94 Es300 ... Starts Then Dies

My 94 Es300(65k) starts but dies after about 15-20 seconds( I reverse it about 10 feet). It will restart but dies immediatley. I just replaced the battery and I think it may have something to do with the security system. Any help will be appreciated.

Another question: Will an ODB 2 code reader work with this car?

good answer

i would asy the fuel pump

pull up the back seat and see if you can hear it when you turn the key before starting?

also look for the little scrader valve on the fuel rail

looks like the tire air valve

and pres it in to see if fuel squirts up or dribbles

it should shoot out not dribble mening low fuel pressure

bbsal: I thought it could be a security problem with the antitheft system. A couple of months ago the same problem manifest itself, after I had removed the battery. Someone told me that maybe it is the antitheft system so I resetted the security system by arming the system and then turning it off again ( I can't remember exactly what I did but the car worked fine afterwards ....no problems). Now it doing the same thing again.

I will check the fuel system as suggested and report my finding tomorrow.

sk is right.there is no fuel kill on the alarm that i ever heard of.also the car just wouldnt start if it was the security.check the fuel.also it might be the computer.if your saying you disconnected the battery and then it was fine before then maybe the cpu is going bad and when you reset it it fixed it temperarly.first check fuel then check the cpu if its not the fuel.

also this may sound dumb but check the wires for all the coil packs on the spark plugs and make sure none is disconnected.i doubt thats it but its worth a shot.still sounds like fuel to me but sometimes cars like to trick you and it could be something simple like that.

sk: I couldn't locate that scrader valve. I looked on the fuel rail but I am stumped as to where it is. Is it on the left side(standing in front) of the car or right side?

Also I was able to start the car this morning(it starts every time) and rev it a bit before it dies.

My 94 Es300(65k) starts but dies after about 15-20 seconds( I reverse it about 10 feet). It will restart but dies immediatley. I just replaced the battery and I think it may have something to do with the security system. Any help will be appreciated.

Another question: Will an ODB 2 code reader work with this car?

I had similar problem, it turned out to be the EFI main relay, $35 dealer item. Not saying this must be your problem though. (finding a good and honest mechanic is the most important thing in life)

'Sup y'all? I had 92 ES (i now have a 93) that did almost the same thing- it would start and as long as i gave it gas, it'd rev up, but it wouldn't idle or move without dying almost immediately. Found out that my air intake hose had a crack in it right after the mass air flow sensor, along one of the "expansion joints" (or whatever you'd call them). This caused air to enter the pipe and bypass the sensor, which i guess confused the ECU and shut off the engine. Fixed it with electrical tape (cheap, but effective; Lexus wants $80 for the pipe alone). Check your hose- it could be as simple as that. Hope I helped!

I have talked about this hose in many previous posts here and on CL for rough running idles.

It is probably the most overlooked problem part on Toyota and Lexus engines. The funny part is, the hole can be as small as a pin prick and still give you problems.

Easy DIY fix.

steviej

• 5 months later...

Ritchie,

I had exactly the same problem you had. In july of 2003 my 1994 ES300 would start and then die within a few seconds unless I kept my foot on the gas pedal. I read and checked everything listed on this Lexus Club forum, nothing helped. I finally broke down and took it to a dealer. There was no codes to help diagnose the problem. They replaced the idle control valve. I was told that this was a common problem on the lexus. The idle has worked fine for four months after that. A Lexus dealer will usually charge over $200 for this replacement. I have heard that this part can be disassembled, cleaned and reused. That might be something to try first. If cleaning doesnt help, you will have to replace the part. I hope you or other club members can benefit from my costly dealer visit.

Good luck, Nigel

Ritchie and other club members,

The idle control valve (that is what my Lexus dealer called it, it may have other names) has a metal case about 2"x2"x1 1/2 " and is attached to the bottom of the throttle assy. It is located approx 5" below the hose clamp on the 3" dia x 9" long rubber air hose. I hope that helps.

Nigel

• 17 years later...

so my 1994 lexus es300 was smoking, but it still ran so then i had another engine put in with less miles and i drove it home from the mechanic and then after words it would start then die every time. what another mechanic told me that the computer that needed to be reset. what i needed to do was turn the key to the spot before it it starts the car and leave it there for 10 minutes then turn the key off then back on again for 10 minutes then off again and then on for 30 minutes and put it in drive for like a minute then back in park and start the car. it worked and my car has started normally ever since. i hope this helps someone

• 1 month later...

Hi. Got 2000 ES300 similar issue except engine starts but stops shortly after maybe within several seconds. If it does start and can stay on, stepping on the gas pedal makes engine die immediately. The dashboard shows engine light and "TRAC OFF" light is on. Prior to all this, no indicator lights were shown to warn an issue was approaching. I've read different responses online and here's the list I gathered which should be the root cause. My car is disabled. Please help!

1. Fuel pump
2. Idle air control valve
3. Air intake hose
4. Mass airflow sensor
5. EFI main relay

Edited by LexusGal21
Update status