Inaccurate Tint Reading On Ticket

blake918

Last night, the Louisiana State Police setup a road block checking for drunk drivers. Luckily, I was the designated driver, so I didn't drink a single thing. They didn't even bother giving me a field sobriety because I was clearly sober, but they did find 2 other things that warranted concern. First, I had 2 girls in my front passenger seat(who knew one could fit 8 people in a LS400! lmao) who weren't seat belted. I was able to talk the trooper out of that part of the ticket since I explained that I was the only one capable of driving. He couldn't argue so he threw the seatbelt offense out. Wheww....

Then, he slipped his little tint meter on my driver's window ::teeth cringed:: since I know my tint is illegal. The meter showed 11% as you can see in the picture below-I saw the meter with my own eyes, so it wasn't a typographical mistake. I fully understand that my tint is illegal, and if I were ticketed for 20% tint, I'd say tell me the who and how much for the ticket, but I do not have 11% tint. I was told that it doesn't even exist. My windows are tinted to 20%...that's what I paid my friend to do, and that's what it is.

The strangest thing about all of this was the State Trooper was one of the nicest guys I've ever come across, and by far, the nicest and most respectful policeman I've dealt with. I guess some cops choose not to be rude like the bulk of them out there.

Here's the question: Would it be possible to get this ticket thrown out since the reading is not true, although my real tint darkness is illegal? I know I can have my windows remetered and get an accurate reading. I have a flawless driving record if that makes any difference(I did have one for an inspection sticker, but a friend in the pd made that one disappear for me. Too bad I couldn't have been ticketed in that parish so that he could 'fix' this ticket for me.)-no speeding, parking, wreckless driving, etc.

I've gotten one most likely from a friend in a pm. I'm looking for some more opinions....

gallery_1461_62_1106457757.jpg

What is the maximum legal amount of window tints in your area? If it is 10%, then that cop, no matter how nice he was is a real ball breaker! A 1% difference...wow! :whistles:

Well if it reads inaccuratly and you can prove it then you have grounds to say the meter was inacuratly calibrated and thus any reading from this device is null and void

just liek a radar speeding ticket you have to uderstand the technology in question to fight it.

I never heard of a meter to gauge tint but then again i have a $1200 meter to measure paint thickness on ferrous and non ferrous metals called an elcometer that most people have never heard of.

I didn't know you could check window tints at night? My windows aren't tinted except for factory. Tint *BLEEP*es cops off whichcause them to bother you more about any little thing. You were lucky with the seatbelt thing, around here they will write that no matter what.

My wife got stopped in "checkpoint charlie" coming off the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel and they didn't write her for a 3 month out of date inspection or not being able to find the registration (I hid it in the glove compartment). They were out to Dwi someone I guess.

Why don't you just pay the fine and then get legal tints?  Or, if you get legal tints before your court date you may avoid a fine.

If you have 20% tints, and the legal amount is 40%, aren't you still legal? :wacko:

The maxium legal limit is 40%. The meter read 11%, but they are really tinted to 20%.

Then I sure would fight this ticket! :censored:

the cop's part of 11% tint is VERY wrong, but since you said that the legal tint limit is 40% and you have 20%, it still MIGHT be the same for the cops (because i think if you tell them about the difference but the limit is 40%, they would still won't let you go, i think)..

I dunno, that's my opinion. I know it's totally illegal here in ca, and i have 50% in the front!!!! (shhhh, don't tell anyone! :whistles: )

Why don't you just pay the fine and then get legal tints?  Or, if you get legal tints before your court date you may avoid a fine.

If you have 20% tints, and the legal amount is 40%, aren't you still legal?:wacko:

No, the way tint works the lower the number the darker the tint it. The number reflects the % of light that can pass through the tint, a 5% tint only lets 5% of light through while a 40% tint allows 40% through. Took me a while to figure that out too lol.

As for fighting it, always fight it! The worst the judge can do is make you pay the ticket which is just a fix it ticket anyways probably. Legally an innacurate reading will make the ticket invalid. Bear in mind though, those instruments add the factory tint and the aftermarket tint TOGETHER. Lexus windows are tinted pretty dark from the factory as it is, 80% or so so the 11% may be accurate. I've looked into getting mine tinted and the limit is 20% in MD and he told me the most he'd put on the car is 30% to make sure the added tint didnt put me over.

First of all let me say stopping people for sobriety is a beautiful thing. I get stopped a lot leaving D.C. late on a Fri or Sat night, they stop everyone and check them and keep a lot of dangerous people off the road. I'm always more than happy to stop, show my registration and take a breathalyzer to do my part in keeping everyone safe. Stopping people then using that opportunity to nitpick every little legal thing with their vehicle when the driver is doing the right thing and safely getting his friends home is just dirty. Usually cops will point things out like they did with Denny's wife but to actually give you a ticket instead of concentrating on their job of keeping dangerous drunks off the road is just pathetic. If you'd had 20 pounds of crack in the trunk that'd be one thing, but illegal tint? Come on. Sober people should have nothing to fear about a sobreity checkpoint.

I didn't know you could check window tints at night?  My windows aren't tinted except for factory.  Tint *BLEEP*es cops off whichcause them to bother you more about any little thing.  You were lucky with the seatbelt thing, around here they will write that no matter what.

My wife got stopped in "checkpoint charlie" coming off the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel and they didn't write her for a 3 month out of date inspection or not being able to find the registration (I hid it in the glove compartment).  They were out to Dwi someone I guess.

That's what they were doing here-looking to dwi some people. The few people I know that have dwi's, and they all got them from simple little traffic offenses like rolling stops and no turn signals. He saw that I wasn't drunk, so he had to ticket me for something. The only thing in Ruston is a univeristy, and going out on Friday nights is part of the "college experience" to most; the police know this which is why they were checking this in the first place. The trooper was a very nice, so I don't think it would sit well with him that I crammed a few extra people in my car so that they can get home safely.

Here's why I object:

I fully understand that my tint is illegal, and if I were ticketed for 20% tint,  I'd say tell me the who and how much for the ticket, but I do not have 11% tint.

I was waiting for this response. lol First, I was wrongly ticketed, and if I wasn't as I state above, I would gladly put the check in the mail as soon as they release the fine ammount. I want the dark tint on my LS400 for several reasons like cosmetic, cooler interior, and the protection it provides to the interior since my car sits in university lot most days of the week. Also, I hate having people stare at me, and an 18 year old in a LS400 does just that. Call me self consious, vain, whatever, I just don't like the attention. 20% tint solves that problem nicely. The trooper actually suggested that I raise the tint darkness as an attempt to lessen my fine.

I'd fight the ticket too......if you can prove it (you have the bill when you got the car tinted?).  How much is the fine btw & would it hurt your future insurance rates?  :unsure:    B)

:cheers:

I don't have the invoice for the tint job. :chairshot: I had a friend with a tint shop do this "under the table," so there is no invoice. Not to mention, it could possibly get him in trouble for installing illegal tint on my car. The only way I can have 20% is if I had a skin condition with an accompaning doctors note which I don't. I'm not sure if my insurance will go up? I suppose if I get an enraged phone call from my parents in the comming weeks that they have to pay more on my insurance because of the tint, I'll know. :lol:

I didn't know you could check window tints at night?  My windows aren't tinted except for factory.  Tint *BLEEP*es cops off whichcause them to bother you more about any little thing.  You were lucky with the seatbelt thing, around here they will write that no matter what.

My wife got stopped in "checkpoint charlie" coming off the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel and they didn't write her for a 3 month out of date inspection or not being able to find the registration (I hid it in the glove compartment).  They were out to Dwi someone I guess.

That's what they were doing here-looking to dwi some people. The few people I know that have dwi's, and they all got them from simple little traffic offenses like rolling stops and no turn signals. He saw that I wasn't drunk, so he had to ticket me for something. The only thing in Ruston is a univeristy, and going out on Friday nights is part of the "college experience" to most; the police know this which is why they were checking this in the first place. The trooper was a very nice, so I don't think it would sit well with him that I crammed a few extra people in my car so that they can get home safely.

Here's why I object:

I fully understand that my tint is illegal, and if I were ticketed for 20% tint,  I'd say tell me the who and how much for the ticket, but I do not have 11% tint.

I was waiting for this response. lol First, I was wrongly ticketed, and if I wasn't as I state above, I would gladly put the check in the mail as soon as they release the fine ammount. I want the dark tint on my LS400 for several reasons like cosmetic, cooler interior, and the protection it provides to the interior since my car sits in university lot most days of the week. Also, I hate having people stare at me, and an 18 year old in a LS400 does just that. Call me self consious, vain, whatever, I just don't like the attention. 20% tint solves that problem nicely. The trooper actually suggested that I raise the tint darkness as an attempt to lessen my fine.

I'd fight the ticket too......if you can prove it (you have the bill when you got the car tinted?).  How much is the fine btw & would it hurt your future insurance rates?   :unsure:     B)

:cheers:

I don't have the invoice for the tint job. :chairshot: I had a friend with a tint shop do this "under the table," so there is no invoice. Not to mention, it could possibly get him in trouble for installing illegal tint on my car. The only way I can have 20% is if I had a skin condition with an accompaning doctors note which I don't. I'm not sure if my insurance will go up? I suppose if I get an enraged phone call from my parents in the comming weeks that they have to pay more on my insurance because of the tint, I'll know. :lol:

i don't think ur friend should get into trouble, because you had it done "under the table" in the first place, and secondly, if done with proper people and with an invoice, they usually say that they are not responsible if you get caught with illegal tint. they told me that when i got the 50% in the front, even though it doesn't seem 50%! <_<

Well if it reads inaccuratly and you can prove it then you have grounds to say the meter was inacuratly calibrated and thus any reading from this device is null and void

just liek a radar speeding ticket you have to uderstand the technology in question to fight it.

I never heard of a meter to gauge tint but then again i have a $1200 meter to measure paint thickness on ferrous and non ferrous metals called an elcometer that most people have never heard of.

Here is a link to this type of meter> http://www.edtm.com/VP1165-1.htm

No, the way tint works the lower the number the darker the tint it. The number reflects the % of light that can pass through the tint, a 5% tint only lets 5% of light through while a 40% tint allows 40% through. Took me a while to figure that out too lol.

As for fighting it, always fight it! The worst the judge can do is make you pay the ticket which is just a fix it ticket anyways probably. Legally an innacurate reading will make the ticket invalid. Bear in mind though, those instruments add the factory tint and the aftermarket tint TOGETHER. Lexus windows are tinted pretty dark from the factory as it is, 80% or so so the 11% may be accurate. I've looked into getting mine tinted and the limit is 20% in MD and he told me the most he'd put on the car is 30% to make sure the added tint didnt put me over.

First of all let me say stopping people for sobriety is a beautiful thing. I get stopped a lot leaving D.C. late on a Fri or Sat night, they stop everyone and check them and keep a lot of dangerous people off the road. I'm always more than happy to stop, show my registration and take a breathalyzer to do my part in keeping everyone safe. Stopping people then using that opportunity to nitpick every little legal thing with their vehicle when the driver is doing the right thing and safely getting his friends home is just dirty. Usually cops will point things out like they did with Denny's wife but to actually give you a ticket instead of concentrating on their job of keeping dangerous drunks off the road is just pathetic. If you'd had 20 pounds of crack in the trunk that'd be one thing, but illegal tint? Come on. Sober people should have nothing to fear about a sobreity checkpoint.

I really don't think my car had any tint on it when I got it though you raise a verry interesting point. I found a few pics. Personally, I just don't think it looks like 10%. You??

DSC00768.sized.jpg

Image022_2.sized.jpg

DSC00910.sized.jpg

I'm going to get the windows rechecked at an inspection station or tint shop. If the readings are different, it looks like I'll be in court on 23 March! lol Hopefully, that'll be the case. If not, which I doubt, I'll feel like a real as$ for raising such a fuss for something that is true. lol

I'm with you totally-I think sobriety checks are great. Plus, they check insurance/license/registration. I'd probably end up doing or saying somethings I'd regret if some uninsured person slammed into my car. LA has a cool law that I was informed of when I was dealing with insurance when my car was backed into. It's called "pay to play policy" or something to that effect. They checked my insurance coverage before they gave me authorization to get my car repaired. I think this is great.

It was definantly a dirty move, but doing the right thing hardly ever gets you ahead. He knew what was going on-me being the dd; everyone else in my car was yelling and saying profane things to the trooper. lol I had to get out of the LS, so I could converse with him. He should have warned my and said get it removed by this __ date.

i don't think ur friend should get into trouble, because you had it done "under the table" in the first place, and secondly, if done with proper people and with an invoice, they usually say that they are not responsible if you get caught with illegal tint. they told me that when i got the 50% in the front, even though it doesn't seem 50%!  <_<

I have no documentaton whatsoever. I don't even want to chance the situation. Not to mention, he is about 400miles from where I am. lol

It definately has tint, I know the tint on my dad's 98 was similar to my car and his new one so I'd guess that your 95 is similar. The tint is colored to match the color combination of the car, green or brown. Your car and my car have brown tint, both his LS' had/have green. The green is a little more noticable but they're both tinted to the same darkness. The tint is in the glass its not a film like aftermarket tint. You can see the tint in your first pic, look at the grass through the windows compared to in front of the car.

Most cars come tinted from the factory nowadays, my Explorer is tinted, the Lexus is tinted, the Prius is tinted, Mercedes are tinted (the blue tint on Benzes with grey interior is VERY noticable) etc. My guess is thats where the 11% is coming from.

That said, if the person who tinted it was good he tinted it to 20% including the factory tint, so it may still be wrong.

It definately has tint, I know the tint on my dad's 98 was similar to my car and his new one so I'd guess that your 95 is similar. The tint is colored to match the color combination of the car, green or brown. Your car and my car have brown tint, both his LS' had/have green. The green is a little more noticable but they're both tinted to the same darkness. The tint is in the glass its not a film like aftermarket tint. You can see the tint in your first pic, look at the grass through the windows compared to in front of the car.

Most cars come tinted from the factory nowadays, my Explorer is tinted, the Lexus is tinted, the Prius is tinted, Mercedes are tinted (the blue tint on Benzes with grey interior is VERY noticable) etc. My guess is thats where the 11% is coming from.

That said, if the person who tinted it was good he tinted it to 20% including the factory tint, so it may still be wrong.

thats a good point Steve. although my lex has no tint (at all, too early...build date, 11/14/1989...Job# 472), i would say probably 3/4 of higher end cars come tinted now. even the 200+ ford taurus coems with a 90% tint.

all cars come with "some kind" of tint (to check, look at something outside w/ windows closed, then open windows while still looking at the same thing, there's a little difference)

by the looks of that tint, looks like it's about a 35-50% (even though u said 20, it doesn't look that dark)

all cars come with "some kind" of tint (to check, look at something outside w/ windows closed, then open windows while still looking at the same thing, there's a little difference)

by the looks of that tint, looks like it's about a 35-50% (even though u said 20, it doesn't look that dark)

i have seen the car in person, it is pretty dark...

i have seen the car in person, it is pretty dark...

It is nicely tinted. Somedays the sun makes it look like 35% and others it looks like 20%. I've got a heavy schedule this week, so I might have to wait until next week to go get the tint metered.

Denny, take a look at this pic(it all depends on the sun):

DSC00888.sized.jpg

....this looks like 5%. lol

well if you can find out the exact meter make and model

you can fight on it not being calibrated to the amount of light present at night which is minimal

since it is directly variable to the amount available

which is next to none at night

Is it really worth all the trouble of fighting this? You have illegal tint, that means the cop was right to ticket you...even if it was sort of mean given the situation. I don't think this is like a speeding ticket where it gets more expensive the faster you go. Tint is considered an equipment violation right, so isn't the ticket the same price whether you have 11%, 20%, or anything below the legal 40% in your area? I highly doubt the cops meter was wrong. How much is the ticket?

well if you can find out the exact meter make and model

you can fight on it not being calibrated to the amount of light present at night which is minimal

since it is directly variable to the amount available

which is next to none at night

That's all good to hear!! That's what I'm hoping will happen when I go to get it rechecked. It's easy to see what the amount of sun light present does to the shade of the tint in my above pictures.

Is it really worth all the trouble of fighting this?  You have illegal tint, that means the cop was right to ticket you...even if it was sort of mean given the situation.  I don't think this is like a speeding ticket where it gets more expensive the faster you go.  Tint is considered an equipment violation right, so isn't the ticket the same price whether you have 11%, 20%, or anything below the legal 40% in your area?  I highly doubt the cops meter was wrong.  How much is the ticket?

An hour of my time is worth the ticket I think if I get off, and if not, I think it's a good situation for a young person to learn something from. I've never been to a court room before nor have I witnessed a trial. I won't know what the ticket is going to cost until a couple weeks before my court date...that's what happened for my last ticket-this is a different parish(county), so I'll call them tomorrow and see. I have spoken to someone that has gotten a few tint tickets before, and he said they ran him about $125-$150 each. I'm looking to get off on the fact that I was ticketed for 11%, and if I could find a few state certified inspectors to meter it and say that it's anything but 11%; then, I should be off. Hmmm, if the other meters say the same things, I should get a shrink to write a letter saying I have a severe, harmful phobia of people staring at me at redlights which would allow me to have the tint, or find a dermotologist that will write me a letter saying I have a skin condition that is effected by sunlight. :whistles: :lol: