Durability

mbc1951

I just bought a used LX430. Does anyone have a idea on how many miles this car should last if well maintained. I've  heard stories of 200,000-300,000 miles which I would have never gotten with a domestic car.

If consistantly maintained properly that mileage is possible for sure! If not even more than that depending on how long you plan to keep the vehicle! I'd consider using synthetic oil however. Just my 2 cents. B)

:cheers:

It's routine to see Toyotas and Hondas in auto wrecking yards with between 175,000 - 375,000 miles on them and Lexus is a Toyota.

600,000 - 700,000 miles http://www.saber.net/~monarch/cole2.JPG is also attainable if the owner buys the car brand new and drives relatively gently and performs all scheduled preventive maintenance a little ahead of schedule instead of a little late like most owners do.

Most owners also screw up because they think "preventive maintenance" = just "lube oil and filter" every 5000 miles or so. But effective preventive maintenance also means taking care of the cooling, ignition, fuel, emission and exhaust systems as well as the engine oiling system. And taking care of these other systems using genuine Toyota / Lexus parts, filters and fluids instead of substituting auto parts store imitation products.

It's routine to see Toyotas and Hondas in auto wrecking yards with between 175,000 - 375,000 miles on them and Lexus is a Toyota. 

600,000 - 700,000 miles http://www.saber.net/~monarch/cole2.JPG is also attainable if the owner buys the car brand new and drives relatively gently and performs all scheduled preventive maintenance a little ahead of schedule instead of a little late like most owners do.

Most owners also screw up because they think "preventive maintenance" = just "lube oil and filter" every 5000 miles or so. But effective preventive maintenance also means taking care of the cooling, ignition, fuel, emission and exhaust systems as well as the engine oiling system.  And taking care of these other systems using genuine Toyota / Lexus parts, filters and fluids instead of substituting auto parts store imitation products.

define 'most' owners monarch. ;)

You mention 'imitation' items........are you saying using products like Mobil 1 or Amsoil are 'imitation' items? :blink: :whistles: I agree that using some genuine Toyota / Lexus fluids & parts is better than others......but not all. ;)

Lexusfreak, for many decades "most" of the people who have fallen for specialty aftermarket lubes, fluids and filters have been young people like yourself (and myself when I was in my 20's)

Example: Here is an ad from a June 1973 car magazine:

"Experience the Wonder of Wynn's [engine /transmission/ radiator additives] and the unique Wynn's Guarantee of 10% fuel savings, 10% more power and 44% less wear on moving parts - or your money back."

An inexhaustable supply of new teens and 20-something year olds guarantees an inexhaustable income for the old men who have traditionally been the ones who have invented, marketed and sold these specialty aftermarket lubes, fluids and filters.

Lexusfreak, for many decades "most" of the people who have fallen for specialty aftermarket lubes, fluids and filters have been young people like yourself (and myself when I was in my 20's) 

Example: Here is an ad from a June 1973 car magazine:

"Experience the Wonder of Wynn's [engine /transmission/ radiator additives] and the unique Wynn's Guarantee of 10% fuel savings, 10% more power and 44% less wear on moving parts - or your money back."

An inexhaustable supply of new teens and 20-something year olds guarantees an inexhaustable income for the old men who have traditionally been the ones who have invented, marketed and sold these specialty aftermarket lubes, fluids and filters.

Fair enough, but am I reading into this correctly that in the long run, I (we - those who use synthetic fluids) that I might end up doing more damage then helping my cause.....even if we can get a synthetic oil change for roughly the same price as a dino oil change at the dealer? :unsure: (I get my synthetic fluids & filters at wholesale). B)

I'm not talking about using 'miracle' additives like Dura Lube or Slick 50 which we all know are bogus & a rip off in a bottle now. :whistles: