bubble to burst here... I actually drive an LS400 so I don't think the Supras would work, would they??

I also am already aware of the ball joint situation, fortunately those are not very pricey, from what I've found. But my adventures don't stop there...I also need new motor mounts, strut rod bushings and rear knuckle bushings...you know, typical 200k mile type stuff ;)

I was just ecstatic to discover I might save $300 on repairing the control arms!! :D

I own a '92 SC400.  This last weekend, I had the left and right front lower control arm bushings replaced for $320 (4 hours @ $80 per hour) at an independent mechanic who frequently works on Lexus.  Each front lower control arm has a front and rear bushing.

Although the front LCA bushings are not listed for 92-96 model years, the bushings for 97-00 will work just fine.  The part numbers are:

A lot of SC owners like the Daizen bushings, which give a stiffer ride than stock.  I wanted the cushy stock ride and so I didn't get them.  The Vlamos are said to ride like stock, but they're a lot more expensive. 

The Lexus dealer wanted $1,600 for parts and labor to replace the two front lower control arms.  Simply replacing the bushings was not an option with the dealer.

You're welcome. Glad if I can pass along any useful information.

I should mention that John really likes the Daizen bushings, as do a lot of SC owners.

If you want a stiffer ride, they're the way to go. (That wasn't my objective, however.)

They don't cost much more than the stock Lexus bushings and they should last forever.

Good luck!

Alfonso

Alfonso, Are you sure the lower bushings from Lexus 97-00 fit perfectly. I order mine today and will pick it up tomorrow. The problem is the installers will charge me 6 hrs. at $80 per hour with no grantee because it's not made for my year which is a 92 SC400 as well. I want to be double sure that there's no problems with yours. What about your ball joints? Did they have to change those as well? Thanks.

Alfonso, Are you sure the lower bushings from Lexus 97-00 fit perfectly. I order mine today and will pick it up tomorrow. The problem is the installers will charge me 6 hrs. at $80 per hour with no grantee because it's not made for my year which is a 92 SC400 as well. I want to be double sure that there's no problems with yours. What about your ball joints? Did they have to change those as well? Thanks.

My ball joints were ok and didn't need replacing.

Here's a thread where I learned about the SC400 '97-00 model year bushings also working for 92-96 models.

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/showthread...ght=48654-24040

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

i just had sway bar bushings replaced. according to the dealer - i've had absolutely no problems with the dealer either - control arm bushings are available by themselves and not typically a problem on our car.

i have to go over some speed bumps to determine the effect of the new bushings.