Headlights For Rx 300

mikecolorama

i have a few questions before i can help:

-what year rx300 do you have? 1999-2000 or 2001-2003

-was there an accident for example, where you need new housings/lenses?

-or do you just want to upgrade the bulbs?

-what kind of system do you have now?

halogen or xenon w/ dynamic auto-leveling

i have a few questions before i can help:

-what year rx300 do you have?        1999-2000  or    2001-2003

-was there an accident for example, where you need new housings/lenses?

-or do you just want to upgrade the bulbs?

-what kind of system do you have now?   

halogen    or      xenon w/ dynamic auto-leveling

i have a 99 RX 300, no accidents, i want to upgrade, and i have halogen. i would like something that looked similar to xenon light. thanks

I'm not 100% percent sure but i believe the 1999-2000 rx bulb sockets are size 9006. You can buy immitation or real 9006 xenon bulbs. just pull the old ones out and put the new ones in. I got some for my toyota camry on eBay. I wanted the color of xenon (white w/tint of blue) like xenon's do.

There are different colors of bulbs as well to choose from. The regular halogens you have now are the kelvin temperature of around 3200k. This is a yellowish color :angry: . At first i bought 6000k xenons for my camry and they turned out not to be white. Then i got a pair of 8500k and they were perfect. They were 20 dollars on eBay but can be purchased from many places.

What you want is the following:

size: 9006 color i suggest: 7000k - 9000k watage: 55w - 100w

This is pretty much the best you can do with the '99-'00 headlights.

If you want the real $250 xenons, you need to get the 2001-2003 rx300 headlight body's because they have the dynamic auto-leveling system. A new law out in a few states states that any car with xenons must have the auto-leveling system preventing blinding of oncoming traffic.

But with the 8500k xenons this is not needed..

If you want the real $250 xenons, you need to get the 2001-2003 rx300 headlight body's because they have the dynamic auto-leveling system. A new law out in a few states states that any car with xenons must have the auto-leveling system preventing blinding of oncoming traffic.

I have a 2000 RX300 with 6000K Philips Ultinon HID. I upgraded my headlights to the 01-03 HID headlights housing. It's impossible to hookup the auto-leveling. The auto-leveling requires the harness for the speed senor and all that stuff which the 99-00 doenst' have. But the auto leveling only moves the headlight couple inches so not really needed.

mikecolorama,

If you just want to change the bulb color from yellow to a whitish color, I personally recommend the "Sylvania Silver Star".

http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerProducts/A...tar/default.htm

Just keep in mind that any light bulbs with tinted paint on it will reduce light output like the ones LexKid630 recommended.

But here's the thing, if you want to go for performance just go with silverstar, if you want to go more with the looks then go with bulbs that LexKid630 recommended.

P.S. Sorry LexKid630,

I didnt mean to say anything negative about your suggestions but I just wanted to tell mikecolorama about other stuff too :)

i understand fully what you are saying. If all you want is to see the road better at night, the silverstars are the best halogens around. But if you want that "white light" xenon gas will prodice it better than halogen gasses. and yes with the immitation xenons aren't as bright as others, but they have the appearance (color) of stock xenons. Pretty much you have 2 options depending on what you want and need...

illumination of the road better:

-silverstar halogens (around $40 at many stores)

-stock xenons on later 2001-2003 rx300 (but new housing needed to fit)

color:

-immitation xenons's on eBay for around $20.

-stock xenons on later 2001-2003 rx300 (but new housing needed to fit)

I would just suggest what rl9905 mentioned; buy the 2001-2003 housings with the stock xenon lamps. They will have the brightness and color you want. the price will be VERY high probably near close to $1000 but it will be done..it will increase the value of the rx as well. It will be one of the only '99 rx300's with the the newer xenon housings/lamps. also you could probably change the reat tail lights as well. Then it will look the EXACT same as the 2001-2003 rx300, except for the interior hangles and wood/leather steering wheel and shift knob; priced at about another $1000....some big smart investments if you ask me...

When changing headlight bulbs, just be aware that some of the replacement bulbs available on the market may last only a year or even less before they degrade or burn out. The Sylvania Silverstar fits into that category. In fact, if you contact Sylvania about the Silverstars, they will essentially acknowledge that the bulbs are designed to go about a year under most applications, even when properly installed without getting any skin oils or other foreign debris on the bulb during the installation process. So if bulb life is important to you (and I think it should be at the prices required), research your replacement bulbs very carefully....

sorry to "butt in" the RX forum.....but i would like to share on this comment

When changing headlight bulbs, just be aware that some of the replacement bulbs available on the market may last only a year or even less before they degrade or burn out. The Sylvania Silverstar fits into that category. In fact, if you contact Sylvania about the Silverstars, they will essentially acknowledge that the bulbs are designed to go about a year under most applications, even when properly installed without getting any skin oils or other foreign debris on the bulb during the installation process. So if bulb life is important to you (and I think it should be at the prices required), research your replacement bulbs very carefully....

sylvania silverstars are one of the best aftermarket replacement bulbs you can buy. as far as bright light and visibility for the halogen market, i haven't used any better (and i have tried about 6 different bulbs)

i have had the same Silverstar bulbs in my LS for over 2 years.....and i drive with my lights turned on at All times.

if you can get 2 years out of ANY halogen bulb nowadays your doing good.

just wanted to share my thoughts. :D

good luck

Ive got a 99 RX300 and i put new bulbs in it. Since it is late tonight, tomorow i will get the exact bulbs i used, but they have the blue color that you might be looking for; however as far as the fog light i was told that you can not change the actual fog light because it is a whole bulb not just an interchangeable bulb. But i did the high and low beams, which include the day time running lights. Does anyone else know about the fog light issue?

Ive got a 99 RX300 and i put new bulbs in it. Since it is late tonight, tomorow i will get the exact bulbs i used, but they have the blue color that you might be looking for; however as far as the fog light i was told that you can not change the actual fog light because it is a whole bulb not just an interchangeable bulb. But i did the high and low beams, which include the day time running lights. Does anyone else know about the fog light issue?

What are you talking about? You were able to change your low beams and high beam bulbs but not the fog? You should look closer at the fog, yes you can change the bulbs on the fog. Hey use the exact same bulbs as the low beams 9006. Well in my suggestion, maybe the best way to reach the passenger side fog is to remove the "Windsheild wiper Tube" and for the Driver side fog, take out your battery. Then you'll be able to reach in and change your fog lights.

I would just suggest what rl9905 mentioned; buy the 2001-2003 housings with the stock xenon lamps. They will have the brightness and color you want. the price will be VERY high probably near close to $1000 but it will be done..it will increase the value of the rx as well. It will be one of the only '99 rx300's with the the newer xenon housings/lamps. also you could probably change the reat tail lights as well. Then it will look the EXACT same as the 2001-2003 rx300, except for the interior hangles and wood/leather steering wheel and shift knob; priced at about another $1000....some big smart investments if you ask me...

Actually,

I bought a brand new set of tail lights for under 400 bucks.

I also bought a pair of 01-03 RX300 HID Headlights for only 200bucks from ebay. tail lights and headlights Under $1000 bucks,

I also bought a wooden steering wheel, a Wooden shifter and the new air bag with the chrome Lexus logo on it. I just haven't gotten the chance to install it yet. I'm still looking for the 01-03 style front grill.

My original RX is a 2000 and it's becoming an 01-03 RX :)

i have a 99 RX 300, no accidents, i just want to upgrade, and i have halogen.  i want something similar to the looks of xenon.  thanks.

Here is a helpful link if you are looking for HID Conversion

HID

BTW, 6000K (2800 lumen) emits 20% less light than 4100K (3500 lumen), but gives you that cool blue light.

• 10 months later...
I'm not 100% percent sure but i believe the 1999-2000 rx bulb sockets are size 9006. You can buy immitation or real 9006 xenon bulbs. just pull the old ones out and put the new ones in. I got some for my toyota camry on eBay. I wanted the color of xenon (white w/tint of blue) like xenon's do.

There are different colors of bulbs as well to choose from. The regular halogens you have now are the kelvin temperature of around 3200k. This is a yellowish color  :angry: . At first i bought 6000k xenons for my camry and they turned out not to be white. Then i got a pair of 8500k and they were perfect. They were 20 dollars on eBay but can be purchased from many places. 

What you want is the following:

size: 9006            color i suggest: 7000k - 9000k            watage: 55w - 100w

This is pretty much the best you can do with the '99-'00 headlights.

hey guys,

I have a 2001 RX300 Silversport. My headlights are the regular halogens. This headlight housing isnt the "auto-leveling" one you guys mention of before right? HIDs didn't come with my car so I would need to replace the headlight housing if i wanted the "real" HIDs, correct? I been thinking about getting new lights for my car so just wanted to figure out my options correctly. the silverstars definitely look nice. There are soo many 9006 "imitation" xenons on ebay. Do you guys have a recommendation?

I am still not sure if I just want the silverstars (bright white) or if i want a kinda minorly blueish tint light. any feedback is greatly appreciated! :)

hey guys,

I have a 2001 RX300 Silversport. My headlights are the regular halogens.  This headlight housing isnt the "auto-leveling" one you guys mention of before right?  HIDs didn't come with my car so I would need to replace the headlight housing if i wanted the "real" HIDs, correct? I been thinking about getting new lights for my car so just wanted to figure out my options correctly.  the silverstars definitely look nice.  There are soo many 9006 "imitation" xenons on ebay.  Do you guys have a recommendation?

I am still not sure if I just want the silverstars (bright white) or if i want a kinda minorly blueish tint light.  any feedback is greatly appreciated! :)

i'm not trying to mess with that aftermarket mess...there's a guy on ebay selling oem HID ballasts with rebased 9006 oem bulbs. that means they took the factory ballasts and retrofitted it for our power plugs and the factory bulbs and retrofitted the base of the bulb to fit 9006 housing. the bulbs are supposed to be focused for the reflector type housings as well. it's supposed to be completely plug and play...i plan on getting these after xmas (pockets are looking kinda tight right now :( ) but i think somebody else on here might have them already. these are the real koito/denso joints... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/9006-HB4-HI...1QQcmdZViewItem